Confirmed Signing with Link: Kris Versteeg signs with Bern (NLA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RinaldoZac

Jun 30, 2012
IMO hes back in NA next year. Unless he's got a NHL out clause, in the case he'll be back sooner, he's gunna rip up Switzerland and I can't see NHL GM's not jumping on him.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
He probably didn't get the money/term he was looking for. Definitely still seems like an NHL caliber player who is probably taking advantage of an opportunity to play overseas, find some stability for the season and then increase his value in the NHL after his season is done. Versteeg seems to be the guy that's always involved in a trade deal - to the point where you start to wonder if he literally just lives out of suitcases in preparation for that inevitable call. Should be a nice change of a pace and scenery for him and his family.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Rumor has it his family might have moved from Europe to Canada some time between 1492 and the 1900s.

This cracked me up more than it should have :laugh:

Even if he took a modest paycut this year I would've thought alot of NHL teams out there would like to give him a shot.

It must be about the lifestyle, and if it is, more power to him.

I´d think this is the simple answer. It won´t make sense to most 15, 20, 25 or even some 30 y.o. But when you reach a certain age money and glory doesn´t mean as much. Bern is an absolutely lovely city to live in. And an great country to that. Versteeg has only on salary made around 25-30 millon dollars during the last 10 years. To take a few years in the NLA, still make good bucks and maybe even have the team pay for your team/living place while your family gets to live somewhere amazing where you may wan´t to settle down later. And maybe that he has been on 7 teams the last 6 years had something to do with it (well... 6 teams... Chicago twice...) He got the Cups. He got the money. Go for living a really nice life while stilling playing proffessional hockey for a great salary. Well done.

And if he has an NHL-out and uses it after getting more money... well... then guess he didn´t care about things above ;)

holyprime

Oct 5, 2010
Didn't he become a father as well some time ago? NLA is the perfect league for someone who wants more time with his family and still play professional hockey on a good level (you can sleep in your own bed almost every night).

To take a few years in the NLA, still make good bucks and maybe even have the team pay for your team/living place while your family gets to live somewhere amazing where you may wan´t to settle down later.
That's usually the case for foreigners or "star" players (the best swiss are highly valuable bc of the foreigner license "cap" (8 per season, 4 on the roster). I don't know how much they can choose their own place, but the rent is certainly included for Versteeg.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Another thing re lifestyle is that the country being so small, no more long trips away from his family. After a game, in a few hours at worst he will be with his family.

vaiski

Dec 27, 2015
My guess for why this happened is that he has a gentlemen's agreement with the Blackhawks, or some other team, for a deal next year but this circumvents the expansion draft. Maybe Versteeg wants to see some new places for a change too.

Vintage93

Apr 2, 2006
Toronto
My guess for why this happened is that he has a gentlemen's agreement with the Blackhawks, or some other team, for a deal next year but this circumvents the expansion draft. Maybe Versteeg wants to see some new places for a change too.

Why not just a sign a 1 year then?

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
[MOD]

Good for Kris, had a great NHL career.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Wouldn't be surprised if he's banking on a deal with Vegas. If all he got were cap-oriented two-year deals then he could take a low-impact year in Switzerland and then sign with LV, allowing LV to focus on drafting more cheap prospects and use Kris towards their cap.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Well that was a bit unexpected for me. Can definitely see the appeal though.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Didn't he become a father as well some time ago? NLA is the perfect league for someone who wants more time with his family and still play professional hockey on a good level (you can sleep in your own bed almost every night).

That's usually the case for foreigners or "star" players (the best swiss are highly valuable bc of the foreigner license "cap" (8 per season, 4 on the roster). I don't know how much they can choose their own place, but the rent is certainly included for Versteeg.

Thanks for that. Tought it still was that way, but wasn´t completley sure :)

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Was thinkin the exact same...

Had to google Spengler cup... Apparently some obscure Swiss tournament where AHL teams play team Canada and some Swiss league teams.

Glorified beer tourney with international travel?

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Had to google Spengler cup... Apparently some obscure Swiss tournament where AHL teams play team Canada and some Swiss league teams.

Calling Russian, Swedish, Finnish etc etc teams "beer tourney" level, "AHL teams" is not your best moment. Neither is calling the Spengler Cup "some obscure Swiss tournament". It has been organized since 1923. Closing in to a CENTURY. Ignorance (as in lack of knowledge) is not something to be proud of.

Last edited:

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury

The Spengler Cup is a fantastic tournament. Closing in on 100yrs and one of the lost amazing atmospheres in hockey. The population of the city nearly quadruples during the tournament and the only year an AHL team has competed (The AHL Champion Rochester Americans, 2013??) they didn't win a single a game. The tournament features the top
Pro teams from Europe as well as hosts Davos and Team Canada which often features many former NHLers.

Guys like Patrick Kane, Joe Thornton, Ryan Smythe, Tyler Seguin, Segei Fedorov, Alex Radulov and many more have played in the Spengler. It is far from a glorified beer league tournament, as I doubt hockey canada would invest in that.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

It's almost as if you're basking in the glory of ignorance.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
The Spengler Cup is a fantastic tournament. Closing in on 100yrs and one of the lost amazing atmospheres in hockey. The population of the city nearly quadruples during the tournament and the only year an AHL team has competed (The AHL Champion Rochester Americans, 2013??) they didn't win a single a game. The tournament features the top
Pro teams from Europe as well as hosts Davos and Team Canada which often features many former NHLers.

Guys like Patrick Kane, Joe Thornton, Ryan Smythe, Tyler Seguin, Segei Fedorov, Alex Radulov and many more have played in the Spengler. It is far from a glorified beer league tournament, as I doubt hockey canada would invest in that.

The Rochester Americans, the AHL champs that year, played three games:
- lost the first 5-0 to Geneva, who later on went on to win the tournament beating CSKA Moscow in the finals
- lost 4-3 to CSKA Moscow
- after the two losses in the group stage, they played and lost the quarterfinals to Team Canada 6-3

Rochester Americans... 0-3-0... 6 gf, 15 ga...

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I speculate that he's a proud guy who doesn't want to spend August looking desperate and unwanted and ending up signing for peanuts. He may still be looking for an NHL job (assuming this has an out clause), but this is a decent backup plan. If NHL teams come calling, he doesn't have to take minimum salary and/or a two-way deal and/or with a team that he's not interested in because he's desperate for a job anywhere. If nothing appealing to him comes along, he gets to stay in game shape through September and/or October until it's an NHL team that gets desperate and needs him, not the other way around. Of course, maybe I'm wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad