Kristers Gudlevskis

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Friday night's game and (oh yea) the Team Canada game is enough for me.

The kid's got it. Go with it. :teach2:

Go with what? Keeping Kristers around, getting him more experience and more work and seeing if he develops into what we think he can? I think they plan on doing that. If however you are relating this back to your "trade Bishop" thread, I have one honest question for you.

Do you not remember the last ten years as pertains to goaltending and the Tampa Bay Lightning?

For those of us that do, we want a bit of a bigger sample size than TWO GAMES!

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
boltman love the enthusiasm for the kid goalies but honestly 99% of goalies need a ton of time usually they fall backwards 1-2 even 3 times before becoming the man. Sometimes even becoming the man they have times they fall apart. Is a very tricky situation.

With what guds has done this year I would think a team in drafting would take around the fucale range of last year so far.

Janus did so well out of gate and went backwards helenius fell off the map TIC fell a little bit and is coming back again strong.

This is what happens and till a goalie gets a couple years minors than a year or two as a back up in NHL?

ANYTHING CAN AND WILL HAPPEN.

Wilcox gave up six last night doubt he gave up that many in a game all year. Yep a sophomore am sure he will have many bad games in his career but so far that was the biggest and probably his worst:(

Tired? Who knows it takes time no matter the talent is very rare a guy just goes on an upward getting better all the time swing year in and out.

To rush these guys you get lindback situations instead of bishop situations among many others markstrom etc.

Is just dumb let them get the reps in let them get to a certain age and hope that is what you do.

You can have a guy be great for one year but never again be at that level.

The finding brodeurs or roy's or hasek's are rare.

Hopefully we do it right take the time and they all work out at least for trades down the road but we are a couple years outside of all of that:)

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Wilcox didn't "give up 6". He made 41 saves, many of them grade A chances. His team disappeared in front of him. The last goal was the only one that could be considered soft and even it was a pretty fantastic move from Sullivan and a quick snapper along the ice as he was coming out to challenge.

Union looked poised, Gophers didn't. Wilcox looked absolutely amazing.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Wilcox didn't "give up 6". He made 41 saves, many of them grade A chances. His team disappeared in front of him. The last goal was the only one that could be considered soft and even it was a pretty fantastic move from Sullivan and a quick snapper along the ice as he was coming out to challenge.

Union looked poised, Gophers didn't. Wilcox looked absolutely amazing.

I watched the game thought two goals he could have gotten the rest?

Is a facepalm or shake of head.

Just saying this is argue wise the best goalie in ncaa right now.

He still has a long way to travel.

Making a point like gudlevskis. I think lindback if had the reps of bishop in minors would be as good as bishop or close right now.

Gudlevskis needs his time his reps you absolutely should get a couple years minors before going sitting behind a starting goalie in NHL.

So we are jumping the gun or boltman is on our goalie situatiion to me at least 2 years maybe will take more. Give them time let vasi and guds fight it out for a couple seasons:) The work OR OVERWORK? Usually pays off in the long run!!

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
Go with what? Keeping Kristers around, getting him more experience and more work and seeing if he develops into what we think he can? I think they plan on doing that. If however you are relating this back to your "trade Bishop" thread, I have one honest question for you.

Do you not remember the last ten years as pertains to goaltending and the Tampa Bay Lightning?

For those of us that do, we want a bit of a bigger sample size than TWO GAMES!

I was a BlackHawk fan in the early eighties (Born in Chicago) I'm still feeling the sting of letting go of Hasek. Evevyone loved the guy but we had Belford ahead of him and proven. I could only imagine what the Blackhawks would have looked like if they traded Belford and kept Hasek.

anyways the whole thing is to try to find something to trade that has enough value to land a big time defenseman. we need this desperately.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Honestly, if SFY doesn't see that Bishop can replicate his success, I could see it happening. It's not the horrible idea every says it is. It could be a cold, calculated move, but it also could come back to bite us. Bishop's value will likely never be higher than it is right now. I hope I'm wrong, but it's not absolutely ridiculous.

Ah, I meant to post this in the "Goalie Situation" thread. Damn it.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
I think to sum up my recent posts would be to say that we need a big time defenseman and you just can't get one unless you over pay (they are simply not available). I'm willing to depart with almost anything except Stamkos and Hedman (also Kuch and Drouin).

everything else is replaceable. (including Bishop). Sure I would like to work out something that doesn't cost a Bishop but whatever it takes lets get it done this off season.

The rest are replaceable. Could always get guys like this that were had for nothing ... Miller, Schieder or Louango (on the cheap)if our young goalies or lindback won't make it.

Nothing against Bishop just looking to get that stud defender for next year. And I really don't want to hear about our young guys that still need developing. We just don't know if they will make it or not. Our team is only missing the Stud defender for next year. Our time is now.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
Honestly, if SFY doesn't see that Bishop can replicate his success, I could see it happening. It's not the horrible idea every says it is. It could be a cold, calculated move, but it also could come back to bite us. Bishop's value will likely never be higher than it is right now. I hope I'm wrong, but it's not absolutely ridiculous.

Ah, I meant to post this in the "Goalie Situation" thread. Damn it.

It could be a cold, calculated move

Isn't this how our General Manager has been operating (which I love btw)

Not insisting on MSL for team Canada

Trading a fan favorite (MSL) for a steal of a deal

Letting another team favorite and captain (Vinny) go. (who plays on the 4th line in Philly)

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
time in not now might be late next year time will tell but yes the kids still need time.

If a deal comes along early I expect it to happen but would think more like trade deadline next year depending on how we look at that time.

Things take time. Going with the kids will only hurt their development and im absolutely talking goalies.

Again bishop will not be enough for the superstar your hoping for. If we get all these kids on first three lines coming on strong etc. than a lot more can happen.

Goalies dont get soo much and to put a 20 year old kid in net is just STUPID.

Nothing against your enthusiasm but in 35 years of watching hockey I disagree 100% and think stevie will be patient and make the right moves using the right pieces. When the right moves reveal themselves.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
time in not now might be late next year time will tell but yes the kids still need time.

If a deal comes along early I expect it to happen but would think more like trade deadline next year depending on how we look at that time.

Things take time. Going with the kids will only hurt their development and im absolutely talking goalies.

Again bishop will not be enough for the superstar your hoping for. If we get all these kids on first three lines coming on strong etc. than a lot more can happen.

Goalies dont get soo much and to put a 20 year old kid in net is just STUPID.

Nothing against your enthusiasm but in 35 years of watching hockey I disagree 100% and think stevie will be patient and make the right moves using the right pieces. When the right moves reveal themselves.

Goalies dont get soo much
exactly that's why if someone out there likes Bishop and it sweetens a deal then go out and get a miller to pair up with Lindback. (by the way it's just an idea it is not something that I want the Lightning to go all out and trade Bishop (I mean come on)

stevie will be patient and make the right moves using the right pieces. When the right moves reveal themselves
Couldn't agree with this more and this is exactly what Stevie does and why the Lightning will be a powerhouse for years. Stevie is not afraid to do the cold calculations too.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Goalies dont get soo much
exactly that's why if someone out there likes Bishop and it sweetens a deal then go out and get a miller to pair up with Lindback. (by the way it's just an idea it is not something that I want the Lightning to go all out and trade Bishop (I mean come on)

stevie will be patient and make the right moves using the right pieces. When the right moves reveal themselves
Couldn't agree with this more and this is exactly what Stevie does and why the Lightning will be a powerhouse for years. Stevie is not afraid to do the cold calculations too.

I get what your saying. I have watched a ton of goalies mismanaged more than the guys who did it right and made it so to speak. So im always big on overcooking goalies it seems the easiest way to get good ones more often:)

I am all for moving primarily anyone for the right deal josi webber shattenkirk etc. even my favorite kucherov.

Yet you got to be patient and wait on the right window and deal to be there. I think we are a little early. Time will tell want to see how connolly panik drouin work out at start of year. Need to know if some team has a vatanen they want moved. If a larsson truly becomes available etc.

I would love a number two d man RH

YET IF YOU ASK 95% of teams in NHL what they want? LOL is probably a number 2 RH D man:)

I have faith stevie will get it done. Even more faith that it will get done the core and we will know what is the future of this team by 2015-2016 year at the start. In camp and we will be competing for real for cups and a threat to every team in this game.

Meaning we will have our d situated along with our team primarily structured from top to bottom.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think it is very safe to say that Vasi has firmly earned the backup spot on the Lightning roster and will continue in that role for the foreseeable future. Now at the same time you have this kid who is proving that he can compete at the AHL level and is likely ready for the next challenge. But where does that leave him in the Lightning organization??

Richard Panik was the first victim of too many faces and not enough room and then it was Brett Connolly. After skimming through the prospect pool now I think Gudlevskis is next. It's imperative that we get proper value for this kid if we don't get to use him. And when you take a look at what he's done you can see that it's not like we have a nobody over here.

20-11-2 2.84 GAA 2 SO and a .900% isn't the most beautiful of statistics but keep in mind this is on a Crunch team that is mid pack on scoring and defense and a scoring differential of +6 and yet they own the AHL's 5th best record. Just how many important situations does that reflect? To me it says you have a goalie on a team that should be average but find a way to win and more often than not when teams find a way to win, it's because the goalie is keeping them in it long enough to do so. 5th place in the AHL is a big freaking deal, especially with the team being +6 in scoring differential. Usually that's the kind of number reserved for a bubble team.

Personally I think we should trade him on draft day to a team in need of a good backup goaltender that's gonna win you 10 games or so. I don't think Gudlevskis is any more ready to step up and be a starter at the NHL level than Vasi is but I do believe we have the better prospect currently backing us up. However, I think given how young Kristers is and the track record he has put up we could trade him to that kind of team who needs a good backup and get some decent draft picks for him.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I think it's too soon to say. Give Gidlevskies next season as a starter in the AHL then Reevaulate. Don't think teams would be giving up the farm for him, so mise well see what we have.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I also don't think he has much value. Olympics aside, he hasn't proven anything.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I doubt he would get us more than a 4th... that kind of goalies just don't have much value, look what Dubnyk was traded for...

I would add him on a trade for a bigger piece... I do believe Wilcox is a better prospect than him... I hope he doesn't sign with another team

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
I think you'll see Gudlevskis/Wilcox (if he signs) in Syracuse next year. Management has repeatedly said they're happy with his progress and his W/L record is pretty solid. His big issue is consistency, but you could say that of most of the Crunch this season. It will be interesting to see how he performs in the playoffs, as he has thus far shown to be a 'high stakes' performer.

He's not worth much right now, so it's not like we're losing out on a big trade to let him grow another year. With Bishop on only a 2 year deal, it makes sense to keep him around and see if he can develop some consistency.

(Yes, I'm biased.)

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I think it is very safe to say that Vasi has firmly earned the backup spot on the Lightning roster and will continue in that role for the foreseeable future. Now at the same time you have this kid who is proving that he can compete at the AHL level and is likely ready for the next challenge. But where does that leave him in the Lightning organization??

Richard Panik was the first victim of too many faces and not enough room and then it was Brett Connolly. After skimming through the prospect pool now I think Gudlevskis is next. It's imperative that we get proper value for this kid if we don't get to use him. And when you take a look at what he's done you can see that it's not like we have a nobody over here.

20-11-2 2.84 GAA 2 SO and a .900% isn't the most beautiful of statistics but keep in mind this is on a Crunch team that is mid pack on scoring and defense and a scoring differential of +6 and yet they own the AHL's 5th best record. Just how many important situations does that reflect? To me it says you have a goalie on a team that should be average but find a way to win and more often than not when teams find a way to win, it's because the goalie is keeping them in it long enough to do so. 5th place in the AHL is a big freaking deal, especially with the team being +6 in scoring differential. Usually that's the kind of number reserved for a bubble team.

Personally I think we should trade him on draft day to a team in need of a good backup goaltender that's gonna win you 10 games or so. I don't think Gudlevskis is any more ready to step up and be a starter at the NHL level than Vasi is but I do believe we have the better prospect currently backing us up. However, I think given how young Kristers is and the track record he has put up we could trade him to that kind of team who needs a good backup and get some decent draft picks for him.

Thoughts?

Gudlevskis not ready for NHL duty. He has to put up good save percentage and be more consistent. There is no way we move him this off season regardless of what happens with Wilcox.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If splitting time with Guds was good enough for Vasy, then I think it'll be good enough for Wilcox.

With Gudlevskis though, the playoffs could be everything. A strong performance erases any concerns that have come up this season. For a while, anyway.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Not sure why we want to keep attacking our depth in goal. This is only like the first time ever we've had any. Anyhow if we're looking for value for him, right now would be selling way low.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think I know the secret to Kristers Gudlevskis' success.

Playing against Jonathan Toews.

(Unfortunately, Toews keeps getting the last laugh. The nightmare goes both ways.)

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
The kid plays the big games like no one else. Its the small games that hurt him. Good news is, as a back-up, he only needs to be good on a few big games right now. Depending on how he looks, it might not be off the wall for them to send Vasi down to take over Syracuse for a bit while he heals.

Also, if it counts for anything, if he keeps playing well in these big moments, he might become a useful trade chip come March. He could add a lot of value to a trade in the right circumstances.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00