Kyle Turris only 170 lbs?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
It is metric. Turris is 170 kg. He is very densely muscled. Muscle is heavier than fat after all.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
6000 calories is 3 Delissio pizzas. Seriously....if you look at processed and unhealthy foods, it's surprising how little you'd have to eat in a day to get to 6k.

Eating healthy, on the other hand....that would be one heck of a lot of food.

240 calories in an 8 ounce skinless chicken breast. 30 calories per ounce. Thus 200 ounces of skinless chicken breast is 6000 calories. 12 and a half pounds of chicken per day! Wow! That is a lot of clean healthy food to get to 6000 calories.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
This reminds me of Phelps' 12,000 calorie diet of junk food.

Here it is:

Breakfast: Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise. Two cups of coffee. One five-egg omelet. One bowl of grits. Three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar. Three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Lunch: One pound of enriched pasta. Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread. Energy drinks packing 1,000 calories.

Dinner: One pound of pasta. An entire pizza. More energy drinks.

You can Google it for pictures to get an idea.

Most people don't realize how a lot of the elite athletes have to eat junk food to keep up with their calorie consumption. Its impossible to get 12,000 calories in chicken,fish and veggies.

That's why pros are often found at McDonald's and such. That and its so good after a night of drinking.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com

Here it is:

Breakfast: Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise. Two cups of coffee. One five-egg omelet. One bowl of grits. Three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar. Three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Lunch: One pound of enriched pasta. Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread. Energy drinks packing 1,000 calories.

Most people don't realize how a lot of the elite athletes have to eat junk food to keep up with their calorie consumption. Its impossible to get 12,000 calories in chicken,fish and veggies.

That's why pros are often found at McDonald's and such. That and its so good after a night of drinking.

Think it was the first series of 24/7, Colby Armstrong went to the team doctor complaining about something or other. They told him he wasn't getting enough calories. Sent him to McDonalds to get a milkshake and a burger.

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa
Wouldn't be surprised at all if he was 170 - that's not as skinny as people think. Slim for sure, but not skinny.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Turris was 170 lbs when he was drafted. His current weight is what is listed on nhl.com and hockeydb.com and tsn.ca.

Nathan Gerbe weighs 178, if Gerbe weighs 178 how does Turris possibly weigh 170?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Turris was 170 lbs when he was drafted. His current weight is what is listed on nhl.com and hockeydb.com and tsn.ca.

Nathan Gerbe weighs 178, if Gerbe weighs 178 how does Turris possibly weigh 170?

You can't possibly believe Gerbe weighs 178 lbs...

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
You can't possibly believe Gerbe weighs 178 lbs...

It was an example but I don't beleive Turris is still 170 when he was clearly weighing that much when he was drafted. Good to know Turris has put on no weight since then according to the experts!

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Your snark makes you sound stupid.

I'm 5'6" fit and weight 165, It's quite reasonable for him to weigh 178 as a professional athlete.

Think before you snark...;)

Gerbe isn't 5'6".

If you're fit and this guy is smaller than you, do you really think him weighing close to 15 pounds more than you is a good thing? Don't you think that would hinder him on the ice?

It was an example but I don't beleive Turris is still 170 when he was clearly weighing that much when he was drafted. Good to know Turris has put on no weight since then according to the experts!

Turris wasn't 170 lbs when he was drafted. Someone 6 feet and that skinny can't possibly weigh 170 lbs.

Anyways, I'm gonna stop playing scale sheriff. You guys keep on believing everything you read though! No need for any critical thinking in the 21st century!

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Gerbe isn't 5'6".

If you're fit and this guy is smaller than you, do you really think him weighing close to 15 pounds more than you is a good thing? Don't you think that would hinder him on the ice?

Turris wasn't 170 lbs when he was drafted. Someone 6 feet and that skinny can't possibly weigh 170 lbs.

Anyways, I'm gonna stop playing scale sheriff. You guys keep on believing everything you read though! No need for any critical thinking in the 21st century!

It quite literally says weighed and measured by Central Scouting. It's not like he was weighed by some sort of individual who wanted to make Turris heavier then he was.

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=460951 (Won't link the pdf, but the CSR list under North American Skaters makes it quite clear)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Gerbe isn't 5'6".

This might come as a shock to you, but sometimes what you read, AND critical thought actually match up.

I realize that you're coming from the conspiracy theory angle, but it also appears as though you're not exactly in tune with actually body weights and sizes.

Gerbe is listed at 5'5", which for our purposes is the basically the same height as me. At 165, I know that it would be quite easy to add 15lbs without blowing up or looking silly, and it would likely be necessary if I were to play in the NHL. 5lbs of muscle a leg would be a reasonable expectation for a professional hockey player over what I have, appropriate for bootcamps and rec sports, and that's not even considering the necessary added core strength and overall conditioning that a short player would need to compete with a league of bigger men.

For a point of reference, I have a friend an inch taller than me who is just shy of 200lbs, and he is an athlete, not a juice monkey (baseball player of all sports).

So you see, applying critical thought actually works against you and your opinion. Less a sheriff methinks, more the simpleton deputy. ;)

Anyways, as you say, time to move on.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa

Here it is:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
6000 calories is 3 Delissio pizzas. Seriously....if you look at processed and unhealthy foods, it's surprising how little you'd have to eat in a day to get to 6k.

Eating healthy, on the other hand....that would be one heck of a lot of food.

Well yeah of course. If I hit 3000 calories of clean food in a day I can't even move. Doubling that and sometimes almost tripling that is something I seriously can't imagine.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
A lot of people react to food and calories differently. Healthy or not. Chances are he has a better metabolism than you do, and he's most likely a lot more active than you are. A lot of athletes get a lot of liquid calories as well in shakes, etc.

Anyway I wouldn't be surprised at all if Turris is in the 170 range.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
He probably comes in to the season weighing more than what he does at the end of the season. His Sens weight is probably inflated and his team Canada weight may actually be dead on.

GSP steps on the scale at 170 before fights at 5'11. Even with all the water depletion GSP appears heavier than turris. And yes, the 2 inch height difference factors in, but still.

Turris probably works pretty hard to get in over 180-185. A very lean 6'1 185 is actually pretty jacked, more than I expect turris is. Most guys real lean and over 210 are on something, although there are exceptions.

6000 calls a day is definitely an effort. But his diet isn't THAT clean. It's an impossible amount of food to handle if you aren't chowing down easy to eat carbs like breads and pasta. These guys are on the ice for 1 to 2.5 hours almost every day with in season work outs on the side plus many have naturally revved up metabolism. They can handle the weekly trip to mcdonalds (or maybe more) even some of them do it too much and show a lack of desire to fuel their performance properly.

Last edited:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
170 sounds about right for Turris - he is a very slight guy.

Of course, official NHL heights and weights get inflated like crazy. (In the case of Dustin Byfuglien, the weight gets reduced, but that's an exception!) I'm always amused by the NFL combine, where they get true heights and weights on the draft prospects. As it turns out, the flight to Indianapolis for the combine seems to shrink guys by an inch or two from what they were in college program, and cause them to instantly be 20 pounds lighter. ;-)

As for NHLers, almost all of these guys are incredibly lean. They have to be that lean to survive in pro hockey - it's a speed game now, and you simply can't afford to be carrying any extra weight. They're all eating clean, drinking those funky green shakes and having Tony Greco or someone like him barking in their ear all off-season...

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
Look what Karlsson, who's probably a buck sixty five, did to Ovi this year. Who would have thought Ovi would have got the worst of the contact? Sometimes its technique , timing, and balance when making contact.

Ad

Ad

Ad