Value of: Kuznetsov to the Avs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I know there's politics to think about in Washington but IMO these two teams make great trading partners with a good historical relationship.

With limited Cs available around the league, I'd guess McFarland makes a play for a guy who can fill the hole for a few years at least. Even though I'm not his biggest fan, Kuznetsov seems like a great fit. With the spectre of a mini-rebuild/retool in Washington looming, it might make sense to move this guy to change the makeup of the team.

My first thought is something around Girard + 1st, as Washinton is also a team that would seem to benefit from adding a player like Girard. Other pieces would be in play but curious what Caps fans think of this idea.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I know there's politics to think about in Washington but IMO these two teams make great trading partners with a good historical relationship.

With limited Cs available around the league, I'd guess McFarland makes a play for a guy who can fill the hole for a few years at least. Even though I'm not his biggest fan, Kuznetsov seems like a great fit. With the spectre of a mini-rebuild/retool in Washington looming, it might make sense to move this guy to change the makeup of the team.

My first thought is something around Girard + 1st, as Washinton is also a team that would seem to benefit from adding a player like Girard. Other pieces would be in play but curious what Caps fans think of this idea.
As a Caps fan this would interest me.

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
Definitely would be interesting for the Avs. Don't think the caps owner wants to rebuild while Ovi goes for the goal record though

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

If the Caps trade Kuznetsov it’s a sign they’re fully committed to a rebuild and have no De Facto 1C.

In that scenario Girard has superficially lower value, he wouldn’t be a piece Washington would want and the AVs 1st will be late. I’d imagine the Caps would look for better elsewhere.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Why would the Avs need Kuznetsov? They could repeat without needing him. The Avs maybe add some depth, but more importantly they just need to make sure they are healthy going into the playoffs again.
Highly unlikely.

They dont have a 2nd line Center at all right now. A pretty critical vacancy in the roster, especially when you look at the Center depth of the other top teams in the league. They actually need a 2C more then they do just general depth.

That said, Kuznetsov isn't the 2C we need at all. He's making too much for what we can reasonably afford for a 2C and isn't a very good fit stylistically for what we need either.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Do a trade for Luke Schenn. That’s the exact player the Avs need. A defensive bottom pair RHD that hits and PKs. Play him with Girard. Have three very good pairs. Win the Cup again. 2C isn't a big need. ERod can handle when Landy is back. Win with good defense. Get schenn.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Do a trade for Luke Schenn. That’s the exact player the Avs need. A defensive bottom pair RHD that hits and PKs. Play him with Girard. Have three very good pairs. Win the Cup again. 2C isn't a big need. ERod can handle when Landy is back. Win with good defense. Get schenn.

:laugh: How to ruin any ounce of credibility.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Why would the Avs need Kuznetsov? They could repeat without needing him. The Avs maybe add some depth, but more importantly they just need to make sure they are healthy going into the playoffs again.

1676774027408.gif

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
I like Kuzy but this season he has been mediocre. he also is too expensive and not a good fit for the Avs, considering his play style. Id rather try to poach away one of the youngsters (McMichael, Lapierre... even Protas) instead.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I like Kuzy but this season he has been mediocre. he also is too expensive and not a good fit for the Avs, considering his play style. Id rather try to poach away one of the youngsters (McMichael, Lapierre... even Protas) instead.
No thanks. Smart money would bet that Protas and McMichael are regulars for the Caps next year. The Caps are looking to get younger and faster and trading guys like that away doesn’t make sense (unless it’s as part of a package for a much better established player.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
If the Caps trade Kuznetsov it’s a sign they’re fully committed to a rebuild and have no De Facto 1C.

In that scenario Girard has superficially lower value, he wouldn’t be a piece Washington would want and the AVs 1st will be late. I’d imagine the Caps would look for better elsewhere.
They still have Backstrom, Strome and some young guys in the system coming up. How does adding a 24 year old top-4 defenseman signed for the next 5 years not fit into a rebuild/retool? The Caps have 0 defensemen outside of Carlson signed after next season

Reactions: GRob83

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Pretty much this and Kuz doesn't exactly have a very good track record recently.

I seriously doubt that Sakic would even be interested.

That being said maybe Kuz would be inspired being in a mile high city?:naughty:

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
They still have Backstrom, Strome and some young guys in the system coming up. How does adding a 24 year old top-4 defenseman signed for the next 5 years not fit into a rebuild/retool? The Caps have 0 defensemen outside of Carlson signed after next season
With all due respect. Girard is not a top-4 defenseman you rebuild with nor that you want mentoring young DMen. Aside Kurtis MacDermid, Girard is the only AVs regular rotation DMan who’s a Negative +/- (and significantly so). He’s a far worse John Carlson. By the time the Caps will be competing again, Girard will have gone the way of a poor and handicapped man’s Tyson Barrie or be retired.

Last edited:

Fren

Feb 18, 2023
Good defense and Schenn do not belong in the same post.
What? He's a solid defensive defenseman. He plays good fundamental defense. His foot speed will always limit him, but to say he isn't good defensively is evidence you haven't watched him in some time.

Is he capable of the odd blunder? Sure, but what defenseman isn't?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I wonder if they'd be better off adding a 3rd team that wants Girard. He's signed long-term and i wouldn’t be keen on adding him. Rather have another pick or two or a prospect than him.

aerovette99

Jan 11, 2014
Atlanta
This guy that's 5'10" is a top 4 defenseman?? What does he do when you get a big Lucic sized dude behind the net? Does he jump on his back?? I'm just not familiar with Girard. I've heard his name but am not familiar with his play. He's a minus 10 on a loaded Colorado team

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
This guy that's 5'10" is a top 4 defenseman?? What does he do when you get a big Lucic sized dude behind the net? Does he jump on his back?? I'm just not familiar with Girard. I've heard his name but am not familiar with his play. He's a minus 10 on a loaded Colorado team

McDavid is only a +2, guess he's barely better than Girard. We all know +/- is the best stat to use for how good a player is.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Says the guy that wanted Turcotte over Byram. Woof.

Avs don’t need a 2C once Landy is back.

Lex-Mack-Rants
Landy-ERod-Nuke

That top six is just fine.

Malign-Newhook-JTC is a solid 3rd line too

Cogs-Helm-LOC (great line 4).
Nieto

This team has adequate forwards. Lots of speed and PK guys.

EJ is washed. He sucks this year. He’s the weakest link. They need a bottom pair defender so we have the leagues best D again and not these AHL dudes like Englund and MacDermid dragging down Girard or Byram.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I think a good way to ruin any ounce of credibility would have been to loudly proclaim that Girard was one of the top 20 dmen in the league based on team based shooting metrics. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad