Low Effort GDT Kraft Hockeyville Presents: Clash at the Sudbury Community Arena | Sunday! Sunday! Sunday! (7PM)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I described the whole game, it's just perception got more and more negative every time a goal went in.

Wth are you talking about nobody takes care of things, both Hamonic and MacEwen went right after Poulin when he tried to go after Stu, had anybody tried to intervene with the Tkachuk situation it would have been a third man in, stupid penalty to want them to take.

No team plays a dominant 60 mins, go watch the globetrotters if that's what you want.

No you did not. You seemed to ignore the times where we were lost in our own zone while Pittsburgh got to most of the loose pucks and won most puck battles.

Tkachuk didn't even have his gloves off. It was a scrum not a fight. Can you even get third man in when it's not even a fight? Don't think so, but news to me.

You've been watching too many sens games. I've seen plenty of good teams play dominant for 60 minutes. Heck, you could have seen some of those games against the sens the last few years.

Back when we were good, we've had plenty of blowouts where we dominate the whole game.

We just aren't good and haven't been for a while so I don't blame you for having a spotty memory there.

Reactions: headup

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I mean the system they had them playing was on full display in the first period. Extremely tight gaps with puck pressure all over the ice. Players are literally talking about thinking too much as they get used to it. They just stopped excecuting as the game went along. Coach's can only do so much. It takes reps. By game 30 if you want to start to complain about the coaching and show tangible reasons I will listen but it's way too early and frankly the signs of a good system were already seeing it in game 1 of actually having an NHL roster in exhibition game.

What we did see were d men stepping up on guys with the blue line with back pressure. That's coaching. If you don't want to acknowledge it that's fine. But it was happening.
But that's always been the issue. Same thing with Jacques Martin... The system wasn't the issue, but the players not being able to consistently apply it. They would look good for bits and people would say "see the system works" but then they would not play well for periods and rack up a few Ls and people would make excuses...and then we win some and people point to it as what are team is capable of and gets enthusiastic...and then we lose more games and hear more excuses.

You're right that we need to let it play out. I'm just saying so far, we saw the team show up for a part of the game and looked good...and then we saw them not look so good, and lose the game. That reminds me a lot of last year. We looked amazing for many portions of many games, but we couldn't put it down for 60 mins to get the W. It's just preseason, so it doesn't mean anything. I'm just looking for signs.

So far, showing up for portions of the game and looking like world beaters for a few mins, and then also looking bad for portions of the game and losing the game is par for the course from last year. Same shit, different day.

So, sure, this coach will bring a different style, and we will see it more and more over the next ~30 or some games like you mention, for sure...

But if the team still can't play consistently for 60 mins, game after game, we're probably going to lose our fair share of games, and be on the outside looking in yet again.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Well, 4-2 assumes we still let in the EN goal after pulling the goalie early to make up a two goal deficit, it's impossible to know how things would have gone had he not let in the stinker.

That said, I don't think it's fair to blame Forsberg, the pop fly goal was a one in million situation, the first goal was a tap in where neither D took care of the weak side and a forward lost coverage on Crosby, so at best were tied without him being at fault.

I didn't go back and rewatch the other goal, it seemed soft on first viewing, so maybe that one was on him, we just needed to finish on some of our chances on the PP and it doesn't matter
I saw one bad goal, one fluke goal, and three goals where the goalie wasn’t at fault. If you want to quibble about the empty net goal, then whatever. In the end, with the big picture in mind, we still would have lost. We had one good period and then were outplayed for the rest of the game. That’s what important.

Sometimes I wonder about the psychology or mindset of those who need a single source to blame. Is there a tendency to not want to admit there are multiple problems? Maybe that’s just human nature - who knows?

I’m hoping they have another gear and will play better once the season starts.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
That deflected in goal by Sanderson was hilarious to watch. What a perfect pop fly.

The chicken little posts from Jeff Beck is entertaining.

Not chicken little lol, I'm not panicking...they're doing what I've been predicting all along...

It seems like everyone was on the same boat a few months ago.

The consensus was that we suck until proven otherwise. It's much easier to cope with predicting the team will suck and have them suck, than to predict they will be good and make the playoffs and then have them suck and miss the playoffs and get all bent out of shape.

How quickly some of you have forgotten.

I'm sticking to the plan. We suck until we make the playoffs. Then all hell breaks loose with positive fandom.

It's much easier that way. :) everyone agreed in spring time.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No you did not. You seemed to ignore the times where we were lost in our own zone while Pittsburgh got to most of the loose pucks and won most puck battles.
Hockey has ups and downs, no team is perfect for 60, the system was the same start to finish even if execution was better at times.
Tkachuk didn't even have his gloves off. It was a scrum not a fight. Can you even get third man in when it's not even a fight? Don't think so, but news to me.
They both threw Punch's, and the other guy dropped his gloves, the could easily have called it a fight but chose not to, had a third guy jumped in there was the risk of a penalty for no reason, Tkachuk is more than capable of handling himself.
You've been watching too many sens games. I've seen plenty of good teams play dominant for 60 minutes. Heck, you could have seen some of those games against the sens the last few years.
I watch lots of games, and no, other teams aren't perfect for 60 mins, come on, this is getting absurd.
Back when we were good, we've had plenty of blowouts where we dominate the whole game.
Again, this is completely unrealistic. Once in a blue moon maybe, but with two evenly matched teams this would be exceedingly rare.
We just aren't good and haven't been for a while so I don't blame you for having a spotty memory there.
Its preseason introducing a new system, I think you might have to adjust expectations because you e repeatedly shown yours are unrealistic. The team did a lot of good things, they still need to get to the point where it's automatic but the adjustments seem effective.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Hockey has ups and downs, no team is perfect for 60, the system was the same start to finish even if execution was better at times.

They both threw Punch's, and the other guy dropped his gloves, the could easily have called it a fight but chose not to, had a third guy jumped in there was the risk of a penalty for no reason, Tkachuk is more than capable of handling himself.

I watch lots of games, and no, other teams aren't perfect for 60 mins, come on, this is getting absurd.

Again, this is completely unrealistic. Once in a blue moon maybe, but with two evenly matched teams this would be exceedingly rare.

Its preseason introducing a new system, I think you might have to adjust expectations because you e repeatedly shown yours are unrealistic. The team did a lot of good things, they still need to get to the point where it's automatic but the adjustments seem effective.

Funny you say I'm unrealistic yet my predictions of being crappy seem to align with the outcomes way more than every rosy eyed posters predictions.

Going back to last year, every time we put a couple wins together, you would have 75% of the posters get all positive and start to mention chances of making the playoffs, and every time I had to poopoo on their parade and remind them that we are super inconsistent and often suck, so we will inevitably go on a losing streak and lose ground.

You may call that unrealistic, but stats will show that my predictions are actually of the "realest" variety.

I think you're also way too hung up on this "dominate for 60 minutes" as it's obviously a bit of a hyperbole.

There have been plenty of games over the past few years where the sens get shut out or only score 1-2 goal and we struggle to get any type of consistent zone time while the opponent produces multiple high quality chances themselves every period and win the game handedly from start to finish. (Like the win was never really in question)

I meant to do THAT ^ to the other team. Not to win 12-0 and outshoot them 46-11.

You were picturing the wrong thing in your head when I said to dominate a game...I meant it within reason...like what you see from good teams after they lose a few and decide to just put their foot down all game. That happens against us quite often, but we never really do it to other teams.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Funny you say I'm unrealistic yet my predictions of being crappy seem to align with the outcomes way more than every rosy eyed posters predictions.

Going back to last year, every time we put a couple wins together, you would have 75% of the posters get all positive and start to mention chances of making the playoffs, and every time I had to poopoo on their parade and remind them that we are super inconsistent and often suck, so we will inevitably go on a losing streak and lose ground.

You may call that unrealistic, but stats will show that my predictions are actually of the "realest" variety.

I think you're also way too hung up on this "dominate for 60 minutes" as it's obviously a bit of a hyperbole.

There have been plenty of games over the past few years where the sens get shut out or only score 1-2 goal and we struggle to get any type of consistent zone time while producing multiple high quality chances themselves every period and win the game handedly from start to finish. (Like the win was never really in question)

I meant to do THAT ^ to the other team. Not to win 12-0 and outshoot them 46-11.

You were picturing the wrong thing in your head when I said to dominate a game...I meant it within reason...like what you see from good teams after they lose a few and decide to just put their foot down all game. That happens against us quite often, but we never really do it to other teams.
I said your expectations are unrealistic because they are, you have a fantasy based idea of how other teams play,

Your description of this game as exactly like previous years tells me you either weren't watching or don't know what to look for.

You have an expectation for consistency in preseason with a new system being introduced, and have already started blaming the coaching claiming we need an upgrade, absolutely bonkers that you could somehow come to that conclusion in preseason with just 4 games.

People want to whine about a preseason loss, have at it.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I said your expectations are unrealistic because they are, you have a fantasy based idea of how other teams play,

Your description of this game as exactly like previous years tells me you either weren't watching or don't know what to look for.

You have an expectation for consistency in preseason with a new system being introduced, and have already started blaming the coaching claiming we need an upgrade, absolutely bonkers that you could somehow come to that conclusion in preseason with just 4 games.

People want to whine about a preseason loss, have at it.

No. My expectations are that we will miss the playoffs. I think we're improved over last year, but not enough. We'll see how realistic my expectations are.

What I'm saying is I see other teams have games against us where their win was never in question. If we're to be a good team, we need to start having those games against other teams.

I don't want to look up the details but will if you want me to...but I seem to remember a couple games as examples where the other team's win was never in question.

1) wasn't there a game against Colorado where they had lost a couple in a row, and recently a bad loss to Montreal, so everyone on our board predicted Colorado would walk all over us, and they did? Outshot us significantly. Outscored us significantly. And just owned the game from start to finish?

2) wasn't there a game where I think we were facing playoff elimination or whatever and we got 0 or 1 shot in the third when trailing?

3) almost any game against Florida.

All I'm saying is, we have to start "dominating" games like that if we're to call ourselves a good or strong team or cup contender.

Huh? I never said I came to that conclusion over the past 4 games. I was under the impression that he wasn't a top coach from the start. Before the signing. The day of the signing. After the signing.

That is my opinion of him. He's going to have to change it. I'm not going to change it for no reason. That would be silly. Why did you even think it was based on 4 preseason games? That's odd.

I'm not whining about the loss. Like I've said like 6 times already, it's a preseason game and doesn't matter.

I'm just saying my prediction was that we miss the playoffs, and so far, I'm seeing a lot of the same issues as last year, and I'm saying nothing so far has made me waver from my opinion that this team isn't good enough. Why do you call that whining? It's just what it is. I'm not complaining. I expected this.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Game was lost in the 2nd when Ottawa was all over them and couldn't capitalize. Could easily have been 4-1, should have been 3-1 minimum. Instead you give a team with good firepower a second life.

The new additions of Jensen and Perron were both good imo. Perron was buzzing all night and still has excellent skills

Stutzlaaaa

Dec 18, 2021
Hey everybody knows it's only preseason and this opinion has nothing to do with this game, but from what we saw last season and early preseason is this team lacks .Puck handler, playmakers/creativity, good fast skaters who will contribute in a consistent basis.

We only have Stu who can generate offense for other and hold on puck to create something of transition ( talking about forwards here only). This team clearly is missing top end talent , on top of good defensive forwards. Tkachuk for me is looking more and more as a bad leader since his efforts are always on the same side of the ice. If your captain does that for sure it will affect the rest of the team.

Some people will say it not his role and try to make him look good like Media because he hits ( pretty rare that Tkachuk hit hard most of the players are not afraid of him or his hits) for me Ovechkin is way more meaner with his hits then Tkachuk which says a lot . Ye our Captain is big and strong like bull on his skate now which is good for the front net and to protect the puck but that's about it.

To go back to the lack of top end talent, even if Norris is at 100% we still lack a a top 6 winger or two( Need someone to replace Giroux) who can make plays on his own. Batherson is one if he can be consistent like he was pre Dell injury. So we need another RW and LW for Top 6 Greig might be one if let him play on TOP6LW spot but he need time to grow on that role definitely has the skill to do so.

So ye we still far from playoff it seems , even with new system and good goalie it still a reach when you just don't have the guns to make it there like most of the team that compete for spots.

I would try to compete as hard possible this season if I was manager to see what those players really got/are and if we miss playoff. would break the core and hope for McKenna the season after :laugh::help:

• Haha
Reactions: bert and DrEasy

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Suddenly, Joseph is considered an exceptional player, yet when he was on our team, many were eager to trade him for a bag of pucks. It's peculiar how Sens fans seem to lack appreciation for players while they're here, but the moment they leave, they become ardent admirers.

Yeah in a preseason game that means absolutely nothing. okay

I always appreciated Joseph. Go through my post history.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
if this was written earlier, my apologies.

Many of Pitt's better players were playing game 1 of the pre-season.

5-2 for Pitt.

A tad troubling.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Are people suggesting Joseph wasn't appreciated here? If you read the trade discussion thread, he was one of the most overrated Senators of all time compared to his real life negative trade value. I think I got roasted for saying he might get a 3rd if we're lucky, and some people went as far as to suggest he should get a 1st.

His play during the first half of last season was one of the few bright points for the team, so it earned him a lot of praise around here.

As someone with a massive noggin I don't appreciate this.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Interested to see the lineup for tomorrow. I think people might be overreacting to a close loss where we handily outplayed them for large parts. Greig needs to bury that chance, obviously, and the game is completely different.

I PVRed the game and finished it today. One thing that the team is going to have to get used to - and quickly - is the attack style of play Green seems to employ. I can see the legs getting heavy in the third and especially on back to back games. Not complaining about it, we attacked well on the forecheck, but that's gonna take some added endurance.

Reactions: bert

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Interested to see the lineup for tomorrow. I think people might be overreacting to a close loss where we handily outplayed them for large parts. Greig needs to bury that chance, obviously, and the game is completely different.

I PVRed the game and finished it today. One thing that the team is going to have to get used to - and quickly - is the attack style of play Green seems to employ. I can see the legs getting heavy in the third and especially on back to back games. Not complaining about it, we attacked well on the forecheck, but that's gonna take some added endurance.
If you mean the 1st period by “large parts”, then sure.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Haha Ya think?! Its pretty crazy to me that people are calling out a coach when that was the first game he has had an NHL roster and they actually had a good game plan but couldnt sustain it for a full 60. In an exhibition game, or people losing their minds about a 15 year veteran. Do you think these guys are going to go balls to the wall in an exhibition in an new system new line mates etc. I have a hard time believing hockey fans that dont understand that its not automatic.

Not only that but they were the better team... In a meaningless game where guys are just trying to get comfortable.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad