Kraken 2024 Offseason chatter

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Why would you trade Gourde now that you've signed Stephenson and Montour to "win now"?

Of course unless they're part of the package to aquire a scoring(line driving forward.

His season was very underwhelming, he's at the age where we'd be worried about those exact guys contracts, but most importantly, because he'd probably be overvalued. He's a rare player, like Tanev. The type that teams will pay more than they should for. I also think more can be done than has been done.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
It does feel like we are over compensating for last years bad free agency. If the goal is win now i'm a little surprised we haven't traded any prospects yet. Other concern is if we don't make the playoffs and Francis is fired. What's the plan next?

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
WTF?

Also, Stephenson
giphy.webp

Trading Dunn to fit in Stephenson would be a sneaky way of tanking while pretending to ownership that he's winning now but I don't thin RF plays 5-D chess.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
The only move the Kraken really need to make is not give Beniers over 7M AAV AND not re-sign Tolvy. The move needn't be as drastic as needing to trade Dunn. That's just crazy talk.

I may have read into this a bit too much, but it is interesting that they trotted Beniers out there for the draft to announce Catton. That's the sort of thing you reserve for legends and franchise players. They must be close and just not announcing it to keep things close to the vest.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Assuming thats the big moves done barring extensions. What smaller moves need to be targeted?
Current status.

- 8.2M cap space after bringing up Wright and Evans. Gets us to 10F, 7D
- Re-sign Beniers
- Re-sign Tolvy

We don't have enough money to re-sign Tolvy unless we start shipping forwards out. I am expecting some trades. I would like to move Tanev out and re-sign Tolvy.

McCann-Beniers-Bjorkstrand
Schwartz/Gourde-Stephenson-Burakovsky
Gourde/Schwartz-Wright-Eberle
Tanev/Tolvy-Winterton/Kartye-Kartye/Winterton.

That bottom-6 has the potential to be pretty good, especially if we can re-sign Tolvy and move out Tanev. We do need another bottom-6 F, which I have filled with Winterton, because we do NOT have cap space left unless we move out some roster player(s).

Reactions: Interior Cascadian

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Would love to see Francis move Schwartz and give those minutes to Tolvanen, who I think has shown to be a better fit...but I seriously doubt that's in the cards.

Quackenator

Mar 6, 2018
Poulsbo, Wa
Figured another team would try to sign driedger over some that have already been signed today. I wouldnt mind the depth if he came back on a league minimum two way. Kind of a big drop off for us if Daccord or gru goes down

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
Figured another team would try to sign driedger over some that have already been signed today. I wouldnt mind the depth if he came back on a league minimum two way. Kind of a big drop off for us if Daccord or gru goes down
The drop off is a bit of concern- these days, most teams are forced to cycle a third goalie into the lineup for some stretches.

It’ll be interesting to see if Joey and Gru see more of a 50/50 split this season. That should minimize Gru getting overplayed and somewhat reduce the likelihood of an injury, but you can only manage that to some extent.

seakraken

May 3, 2023
Quite the opposite. To me a Montour signing signals that he is trying to win sooner than later. And that is what I believe ownership wants.
Completely agree with this opinion. Keep in mind with the new TV deal people in the PNW will see 70+ Kraken games annually! to build the fan base you NEED access to eyeballs AND at least a decent product.

This changes the financial game for the Kraken in a big way.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
Driedger signed with Florida. Good for him, going back to a championship team he’s already familiar with.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Skinner at 1 year for $3m is a number that I sort of wish Francis was in on, but alas…

Earlier in this thread I had a number that I thought he’d be worth and that I’d hope the Kraken gave him a shot at. Both of these numbers are lower than mine, albeit only a little. Mine was 2x3.5m. Now I’m bummed. There’s your goal scorer, going to a team that doesn’t f***ing need one.

Reactions: Fuhrious

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
We still only have one guy who is really built to score goals. That worries me a bit. Still a team jam packed with pass first players and who the hell will they be passing to if they aren’t on a line with McCann?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Skinner at 1 year for $3m is a number that I sort of wish Francis was in on, but alas…

That's one of those deals that only really makes sense with Edmonton.

Jeff Skinner is the type of finisher that really needs to be carried. I don't really see the right situation for him to succeed here. And I think he would see it that way.

Thinking about this. We can possibly still make all of this work and get a goal scorer, it’s just going to make a couple of people around here unhappy.

I haven't crunched the numbers since the two big signings, but I can't imagine there's room left to add anyone?

It looks like we'll have to cut a little bit of cap to squeeze in Beniers and Tolvanen, unless they're on cheap short deals where they'd combine for $8m.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
That's one of those deals that only really makes sense with Edmonton.

Jeff Skinner is the type of finisher that really needs to be carried. I don't really see the right situation for him to succeed here. And I think he would see it that way.

I hope it works out for him. Edmonton still trying to outscore their problems.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Would love to see Francis move Schwartz and give those minutes to Tolvanen, who I think has shown to be a better fit...but I seriously doubt that's in the cards.
I want Schwartz off this team too. Injured every season and needs to be better defensively to play bottom-6 minutes. He is an odd-man out even when healthy. And with our current financial situation, under 8.5M to sign both Beniers and Tolvy, something has to give.

So, to sign Tolvy we need to create cap space and a roster spot. I am thinking the only legitimate candidates are moving one of Gourde, Tanev or Schwartz. And since Schwartz has an NMC, it is unlikely to be him.

Reactions: Fuhrious

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I want Schwartz off this team too. Injured every season and needs to be better defensively to play bottom-6 minutes. He is an odd-man out even when healthy. And with our current financial situation, under 8.5M to sign both Beniers and Tolvy, something has to give.

So, to sign Tolvy we need to create cap space and a roster spot. I am thinking the only legitimate candidates are moving one of Gourde, Tanev or Schwartz. And since Schwartz has an NMC, it is unlikely to be him.
It appears as though Schwartz NMC turned into a M-NTC on July 1st.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad