Kraken 24/25 HC speculation

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Before you crap on that Sabres team look at that roster and how many are key pieces in recent or current cup contending teams. The coaching has been has been a disaster there disco Dan included. He was a real failure with the talent they had. Roster attached

And worse after was Ralph Kruger who may be the worst coach in the league in the last 10 years - no joke - not the standard we want here to
Compare success against. Disco Dan was also not connected to his players at all in Buffalo creating a big issue and his system is very meh ( ask penguins fans as well - they warned us when he took over the Sabres and ended up being very right)
Am glad you weighed in on this; I knew Eichel was aboard by then but the roster you posted is better than I remembered.

Didn't Eichel indicate that he wouldn't stick around if Bylsma was still coach? (not that he did anyway)

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Seems like the guy almost everyone thought wa the logical choice might become the guy.

I think we can all act really surprised when Francis annoucnes the new head coach being his good buddy Dean Evson.
I could not care less about him being Francis' buddy, but how is he as a coach? He has a pretty respectable record with the Wild, but he is not going to get anyone with Kaprizov's skill level on our team.

Reactions: Toomany7pins

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Am glad you weighed in on this; I knew Eichel was aboard by then but the roster you posted is better than I remembered.

Didn't Eichel indicate that he wouldn't stick around if Bylsma was still coach? (not that he did anyway)
There was tension there for sure

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I could not care less about him being Francis' buddy, but how is he as a coach? He has a pretty respectable record with the Wild, but he is not going to get anyone with Kaprizov's skill level on our team.

Good regular season, terrible playoffs. I think he can get the right pieces to work, but I don’t think the Kraken have the right pieces.

Reactions: Fuhrious

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
If Francis appoints his "buddy," isn't this a textbook example of the good ol' boy network in action.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If Francis appoints his "buddy," isn't this a textbook exaple of the good ol' boy network in action.

That would be a reasonable question to ask if Evason didn't just have a terrific (better than good) record with the Wild.

That and there are like six coaches who are all former Whalers "buddies" with Francis. Some of them might be good candidates!

wewantyoursoul

Oct 14, 2021
Happy Valley, OR
Creed Bratton

3qlfuhj4ami21.jpg

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So I looked up the NHL Coach Handsomeness data and Evason was tied for 10th with RBA. Disappointing... we lost our booktok guy, and here I was expecting a replacement in Evason.

For what it's worth, Woodcroft was #1.

71195060.jpg

Untitled-design-2022-07-01T193240.847.jpg

Who put this cockamamee list together? And what imaginable rankings are they using? Darryl Sutter #2? Derek Lalonde #3? RBA tied for #10? While Jon Cooper, who is good-looking, is at #27?

To steal a Lee Trevino line, Sutter and Lalonde are so homely their parents had to tie a bone around their necks to get the family dog to play with them

Last edited:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Well, he seems to be a tougher guy that is more hands on.
So the complete opposite of Hakstol in that regard.

Though, as others have mentioned. he's pretty good in the regular season but not so much in the playoffs.

And if that's what we're looking for we could just bring in Bruce Baudreau.
At least the interviews would be fun with him doing his thing and reporters trying very hard to cancel out his F-Bombs....

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
71195060.jpg

Who put this cockamamee list together? And what imaginable rankings are they using? Darryl Sutter #2? Derek Lalonde #3? RBA tied for #10? While Jon Cooper, who is good-looking, is at #27?

To steal a Lee Trevino line, Sutter and Lalonde are so homely their parents had to tie a bone around their necks to get the family dog to play with them
I stopped reading when I saw Sutter at #2…

Dudes face looks like an old catchers mitt. No way that’s a serious list.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
71195060.jpg

A computer. This was our first test of AI. Believe nothing you see ever again.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
-Well, he seems to be a tougher guy that is more hands on.
So the complete opposite of Hakstol in that regard.

Though, as others have mentioned. he's pretty good in the regular season but not so much in the playoffs.

And if that's what we're looking for we could just bring in Bruce Baudreau.
At least the interviews would be fun with him doing his thing and reporters trying very hard to cancel out his F-Bombs....

Boudreau would be amazing for sheer entertainment value, I wouldn't miss a single presser... but he's really not much of a playoff coach either. He's had more success than Evason though. We're kind of screwed in our options. Either you've got successful coaches who fans would cancel the team for (Babcock, Quenneville) because of some dirt, or whatever, which I understand why you don't hire them. Then you have coaches who consistently underperform in the playoffs, or coaches who have little to no playoff experience.

I think it's important for us also to remember that our GM has had exactly one season as GM of a team that experienced playoff hockey and it was with the Kraken (I'm right aren't I? I didn't verify that claim, but feel as though I've made it before).

At any rate, are there any coaches available who have had playoff success and don't have a bunch of dirt on them?

Oh... yes... Disco Dan and one could argue Todd McLellan, though unlike Dan, his name isn't on the Cup.

Just some stats on Disco Dan

NHL Seasons as Head Coach - 8
NHL Playoffs Appearances - 6
Regular Season 320-190-55
Playoffs 78-78 - .500
Times Advancing to Round 2 vs. Times Eliminated in Round 1 - 6-0
Stanley Cups - 1

35 of those playoff losses were overtime losses. That's a substantial note. That's where the risk is. Also, Buffalo always wants to believe they are good, but they haven't been for a very long time so let's not pretend the only 2 seasons he had as coach of a team that missed the playoffs wouldn't have happened with Scotty f***ing Bowman as their coach.

Now... let's compare to the other options being floated out there:

Todd McLellan

NHL Seasons as Head Coach - 16
NHL Playoffs Appearances - 9
Regular Season 598-412-134
Playoffs 42-46 - .477
Times Advancing to Round 2 vs. Times Eliminated in Round 1 - 6-3
Stanley Cups -

Dean Evason

NHL Seasons as Head Coach - 5
NHL Playoffs Appearances - 4
Regular Season 147-77-27
Playoffs 8-15
Times Advancing to Round 2 vs. Times Eliminated in Round 1 - 1-3
Stanley Cups - 0

Jay Leach

NHL Seasons as Head Coach - 0
NHL Playoffs Appearances - 0
Regular Season 0-0-0
Playoffs 0-0
Times Advancing to Round 2 vs. Times Eliminated in Round 1 - 0-0
Stanley Cups - 0

Some stats to stew on. All of that said and both Dan and Todd McLellan had success with teams known to be stacked and one could argue that aside from Dan's first season, neither lived up to their potential, but I don't think that's fair to McLellan at all. There were other much better teams in the NHL, winning the Stanley Cup when he was coaching the Sharks. Those Blackhawks and Kings teams were damn good and deserved their success.

After that McLellan had a young Oilers team that wasn't great on the whole. He also had some decent regular season success with an aged Kings team that I felt outperformed their potential after the 2 shortened seasons and he was fired when the Kings were 23-15-10 at the start of this season and I think in 2nd place in the Pacific. The ended up making the playoffs by performing 21-12-1 after he was fired, which isn't a ton better, but those OTL's under McLellan do stand out.

At any rate, after looking at this, in no way do I go with Evason, both stylistically and historically. You don't go with Leach, because you have too much to lose, so I'm torn between Bylsma and McLellan of the coaches that have been linked.

Just

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Boudreau would be amazing for sheer entertainment value, I wouldn't miss a single presser... but he's really not much of a playoff coach either. He's had more success than Evason though. We're kind of screwed in our options. Either you've got successful coaches who fans would cancel the team for (Babcock, Quenneville) because of some dirt, or whatever, which I understand why you don't hire them. Then you have coaches who consistently underperform in the playoffs, or coaches who have little to no playoff experience.

I think it's important for us also to remember that our GM has had exactly one season as GM of a team that experienced playoff hockey and it was with the Kraken (I'm right aren't I? I didn't verify that claim, but feel as though I've made it before).

At any rate, are there any coaches available who have had playoff success and don't have a bunch of dirt on them?

Oh... yes... Disco Dan and one could argue Todd McLellan, though unlike Dan, his name isn't on the Cup.

Just some stats on Disco Dan

NHL Seasons as Head Coach - 8
NHL Playoffs Appearances - 6
Regular Season 320-190-55
Playoffs 78-78 - .500
Times Advancing to Round 2 vs. Times Eliminated in Round 1 - 6-0
Stanley Cups - 1

35 of those playoff losses were overtime losses. That's a substantial note. That's where the risk is. Also, Buffalo always wants to believe they are good, but they haven't been for a very long time so let's not pretend the only 2 seasons he had as coach of a team that missed the playoffs wouldn't have happened with Scotty f***ing Bowman as their coach.

Now... let's compare to the other options being floated out there:

Todd McLellan

NHL Seasons as Head Coach - 16
NHL Playoffs Appearances - 9
Regular Season 598-412-134
Playoffs 42-46 - .477
Times Advancing to Round 2 vs. Times Eliminated in Round 1 - 6-3
Stanley Cups -

Dean Evason

Regular Season 147-77-27
Playoffs 8-15
Stanley Cups - 0

Jay Leach

NHL Seasons as Head Coach - 0
NHL Playoffs Appearances - 0
Regular Season 0-0-0
Playoffs 0-0
Times Advancing to Round 2 vs. Times Eliminated in Round 1 - 0-0
Stanley Cups - 0

Some stats to stew on. All of that said and both Dan and Todd McLellan had success with teams known to be stacked and one could argue that aside from Dan's first season, neither lived up to their potential, but I don't think that's fair to McLellan at all. There were other much better teams in the NHL, winning the Stanley Cup when he was coaching the Sharks. Those Blackhawks and Kings teams were damn good and deserved their success.

After that McLellan had a young Oilers team that wasn't great on the whole. He also had some decent regular season success with an aged Kings team that I felt outperformed their potential after the 2 shortened seasons and he was fired when the Kings were 23-15-10 at the start of this season and I think in 2nd place in the Pacific. The ended up making the playoffs by performing 21-12-1 after he was fired, which isn't a ton better, but those OTL's under McLellan do stand out.

At any rate, after looking at this, in no way do I go with Evason, both stylistically and historically. You don't go with Leach, because you have too much to lose, so I'm torn between Bylsma and McLellan of the coaches that have been linked.

Just

Well, I'd rather go a non traditional route and hire someone who hasn't been part of the NHL coaching recycling programm but I guess that won't happen.

BTW: Marco Sturm has been intervieed for the Sharks job and supposedly has interest from others as well.

Sturm did a great job with the german national team(silver medla 2018 Olympics with an all DEL squad), but has also gained experience as an assistant coach for the Kings(4 years under McLellan) and as the head coach of their AHL affiliate for the past two seasons.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Well, I'd rather go a non traditional route and hire someone who hasn't been part of the NHL coaching recycling programm but I guess that won't happen.

BTW: Marco Sturm has been intervieed for the Sharks job and supposedly has interest from others as well.

Sturm did a great job with the german national team(silver medla 2018 Olympics with an all DEL squad), but has also gained experience as an assistant coach for the Kings(4 years under McLellan) and as the head coach of their AHL affiliate for the past two seasons.
I mentioned back around the whole Arizona/Utah shitshow that I'd love to see a guy like Tourigny in Seattle. That's the sort of coaching hire I'd like, honestly...I have no idea if Sturm is that sort of hire or not, though. Another spin on the retread wheel is a huge snoozer as far as I'm concerned.

That said, I fully expect Francis to go with Evason or Bylsma. Yawn.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I guess I'm on team retread.

I don't think of this search as looking for some unique coaching genius. It really does help to have someone who has done it before who knows how to manage NHLers. From what I hear Bylsma has had issues with managing personalities and connecting with players, so probably not him. But in general I prefer seasoned candidates.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Dean Evason

Regular Season 147-77-27
Playoffs 8-15
Stanley Cups - 0
I don't think an Evason coached team has ever made the second round - not in the NHL or the AHL.

In fact, there was only one time his team even made it to a deciding game seven, and that was the weird quarantine year were the same eight teams just kept playing each other and they were in the pretty weak western division.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't recall anyone saying when Evason was hired in Minnesota that that team was supposed to be a high end team that won two games for every loss (which they did under Evason), or a cup contender or anything like that where you expect them to have deep playoff runs. Minnesota, remember, the supposed archetype of a middling team?

But you read here and you'd think he failed to bring a juggernaut to glory.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I don't think an Evason coached team has ever made the second round - not in the NHL or the AHL.

In fact, there was only one time his team even made it to a deciding game seven, and that was the weird quarantine year were the same eight teams just kept playing each other and they were in the pretty weak western division.

You are correct. I read wrong. He hasn’t won a thing in the playoffs.

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
Not to be trite or dissing the board, but does anybody care who is gonna coach this team next year?
As long as it’s someone that gets his players to play aggressively and a sense of urgency. This passive mentality on the power play drove me up a wall. Pass around the puck for 90 seconds only to get 1 or no shots off doesn’t cut it.

You have a man advantage, USE IT! Fire pucks at the net and put pressure on the defense and the goalie.

I was never excited when the Kraken had a power play because I knew what was coming. Pass, pass, pass, pass, turn over, retrieve puck slowly, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass pass, shot wide, pass, pass, end of power play.

Reactions: Renopucker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad