Kyle Okposo retires

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
From the day this guy entered the league all the way till the end he was good to score a point every time he played the Penguins. An awesome player.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Solid career - 17 NHL seasons, $60M+ in career earnings, and a Stanley Cup.

It’s strange to think about the above all together. He was always one of those guys you never think of for some reason, maybe it’s the teams he played for, not sure. I remember seeing him walk up to the podium on draft day though. Time flies.

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
Did he thank Tavares for all the extra money he made in his career because of him
Wouldn’t that be Matt Moulson?

Kyle Okposo ..the 2006 first round pick of Neil Smith’s 40 day turn as Islanders GM. Andrew McDonald, apparently drafted in the 7th round as a favor to coach Ted Dolan, after 6 years was traded to the Flyers for a 2nd round pick (later traded for Johnny Boychuk) and a 3rd round pick (used to draft Ilya Sorokin).

seems like a good guy although you never really know about celebrities and athletes (Bill Cosby, Joe Paterno). Hopefully he doesn’t have any lingering concussion problems and he went out holding Lord Stanley’s Cup..even if he was a late season trade.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So happy he was able to get a cup and go out on top. One of my all time favorite islanders.

People might not realize but early on and through his career he had several career jeopardizing injuries. I feel that’s why he never become the player he could been but he still was damn good! The Phaneuf Pre-season head shot. The torn labrum. And then the detached retina. All on the island and he came back and still showed up the best he could.

Some of the best games and most exciting games were when Okposo played like a bull in a china shop. Thats when he was at his best and most dominant. Great with the fans. By all accounts great teammate. I hope he comes back to the island at so point so the fans can give him his flowers and show him love.
Okposo was the best Islander in that series versus the Pens in 2013. The "other guy" didn't scare me in the least.

Reactions: SI90

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Reading that letter, and it ending in a Mark Twain quote... I'm quite sure Okposo and I would get along famously. Good guy, good career. I hope he enjoys the next one!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
His fight against Niskanaen woke the isles up.
I hate using the Iginla comparison because some folks will do the whole "oh I see because both are black huh" thing, but Okposo in that series started to look like an Iginla-lite. Physical, could score and would fight if needed.

Unfortunately, injuries kind of derailed that. I also don't know if Kyle ever had that killer instinct Iginla did to bring that sort of rough game every night. But there were times when he went powerforward and was really effective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad