Kraken hire Jessica Campbell as Assistant Coach, first woman to be a full time coach in the NHL

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Go look at the instagram/facebook comments behind this announcement and judge for yourself.

I don’t have insta or facebook. I can only assume that these people have concerns about her age. Tell them to rest easy. One of their favorites, John Tortorella, started as an assistant around the same age. He never set foot on NHL ice either.

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
Wrong Campbell

In my experience I’ve had some female bosses who were very good and some that were as useless as a car without an engine. But she..and others..deserve to be judged on how well she (or he) does their job

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
That's a quick career progression. But she has been good at every level so far. Good luck to her. She is only in her early 30's, too, with plenty of time to land a HC job somewhere.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I was hoping my post would come off as ironically lmao

1720038203149.png

This is great news - those I know that know her say that she works her butt off and thinks the game with the best.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Wrong Campbell

In my experience I’ve had some female bosses who were very good and some that were as useless as a car without an engine. But she..and others..deserve to be judged on how well she (or he) does their job

Replace female with male, and this is just as accurate. There’s some f***ing awful coaches already in the NHL that just get cycled through. See Rocky Thompson.

theanomaly

you just lost the game
Nov 18, 2010
NJ
that is great to see. congrats to her and the organization.

i cant wait for the fracas that happens when we finally get to see a woman as a regular on an nhl roster. some day...

• Wow
Reactions: ACLEVERNAME

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
How come the hires to the NHL like her and Castonguay and the woman who do TV are all attractive, but the dudes can look like a radiated turnip and it's fine. They don't really know anything,but yet they're on TV just because a family member got them a job with an organization, they sucked, so now they give shitty hockey advice on TV.

Congrats to her. I remember like a month ago on 32 thoughts podcast they talked about her joining the team and it wasn't a PR move it was because Bylsma liked her as a coach and believed she knew her stuff.
Lol what a post. Go touch some grass bud

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Women and Men hockey aren't the same thing though. I mean people laugh at Roman Rotenberg of SKA, but in women hockey he would have been the best player ever...
We going to talk about differences in ability and coaching?

Wayne Gretzky was the greatest player to play and sucked as a coach. Plenty of "bad" players go on to become successful coaches, Dan Bylsma is even an example of a guy who won a Cup as a coach that he would never win as a player. Understanding and execution aren't the same thing, and anybody can have understanding of the game by playing it, watching it, and being open to learning.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
I didn't know that, I assumed there was privacy inside locker rooms and journalists would need to be let in.
Well I'm sure they're not purposefully going into the showers. :laugh: But, journalists are in the locker rooms all the time and I doubt the players just cover up because there happens to be a few women among the pack.

I have heard quite a few female journalists over the years make jokes about the stuff they have seen while interviewing players.

Good luck.

Hope she has thick skin. She’s gonna need it.
To make it to that point, she probably does have thick skin.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
If she earned it and knows her stuff congrats to her.

I do wonder if the media and fans will be able to give fair criticism if warranted. We love to rake coaches and gms over the coals. I hope there isn't cries of sexism or hand wave excuses because of her gender should she not do well. Welcome to the club Jessica may you be treated equally.
Your first words were "If she earned it...." She's already not being treated equally.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Your first words were "If she earned it...." She's already not being treated equally.
He added that as a condition because from his perview women sometimes don't earn a job, they have it gifted to them. You can read between the lines. :laugh:

I don't think that would ever be uttered about a man getting a job in the NHL, despite a lot of men only getting jobs in the league because of their connections, friends, and family.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad