Speculation: Kris Letang requested a trade to Montreal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah probably nothing to it. As a Habs fan I'd trade Gallagher for Letang straight up, no retention, but it doesn't really make sense
Letang is too old. 4 years left at age 37, Gally is 32 with 3 years left. It will be easier to shelter a cooked 34 yr old gally on the 4th line than it will be to shelter a cooked 40 year old D man.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Yeah probably nothing to it. As a Habs fan I'd trade Gallagher for Letang straight up, no retention, but it doesn't really make sense
Yea I personally feel that Letang is worth his contract the next 2 years so taking him for a cap dump (sorry words have MTL fans) I struggle with that.

I expect the other 2 years to be weaker. I could see a nagging injury though in his last year where he goes to a special island and LTIRetire.

If this does happen I want something In return it may not be S tier but perhaps B tier.

Letang should be a good for a couple more seasons though, Gally is cooked right now
Yea what I said. I'd need a + going the other way.

Letang still logs a ton of minutes and does well.

Edit: figured I'd mention some extra things.

Letang scored 10 ES goals last year and had 41 assists.

Only 5 were PP points (maybe don't play him there)

20 mins at ES -2:30 SH - 2 PP

Gallagher played 14 minutes a night 16 goals 15 assists 1230 ES 1:30 PP time.

Last edited:

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Letang should be a good for a couple more seasons though, Gally is cooked right now
We don't need the Cap space until last year of Gally's contract at the earliest. He is probably movable then if you need to with retention. If you swap him for Letang You have to worry about that extra year. We assume he will be good for 2 more years but what if he isn't. Also blocks some of our kids on D. I don't see any upside to assuming the risk of the Letang contract.

We don't want that extra year to be the reason we cannot extend a promising kid when the time comes.

The risk in the Gally one is manageable, easier to shelter a forward.

Reactions: viceroy

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
With a 35+ contract you have to pay their cap hit even if they LTIRetire, right?

A LTIR doesn't remove anyone from the cap hit but it gives a team a relief if that team exceeds the max cap ceiling.

When a contract is signed at 35+, you have no way around it and the whole contract will count under the team's cap hit situation for the whole duration of it.

• Wow
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If you are Pittsburgh I think you try to get what you can for Crosby, Letang and Malkin this year. Build around Mc Groarty.

Letang in Montreal sounds interesting, I don't think there is much confidence left in David Savard. Matheson-Letang as a top pairing, and young d-men behind them? They would definitely have a d-prospect to trade back. Justin Barron?

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If you are Pittsburgh I think you try to get what you can for Crosby, Letang and Malkin this year. Build around Mc Groarty.

Letang in Montreal sounds interesting, I don't think there is much confidence left in David Savard. Matheson-Letang as a top pairing, and young d-men behind them? They would definitely have a d-prospect to trade back. Justin Barron?
We trade away Barron, who do we have as 3rd RHD in a couple of years? Konyushkov may or may not come over and he's unknown level at this point.

Rather pass on Letang and go head first with the young lineup. It's probably be lots of groaning but in a few years, they MAY be one of the best defense in the league. Or not....

Reactions: CTHabsfan

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
We trade away Barron, who do we have as 3rd RHD in a couple of years? Konyushkov may or may not come over and he's unknown level at this point.

Rather pass on Letang and go head first with the young lineup. It's probably be lots of groaning but in a few years, they MAY be one of the best defense in the league. Or not....
There's a thing called free agency. If Reinbacher and Mailloux amount to their potential shouldn't be too worried about that.

Seeing Letang wearing a Canadiens jersey would be pretty cool. Always been a battler, one of my favourites.

Reactions: sanscosm

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Imo Montreal shouldn’t fall into the same trap the Rangers always do where they sign players just because they say they want to play there.

I don’t think Montreal will be contending for anything but a bubble spot while Letang is still able to play.

Montreal is building a really good team. They should stay the course and not become a destination for past their prime players. Especially if it means a younger player loses a chance to play.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If it was real and going to happen, it would of done so by now or at worse, the next week or so.

Preseason is around the corner. I don't know if Letang has a family and children, they would need to be enrolled and he would need to get acclimated with the team.

Finally, I'm too lazy to look it up, but can we even afford him cap wise? I know Price silly large cap hit is going LTIR but Letang is still too expensive to keep. Unless the Penquins take someone like Anderson back. They wont do it unless they get prospects as incentive. It's bad enough that they lose Letang for little return, they don't need to lose their shirt on top of that.

Best of all...DO NOTHING

One more year of bottom feeding to add to top prospcts AND break in 3 new defenseman and a couple of rookies up front is well worth the price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad