New York Islanders: Kyle MacLean signs 3 year extension 775k AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Every offseason some vets with something left in the tank (think Parise, Perry, etc 3 years ago) who offer more than MacLean does sign for vet minimums, so trust me when I tell you that this signing doesn't really do anything in terms of what Lou needs to do.
Geez....this is a good, no, better than good signing based on the kids play last season. He looks to be a solid replacement for one of Martin or Clutter which is absolutely an immediate need to do. A Perry or Parise would be the wrong signing to fill this need.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
At that AAV you sign him for as long as you can...

Lou's has had a savvy offseason...
- Hogberg (solidfying 3rd goalie position)
- Tsyplakov (top KHL UFA, potential bottom six replacement)
- Got a Russian goalie whisperer (Naumovs) in Bridgeport
- MacLean on a long term deal at league minimum (775K)

Also signed Warren Marshall who likely is just minor league depth but nonetheless could turn into something.

This draft has three Russian goaltenders way at the top of the list among goalies.

However, the team hasn't drafted a Russian since Iskhakov, who was on his way to UCONN at the time.

Is the Naumov addition a tip of the hat?

One of them, Yegorov, is playing in the USHL...

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Every offseason some vets with something left in the tank (think Parise, Perry, etc 3 years ago) who offer more than MacLean does sign for vet minimums, so trust me when I tell you that this signing doesn't really do anything in terms of what Lou needs to do.

Perif you like to look towards the future, locking up the 4C at this price for 3 more years provides flexibility in the future.

In contrast to the previous 4C cost (Casey at $2.5mm AAV) maybe Lou is adjusting his philosophy to save on the bottom six in order to beef up the top 6 contracts?

Reactions: Potvottier

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Atlanta
Geez....this is a good, no, better than good signing based on the kids play last season. He looks to be a solid replacement for one of Martin or Clutter which is absolutely an immediate need to do. A Perry or Parise would be the wrong signing to fill this need.
People bag on the Toronto model, yet advocate for it in the next breath.

Reactions: Throttle

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
MacLean was a breath of fresh air this season.

His re-upping at the league minimum is a no-brainer.

He's gotta keep it up but he is a "man" now. This wasn't the introduction of a 20-year-old.

Thus, he is what he is, but he brings what he is every night, so to speak. Roy will be able to make easy of him.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
You need a mix of both MacLean’s and Parise/Perry’s.

That way you have the young guys pushing the old guys and the old guys pulling the young guys. Trust me, I know what I’m talking about.
Lou signs a younger 4th line center for the league minimum for all 3 years and people find the bad in this?

I don't think anyone here wants to see the Isles become all shinny, no jam. But adding one player like a Marner (or Nylander-my choice over Marner) does not mean Roy and the Islanders will abandon the foundation they laid down. On the contrary. He should be able to add the offense we need versus what Roy had to do in the playoffs, putting Casey Cizikas on the first line and then rolling 3 other lines that don't score much.

MacLean was a breath of fresh air this season.

His re-upping at the league minimum is a no-brainer.

He's gotta keep it up but he is a "man" now. This wasn't the introduction of a 20-year-old.

Thus, he is what he is, but he brings what he is every night, so to speak. Roy will be able to make easy of him.
Next, all Lou has to do is walk away from Clutterbuck and Martin.

And if he really wants to make a trade that shakes up the room, deal Cizikas.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Lou signs a younger 4th line center for the league minimum for all 3 years and people find the bad in this?

I don't think anyone here wants to see the Isles become all shinny, no jam. But adding one player like a Marner (or Nylander-my choice over Marner) does not mean Roy and the Islanders will abandon the foundation they laid down. On the contrary. He should be able to add the offense we need versus what Roy had to do in the playoffs, putting Casey Cizikas on the first line and then rolling 3 other lines that don't score much.

Next, all Lou has to do is walk away from Clutterbuck and Martin.

And if he really wants to make a trade that shakes up the room, deal Cizikas.
Cizikas did look functionable on wing further up the lineup, but I’d also be curious if moving on from Clutterbuck and Martin means trading Cizikas as that whole line has been a sum of it’s parts.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Cizikas did look functionable on wing further up the lineup, but I’d also be curious if moving on from Clutterbuck and Martin means trading Cizikas as that whole line has been a sum of it’s parts.
I hope we find out this season.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
I think Cizikas still has a couple more solid years left in him and could be useful without Martin and Clutter. The latter two have just been beat up their whole careers, neither were ever great skaters, and their offense was limited besides Clutter’s good shot, so they really need pieces around them to make up for their flaws. Cizikas is more of a swiss army knife player, not great at anything but does everything decently. Maclean is a similar player in that regard and I don’t mind having two players like that in the bottom six at all. The fact that they’re both centers who can play on the wing is just another big plus for them each.

Reactions: Lek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad