Confirmed with Link: Kuznetzov (50%) for 2025 3rd - mutual contract term.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Gonna be awkward when they trade KK in middle of hosting Jarvis.
Tom: "Hey Seth, we've got salary room to give you that 8 year deal AND we just made a trade to get you another winger for your line"
Seth: "That's great, I'll call you back in a bit to talk it over, I'm at this wedding with KK and..."
Tom: "Oh that's now? Well this is awkward, let me know when to talk with KK as well since this involves him"
Seth: "what?"
Tom: "what?"

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yep. He and Francis both. Neither JR, nor Francis was even here when we drafted Svech. How much of that was not having any scouting in Russia? Who knows.

From 2002 - 2013, JR drafted zero Russians in Carolina.
From 2014-2020 as GM of the Penguins, he never drafted a single Russian as far as I can tell.
And in the 3 years he's been with Vancouver, although he's not GM now, they've drafted 1 Russian. 7th rounder Kirill Kudryavtsev, who plays in the OHL.

And in Francis's 4 years as GM in Carolina, he didn't draft a single Russian out of 33 picks. And in his 3 drafts in Seattle, he's drafted 1 Russian. Goalie Semyon Vyazovoi in the 6th round.

Since Dundon took over, the Canes have drafted about 15 Russians in 5 drafts.
Well his scouting staff drafted Svech, and I doubt they would’ve done it different if RF was still there.

Whatever JR had to say about russians definitely seemed to carry over a bit into RF but I remember thinking it was also a function of our limited scouting budget? I remember JR had a thing post Knyazev especially about drafting them in the first round, and I believe he even said so. He also traded for Markov and we had Babs and Semin so I think it was limited to drafting. I think once we didn’t want to pay for scouts it just became natural we didn’t draft there and that carried into RF’s time. Svech was also already over here so I think both JR and RF wouldn’t have hesitated to draft him.

We clearly have changed that around. Time will tell if that pays off, but we definitely end up with some good prospects that are dropping because of other teams fears. The Nikishin situation will be interesting to see if it went south if we would keep doing it. He’s going to be 24 when he gets here? Only three years to ufa, and would he be one of those that gets a two year elc? I forget that’s a thing anymore but I read an article that mentioned Nikishin and they thought he’d get a two year elc though they didn’t back it up with anything. If he only has a two year that second contract becomes huge, and if he like a lot of Russians wanted New York or something like that he could start applying pressure. I know as fans if we ended up only having 2 or 3 years of Nikishin (assuming he’s what is hoped of him) after waiting for years to get him a lot of people around here might sour on taking them! Knowing the team I doubt it would change a thing.

Glad Gleb is here early, you don’t get quality Russian prospects over here early often like that.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Hence the "sorta"...he's not really a 2nd liner, but he did have a burst to start last season where he was playing like a legit 2C. Kuzy wasn't really a 2nd liner either but of all the guys we have on the roster they were the only 2 that kinda could be 2nd liners if things worked out well.
I would be shocked if KK is opening night 2C. seemed obvious that RBA was done with him last year. eye test confirmed that. he's a winger if he wants ice time with the Canes. i have said previously move Necas to 2c. someone else commented about Jarvis being the 2c which i think is even better than Necas if team decides to break up the aho jarvis pairing. jarvis to me is a 200 foot player right now. takes playing defense seriously. might be an excellent center. regardless, one of jarvis or necas should take the 2C slot IMO as their style of play benefits more from having ice to work with, particularly necas. he does battle on the boards but still isn't great at it.

if its jarvis, I would roll the following:

carrier-aho-svech
kk-jarvis-necas
marty-staal-jack ros
lemieux-drury-fast

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
It would be a bit of a rebuke of Rod , I would think. “I’m willing to give up some money not to play for that guy.”
He did scratch him in the playoffs for a scrub that barely saw the ice in a series we really could have used some kuznetsov offense. If he goes to Russia it’s all no big deal but if he signs with another nhl team that would be pretty frustrating

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It would be a bit of a rebuke of Rod , I would think. “I’m willing to give up some money not to play for that guy.”

It'd just confirm what we already know. Guys that are questionable in their defensive play or effort on the ice, Rod is going to trust them less and they'll likely find themselves scratched or behind other players that Rod DOES trust to play the game he wants them to play.

It's been like this from the very beginning. It's why we traded Skinner before he ever had a chance to play for RBA. It's why Necas is in the position he's in, and apparently it's at least partially why Kuzy left.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It'd just confirm what we already know. Guys that are questionable in their defensive play or effort on the ice, Rod is going to trust them less and they'll likely find themselves scratched or behind other players that Rod DOES trust to play the game he wants them to play.

It's been like this from the very beginning. It's why we traded Skinner before he ever had a chance to play for RBA. It's why Necas is in the position he's in, and apparently it's at least partially why Kuzy left.
While this is true, I think it's fair to point out:

1) Skinner ran into the same issues with multiple coaches (Peters and RBA here), even after leaving here got demoted to the 3rd line a few times in Buffalo and eventually bought out.

2) Necas had the 2nd most ES TOI and 3rd most OA TOI of any Canes forward last year, so it wasn't like Rod wasn't trusting him. He put him out there ES more than everyone but Aho. I agree he had crappy line mates (but anyone on the 2nd line would have had that case), but it's not like Rod wasn't putting him out there a LOT. He hasn't trusted him at C though, but nothing in Necas's game has screamed "center" to me.

3) Due to off-ice and on-ice (out of shape, lackluster play on both ends) the Caps also wanted nothing to do with Kuzy. Even before he moved on, you stated it was a huge risk banking on Kuzy re-capturing any of his prior magic. Sounds like the Canes probably didn't want to bank on it either (at least at that cap hit).

Reactions: DaveG

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He wasn’t part of the long term plan so during a reset makes the most sense for moving on, but we could’ve used his skill for sure. At the end of the day if the coach won’t play a guy the way he needs to be played to be effective than something has to give. Kuzy won’t change, but I think he’s capable of being of being an impact player still. He seemed to fit in real well with the team and is a clutch scorer. Unfortunate, especially if he stays in the league and shows he can contribute but we are what we are as a team. We’re married to Rod and who he likes.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad