Kraken fire Dave Hakstol

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Stupid. He’s a good coach. He smoked Bednar in the playoffs last year. Completely out coached the Avs.

He was terrible his entire tenure with the Flyers and had one good season with the Kraken while they were playing the "us against the world" card. He's a very vanilla coach. There are worse, but most are better.

Francis should have never been hired there. He was an awful GM in Carolina. Doesn't have a creative bone in his body as a GM.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Dave Hakstol is one of the most consistently surprising coaches in the NHL.

It was a surprise that he got hired in the first place.
It was a surprise it took as long for the Flyers to fire him as it did.
It was a surprise he caught on with Toronto instead of going back to college coaching.
It was a surprise that he was hired by Seattle.
It was a surprise that he got them to the second round last year.
It is a surprise that he's not getting another year with them, given the work he's already done there.

Best of luck to him in the future; I don't think he deserved this, but he'll probably land on his feet somewhere.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
He got a lot out of a very mediocre roster, every season.

So I'll assume this is Francis thinking he can get a better development coach for the young players coming up.

That or Ron Francis thinks his roster is better than it is.

Or his boss thinks they should be more like Vegas, and he needs to do something to get the heat off of him.

Reactions: Summer Rose

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Stupid. He’s a good coach. He smoked Bednar in the playoffs last year. Completely out coached the Avs.
This is a bizarre take.

Hakstol is a run-of-the-mill coach. He was meh in Philly and meh in Seattle. His teams always are poor at scoring chance generation, because he relies on an antiquated style of play.

Seattle winning a round last year was a great story for them. It was 0% to do with Hakstol though. Colorado was thin (after having to cut pieces following their Cup run), injured, and missing Nuke because of the weird Russian hooker thing.

There are many good/interesting coaches on the market this offseason. Replacing Hak right now is smart.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
They seemed to fall apart at the end of the year and not sure his messaging was getting through any more, Beniers had a major sophomore slump as well. With some of the Krakens prospects coming through soon like Wright, i'm not sure Hakstol is the best person to develop them. He would have been on the hotseat to start the year if he hadn't been fired.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
This is a bizarre take.

Hakstol is a run-of-the-mill coach. He was meh in Philly and meh in Seattle. His teams always are poor at scoring chance generation, because he relies on an antiquated style of play.

Seattle winning a round last year was a great story for them. It was 0% to do with Hakstol though. Colorado was thin (after having to cut pieces following their Cup run), injured, and missing Nuke because of the weird Russian hooker thing.

There are many good/interesting coaches on the market this offseason. Replacing Hak right now is smart.
They took Dallas to the bitter end as well. They just had more depth last year. This year they have less depth and still not top tier talent.

They need to do some surgery to the roster and try get a proper first lineman in. Just feels like they are stuck in the middle.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They figured out he bamboozled them. They would’ve been good next year before regressing again. Just isn’t a coach to take you places.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
They took Dallas to the bitter end as well. They just had more depth last year. This year they have less depth and still not top tier talent.
I agree. Seattle had a better team last year. I don't think Hakstol helped them any though. I think he's performed more or less how you would expect based on the roster he's given. He has, however, consistently shown an inability to get more offense out of his teams when needed.

On Dallas, I am an outlier, but I just really have never thought they were a top tier contender though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
up to 8 HC changes from end of 22/23 season. With CBS needing a new GM so their HC isn't safe. That's likely to take us to 9 changes and maybe another one depending on PO performances.

Only 5 HC remain who have been with their team prior to the start of the 21/22 season. That's insane turnover in the HC ranks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad