Kraken 2024 Offseason chatter

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I like the Alex Nylander idea. He's a good age; he's cheap; and the financial commitment should be a tiny notch above league minimum. If he somehow blossoms into more of a goal scorer next year, good for everyone concerned. If he doesn't, no big deal.

Reactions: majormajor

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I think the time to move Gourde was the trading deadline giving teams two playoff runs with him.
That probably had a chance to get you a first round pick which now is most likely gone and poor asset management of Francis.
Not sure that is fair. I feel it is pretty obvious that Francis had a build through the draft, unsexy but tried and true slow-build plan, and Ownership pushed for a more competitive team a year plus into the teams existence, throwing a wrench into the build. Trading Gourde and having Beniers as the only natural center on the roster is not something ownership would likely sign off on as they want a playoff push more than a stronger future team.

I do agree that the TDL would ahve been the ideal time to move Yanni, but I think those types of moves to embrace the tank and secure another top 5 pick are off the table if Francis wants to keep his job.

Tanev I don't thik has any "sweet time" to be traded.
We'll be lucky to get anything positive for him no matter if we would've traded him at the draft or some time between now and August.
I feel like he would actually be a pretty good pick up for Buffalo, especially now that Skinner is off the team :laugh:

I really hope Francis can make a trade or two and doesn't hand out another 5x5 ish contract or two.
Those are his worst contracts so far and that's not surprising given what I just wrote about.
Agreed. His Drafting and RFA contract negotiating have been outstanding. His UFA contract decisions as a whole have mostly been a borderline trainwreck.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Anxious to see what Francis does tomorrow, and this week. I hate that I love sports so much when it causes me so much anxiety ...

Pretty sure he'll acquire a center....I mean, he's gotta pick up a legitimate center from somewhere this week, doesn't he?

Goaltrending and the D are solid.
Winger depth, while no where elite, is pretty deep.
The Bottom six is not an area of strength, but they have pieces that should make it passable.
Their center lineup is arguably the worst in the league. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit nervous myself, I fear I may log in and see the Kraken news of "the return of Alex Wennberg on a 3 year deal!" tomorrow.

Reactions: Fuhrious

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Pretty sure he'll acquire a center....I mean, he's gotta pick up a legitimate center from somewhere this week, doesn't he?

Goaltrending and the D are solid.
Winger depth, while no where elite, is pretty deep.
The Bottom six is not an area of strength, but they have pieces that should make it passable.
Their center lineup is arguably the worst in the league. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit nervous myself, I fear I may log in and see the Kraken news of "the return of Alex Wennberg on a 3 year deal!" tomorrow.
lol I keep thinking the same thing RE Wennberg!

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
lol I keep thinking the same thing RE Wennberg!
no-memes-14.png

• Haha
Reactions: Fuhrious

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Just a thought to keep in mind: if the Kraken ditch Francis, there is no guarantee that we get a GM who drafts for skill the way he does.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Interesting add if true, definitely didnt expect Francis to go hard after a D given the current situation at that position. Dont know if that means someone (Dumoulin? Oleksiak?) is moving from the current group?

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Teravainen to the Hawks, looks like

Saying 3 / 5.4m for Teravainen...dunno if the player was highly motivated to sign there, but that feels like a contract Francis could have competed with?

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Fleury is a depth D …Evan’s that’s a good question

Honestly… That’s less money than I thought he was going to get
I'd love to see...

Larsson - Dunn
Evans - Montour
Oleksiak - Borgen
Dumoulin

Mind, $7.7m is waaaaaaaaaay too much to be spending on a #5/#7 D combo, so I hope Francis has something cooking to at least shed Dumoulin's hit?

Reactions: Hocktopus

Hocktopus

Jul 1, 2023
BC
The term is long but great signing! It bumps Borgen to 3rd pair and I think that Montour and Dunn could be deadly together on the PP

In terms of Larsson, I think they can stull extend him as cap will go up and he is a different D than Montour (defensive defenceman vs offensive defenceman).

Still, I would like to see the Kraken bring in a forward or two preferably someone with grit as we are lacking that up front.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2