Kuemper issue

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Bump..... Sabres fan.

Do the Coyotes need a RHD for next year? Wondering about a Kuemper for Ristolainen swap in the off season. Similar cap hits and both are UFA 2022. Who are your D that need protecting for expansion.
I do that in a heartbeat if I am the Coyotes GM. Coyotes would need a goalie to expose but that is probably not a big issue.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Bump..... Sabres fan.

Do the Coyotes need a RHD for next year? Wondering about a Kuemper for Ristolainen swap in the off season. Similar cap hits and both are UFA 2022. Who are your D that need protecting for expansion.

Would need Tokarski in the deal to fulfill exposure requirements.

Reactions: Team Cozens

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
Is any team going to expose a starting goaltender? Would Ronnie Franchise be interested? Kuemper + for our Kraken pick and an exposed D? I do wonder who other teams will expose and what kind of contracts the Kraken be willing to eat. Can there be other teams willing to wheel and deal too?

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Really? Both are pending UFAs. If they’re losing Ullmark, Kuemper ought to be more important to them than Ristolainen, I would think?
Yes and no, Risto plays 20+ minutes a night and is their #1/#2 on the right side. Kuemper is a goalie and historically they hold less value than top 4 defenseman by a far margin, forgetting the age gap and injury history. I'm not saying a 1st (or equivalent) needs to go the other way but we're adding I'd imagine.

I've been advocating trading for Risto for 2 years (somewhat quietly, I believe XX said something that made me hush on him :laugh:) so I'm on board, just think it'll cost more than Kuemper alone.

@XX that's not a knock BTW, I hold the opinions of you and rt higher than most for some reason.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Doesn't Risto produce bad results when he plays hockey? If he's as bad as I'm lead to believe then I think we can find a better trade.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Doesn't Risto produce bad results when he plays hockey? If he's as bad as I'm lead to believe then I think we can find a better trade.
He's not a guy you want to rely on defensively but he's improved quite a bit. I'd bring in him, Hamilton and Forbort (or equivalent) to play with Chych, OEL and Lyubushkin. Forbort and Lyubushkin would be our worst puck movers and they would both still be better than many of the guys in FA. Our breakout with RT is so reliant on the D gaining possession, cycling while the forwards get set and then begin the rush, passing once they have pulled a few players and then our forwards break in with the puck from the edge of the neutral zone, stacking 2-3 guys to help push the play deep into the other end (when RT doesnt go dumb and have the team dumping every play). It's pretty successful and might be what we need to double down on to beat teams like Colorado. We aren't out muscling the top teams in the conference so we need to push the play and hem them into their own zone. Risto helps with that.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

He's a 2nd pairing guy that is suspect in his own zone at this point. I would rather have a 1st and attempt to sign someone else. I'd rather play Soderstrom over Risto on the 2nd pair, now that I think about it. OEL and Risto on the same team would be a disaster.

Jake McCabe would be a good signing from Buffalo.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
He was overrated for years. Then there was a perception over correction where people acted like he was awful. I think he’s a fine minute muncher. Whenever I see him play, I’m usually impressed but sometimes there’s a blunder. :dunno:

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
He's a 2nd pairing guy that is suspect in his own zone at this point. I would rather have a 1st and attempt to sign someone else. I'd rather play Soderstrom over Risto on the 2nd pair, now that I think about it. OEL and Risto on the same team would be a disaster.

Jake McCabe would be a good signing from Buffalo.
McCabe would be cool for sure.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
He's not a guy you want to rely on defensively but he's improved quite a bit. I'd bring in him, Hamilton and Forbort (or equivalent) to play with Chych, OEL and Lyubushkin. Forbort and Lyubushkin would be our worst puck movers and they would both still be better than many of the guys in FA. Our breakout with RT is so reliant on the D gaining possession, cycling while the forwards get set and then begin the rush, passing once they have pulled a few players and then our forwards break in with the puck from the edge of the neutral zone, stacking 2-3 guys to help push the play deep into the other end (when RT doesnt go dumb and have the team dumping every play). It's pretty successful and might be what we need to double down on to beat teams like Colorado. We aren't out muscling the top teams in the conference so we need to push the play and hem them into their own zone. Risto helps with that.
I really hope RT and Housley are gone next season. I don’t know if I can endure another year.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I really hope RT and Housley are gone next season. I don’t know if I can endure another year.
Agreed, I'd actually hope we have a candidate in mind that has also expressed interest in coaching here. If we had that in place then roster decisions become much easier.

I say that because I was a huge supporter of bringing in Stepan to play center for DT, then we hired RT... The players like Risto that I'm advocating for I think play to RT's strengths (and his staff), which could quickly change under a new coach.

Last edited:

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I've got a few I like, MVR is one of them, so are Bylsma and Gallant. I've seen Gronberg thrown around in Seattle coaching possibilities, he'd be an interesting choice but I know nothing about his coaching style. Boudreau could be a good choice too but I suspect he'd come at the highest price tag, not that Bylsma and Gallant wouldn't be pricy.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I've got a few I like, MVR is one of them, so are Bylsma and Gallant. I've seen Gronberg thrown around in Seattle coaching possibilities, he'd be an interesting choice but I know nothing about his coaching style. Boudreau could be a good choice too but I suspect he'd come at the highest price tag, not that Bylsma and Gallant wouldn't be pricy.

Big pass on Bylsma, but I'd take Gallant for sure, his teams always played hard

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad