Kraken 2024 Offseason chatter

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I have not followed Zegras as much, but I have always heard/read of him as more of an offensive-only winger. He will definitely put people in seats for the Kraken, fits the age of our young players and has a respectable AAV for the next 2 seasons after which he is an arbitration eligible RFA.

If our 8th is in play for Zegras, wouldn't you think that would also be the case for Necas? Or do you think Zegras is going to be more expensive because of the reasons stated above?

Zegras is younger, has shown flashes of brilliance and is under contract at a solid AAV.
Necas is an RFA that wants a longterm deal with a higher cap hit than Zegras currently has.

That's(and the fact you could market the guy) why I think Zegras is going to be more expensive than Necas.
Especially since the Canes would have trouble trying to re-sign Necas while the Ducks have no problem just keeping Zegras.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Zegras is younger, has shown flashes of brilliance and is under contract at a solid AAV.
Necas is an RFA that wants a longterm deal with a higher cap hit than Zegras currently has.

That's(and the fact you could market the guy) why I think Zegras is going to be more expensive than Necas.
Especially since the Canes would have trouble trying to re-sign Necas while the Ducks have no problem just keeping Zegras.
I can't believe the Ducks actually trade Zegras. I know I have been adamant about not trading draft picks, but if the 8th would fetch him, I'd likely do it. He has the potential to be a special player.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I can't believe the Ducks actually trade Zegras. I know I have been adamant about not trading draft picks, but if the 8th would fetch him, I'd likely do it. He has the potential to be a special player.

Well, the Ducks now have three centers(Calrsson, McTavish, Gauthier) which makes him exclusively a wing and there have been rumors for quite some time.

And even though you'd ideally try to trade something else for him(maybe next years first top ten protected), I would also trade #8 for him cause I don't think there's a more talented guy available at that position.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think Necas' stock is actually much higher than Zegras' right now.

And I think deservedly so based on their play in the last couple years.

I'd have to see who is available at pick #8 and base a decision on that, but it's an easier trade for me to make for Necas than for Zegras.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
What would it cost for Zegras?

8th OA + prospect + roster player (cap purposes)?

that would be an over pay. 1) zegras has baggage 2) hes nothing higher than the 3rd line for the ducks 3) he didn't exactly have a great 23-24 season. 4) hes meh at defensive and is very undisciplined

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
that would be an over pay. 1) zegras has baggage 2) hes nothing higher than the 3rd line for the ducks 3) he didn't exactly have a great 23-24 season. 4) hes meh at defensive and is very undisciplined
You may be one of the few folks who thinks that would be an overpay. Also, you lost me at point (2), so I don't think there is much to discuss there.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You may be one of the few folks who thinks that would be an overpay. Also, you lost me at point (2), so I don't think there is much to discuss there.

I think many many people will tell you that it is an overpay for Zegras.

But you're right, he's definitely a top six forward and not a third liner, lol.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think many many people will tell you that it is an overpay for Zegras.

But you're right, he's definitely a top six forward and not a third liner, lol.

He's not a top 6 forward for the ducks that why his production dropped cause anahiem doesn't see him as a top 6. This is why they need to get rid of him that just a waste of cap space.

He's too talent to be a 3rd liner but as long as he's stuck playing for the ducks he's not going to get top 6 mins. That's why its an over pay regarding the suggestion above. He's not producing at that kind of cap hit should be producing + the baggage.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He's not a top 6 forward for the ducks that why his production dropped cause anahiem doesn't see him as a top 6. This is why they need to get rid of him that just a waste of cap space.

He's too talent to be a 3rd liner but as long as he's stuck playing for the ducks he's not going to get top 6 mins. That's why its an over pay regarding the suggestion above. He's not producing at that kind of cap hit should be producing + the baggage.

Verbeek doesn't see him as a player he wants. He was already trying to trade him a year ago. They moved him down the lineup to have Leo Carlsson and other players get more of the focus.

That doesn't mean the Ducks see him as a third liner. They just don't see the fit on their team.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Verbeek doesn't see him as a player he wants. He was already trying to trade him a year ago. They moved him down the lineup to have Leo Carlsson and other players get more of the focus.

That doesn't mean the Ducks see him as a third liner. They just don't see the fit on their team.

With defense like the Ducks have, I can’t blame them.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
With Kraken needing a playmaker C moreso than another winger, I would think Zegras would be the preferred option over Laine or Necas. However I don't know if he's more highlight real player than actually great player. His Faceoff % is bad (5% worse than Beniers). I would not trade the 8OV for him as I feel we need one of the defensive prospects that will land there. But ironically I would trade Ryker Evans for him - ANA needs Defense improvements, Evans will be good but rather a top4 D and not top2.

1719075025944.png

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
I don't want anything to do with Zegras. Whenever I think of him and now Gauthier with him, yes, they are talented but the egos are so off the charts I just can't see them ever making a team work. The two of them together in Cali just makes me think of these guys:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Might be an option to free a forward spot and save some money.

Turbo's a great dude and all, but he's 32, in the last year of his contract and his role(bottom six guy) should probably go to a younger guy like Morisson or Winterton.

With Kraken needing a playmaker C moreso than another winger, I would think Zegras would be the preferred option over Laine or Necas. However I don't know if he's more highlight real player than actually great player. His Faceoff % is bad (5% worse than Beniers). I would not trade the 8OV for him as I feel we need one of the defensive prospects that will land there. But ironically I would trade Ryker Evans for him - ANA needs Defense improvements, Evans will be good but rather a top4 D and not top2.

View attachment 885707

I thimk the Kraken need playmakers period.

They basically have no one who can drive a line besides Burakovsky and Bura's always injured.

Zegras would fit that no matter if you play him at center or wing.

Also, Laine does like to have the puck on his stick and create( offensethe majority would be shots for himself) that waay.

Reactions: majormajor

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Might be an option to free a forward spot and save some money.

Turbo's a great dude and all, but he's 32, in the last year of his contract and his role(bottom six guy) should probably go to a younger guy like Morisson or Winterton.

I thimk the Kraken need playmakers period.

They basically have no one who can drive a line besides Burakovsky and Bura's always injured.

Zegras would fit that no matter if you play him at center or wing.

Also, Laine does like to have the puck on his stick and create( offensethe majority would be shots for himself) that waay.
Agree. Replacing Turbo with Kartye actually feels like a lateral move to me. Winterton and Morrison both have had really good AHL playoff runs and I think they should be fine to bring up to NHL.

While we are in the current state, i.e not fully competitive, we seriously need to look at moving expiring contracts, who are not going to be part of our core moving forward. Gourde and Tanev both fall into that group. Gourde will be harder to replace, but I would be ok giving a UFA a 2-4 year contract based on their age, and move Gourde.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Rutger McGroarty is looking likely to be avaiable to acquire in a trade with the Jets. He's not happy with the jets due to lack of opportunity and the team could be forced to trade him.

6-1 205 had a good season 16 goals 36 assists 52 points at michigan this past season. He could be an upgrade over gourde. He wouldn't cost a lot to acquire.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Agree. Replacing Turbo with Kartye actually feels like a lateral move to me. Winterton and Morrison both have had really good AHL playoff runs and I think they should be fine to bring up to NHL.

While we are in the current state, i.e not fully competitive, we seriously need to look at moving expiring contracts, who are not going to be part of our core moving forward. Gourde and Tanev both fall into that group. Gourde will be harder to replace, but I would be ok giving a UFA a 2-4 year contract based on their age, and move Gourde.

I think the deadline is the time to move on from Gourde. We'll probably get a much better return then than now.

Tanev won't be worth more than a mid pick either way so if someone wants him now, that's fine.

I'll admit I haven't given much of a look to Morrison or Winterton. How confident are we that they'll be NHLers?

6-1 205 had a good season 16 goals 36 assists 52 points at michigan this past season. He could be an upgrade over gourde. He wouldn't cost a lot to acquire.

I suppose "a lot" is relative. But I think for a 14th OA pick who has developed well, it won't be cheap. Our veterans will have Winnipeg on their NTCs, so it can only be a prospect for prospect trade, for one of our best prospects.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Rutger McGroarty is looking likely to be avaiable to acquire in a trade with the Jets. He's not happy with the jets due to lack of opportunity and the team could be forced to trade him.

lmao that's one hell of an assumption...

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
lmao that's one hell of an assumption...

Not really. If a player refuses to sign for what ever reason, the team doesn't have a lot of leverage and rather get something then having the player wait it out right to being a UFA. McGroarty isn't going to get a lot in a trade cause of that. Teams can just wait it out and try to sign him once the jet's rights to him expire.

jets aren't gonna get a first, vet player and prospects for him which would be considered a lot n terms of a return.

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think the deadline is the time to move on from Gourde. We'll probably get a much better return then than now.
My concern with that is that if we are making a playoff push, Francis won't move Gourde.
Tanev won't be worth more than a mid pick either way so if someone wants him now, that's fine.
It's also cap space clearing if we do end up signing a UFA or trade for an RFA needing to be re-signed.
I'll admit I haven't given much of a look to Morrison or Winterton. How confident are we that they'll be NHLers?
LOL. Just as I was typing this, Winterton scored in the 3rd to give us a 2-1 lead. But I am pretty confident that one, if not both of them make it in a bottom-9 capacity.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Not really. If a player refuses to sign for what ever reason, the team doesn't have a lot of leverage and rather get something then having the player wait it out right to being a UFA. McGroarty isn't going to get a lot in a trade cause of that. Teams can just wait it out and try to sign him once the jet's rights to him expire.

jets aren't gonna get a first, vet player and prospects for him which would be considered a lot n terms of a return.
The Ducks gave up Drysdale and their 2025 2nd for Gauthier. That’s like Evans and a 2nd. That’s “a lot”.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I've never seen a post that manages to get everything in it wrong, congratulations.

I doubt the Ducks would trade Zegras and there's been no rumours that he's being shopped. It's highly likely he'll stay a Duck, there's no point in selling low on him when he just had an injured year and still looked fine coming back from it.

All of the stuff about him not being good defensively is just bias, he gives his best every shift and is defensively responsible. He isn't perfect or elite but he's better than Necas and many of the other younger players like him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad