Value of: Kovacevic

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I already did.

What do you think is his value?

Your in-depth analysis was this one-liner: Position, RHD, size, contract, age & play.

The biggest weight would be “his play”, which I provided a couple of sources to indicate that he’s a weak, bottom-pairing player. Perhaps you can explain your rationale on why you think his play is better than what these sources say?

It seems like you created this thread to vindicate the Jets putting Kovy on waivers. You got your answer from several posters. He’s worth more to the Habs then in a trade so if a team was interested, be prepared to pay above market value for a depth defenseman.

So, the answer is “take his actual market value and multiply that by some modifier to reflect that Montreal has no one else to replace a third pairing, sub-performing player to get what Montreal would actually want in a trade”… which, of course, has nothing to do with his actual market value.

I don’t know why it’s so hard for people to say, “his market value is around a 4th/5th round pick but we are not in a position to trade him given the role he fills on our team”.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
His value is likely more than a lot may think. Teams are desperate for RD. And his lower salary is adding to his trade value.
I doubt it. Kovacevic's analytics are a train wreck of bad. He's the Habs worst player not named Jordan Harris. Even worse than the awful season Josh Anderson is having.

Rafael Harvey-Pinard is the Habs player that has sneaky decent analytics despite his modest production. He'd be a good buy low candidate if the Habs were selling.

Our ex-boy Alex Newhook is having a decent season for the Habs too. He's come on lately. I'm happy for Alex. The Avs did a poor job of developing him, but the Habs are showing more patience for his ups and downs.

Reactions: Guffman

Jamaican Patty

Jul 13, 2023
I doubt it. Kovacevic's analytics are a train wreck of bad. He's the Habs worst player not named Jordan Harris. Even worse than the awful season Josh Anderson is having.

Rafael Harvey-Pinard is the Habs player that has sneaky decent analytics despite his modest production. He'd be a good buy low candidate if the Habs were selling.

Our ex-boy Alex Newhook is having a decent season for the Habs too. He's come on lately. I'm happy for Alex. The Avs did a poor job of developing him, but the Habs are showing more patience for his ups and downs.

Lol RHP is terrible.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

He's absorbing 76% Defensive Zone starts on a rebuilding team. Of course his analytics are bad.

Reactions: viceroy

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
He's absorbing 76% Defensive Zone starts on a rebuilding team. Of course his analytics are bad.
So he's a bad player at handling the role of defensive D man. Exactly my point. This isn't a good player, it's a bad player in a role he's not equipped to handle, but has to because his team isn't very good.

Reactions: Guffman

JT3

May 27, 2013
Don't really understand the point of this thread if OP is just here to tell us he isn't worth anything due to his analytics. Like the poster above me said, he's a bottom pair guy eating heavy defensive minutes on a bad team.

Analytics are a good tool to use as part of the evaluation of a player. It shouldn't be the entire evaluation. The eye test from my season and a quarter of watching Kovacevic is that he's a solid bottom pair guy with size and a dirt cheap contract. If a team comes calling, the realistic answer to pry him out is probably a 2nd round pick. 3rd rounder or below doesn't really do a whole lot for us as he provides a role right now and we've already got cupboards full of picks and B/C level prospect depth. If a 2nd is too high that's fine, because as far as I know he isn't being shopped.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Team would have to pay a 2nd for him or similar. 3rd rounder would not cut it and you keep him. Simple.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Team would have to pay a 2nd for him or similar. 3rd rounder would not cut it and you keep him. Simple.
Eh, he's not in the future plans of the Habs. Unless you think he can play better and get more next year, your best bet for him is this deadline. He's an effective 3rd pairing dman with another year and his cap hit is below league minimum.

If the best you can get is a 3rd, take it and downgrade

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
It seems like you created this thread to vindicate the Jets putting Kovy on waivers. You got your answer from several posters. He’s worth more to the Habs then in a trade so if a team was interested, be prepared to pay above market value for a depth defenseman.
Yup. This thread was not created in good faith.

That being said, I've said before, I expect if he's moved, it'll be as part of a RD swap that lowers costs for the other team so they can add another piece. ie, Kovavevic and Anderson/Dvorak/Allen for an expensive RD and other assets/futures.

On his own, he has no great value and most of that is derived from a great contract that just about any team can add, combined with playing a highly coveted position. But there'd be no reason for Montreal to move him for a mid-round pick, unless Mailloux, Lindstrom or Reinbacher simply win a roster spot from him at some point. But there's no reason to think that's happening before the deadline this year.

Reactions: viceroy and MXD

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Eh, he's not in the future plans of the Habs. Unless you think he can play better and get more next year, your best bet for him is this deadline. He's an effective 3rd pairing dman with another year and his cap hit is below league minimum.

If the best you can get is a 3rd, take it and downgrade
But this isn't a game of marbles where you simply want to build up a bigger stash, regardless of the team you're icing.... It's important to ice a decent lineup to keep the team somewhat competitive, and not have the other young guys see a useful player sold off for magic beans (and not even great beans if it's a 3d rounder or less), to build up organisational culture. Until the 2025 deadline, until he's beaten out of a roster spot by a younger guy, why trade him ? The difference in return isn't going to be much, and stability has value in and of itself.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Agreed, which is why I find it confounding that Hab fans are suggesting he is worth at least a 2nd round pick if not more. Quite a hefty haul for someone with awful metrics playing a third pairing role.
That's what Habs fans in this thread have gauged an overpayment to be, he can be worth less in your opinion. No need to get confounded. There's not really an appetite to move him as he fills his role exceptionally well and there's a lot of value in having a big/cheap/low-maintenance/effective RHD that isn't pushing for top-4 or PP mins on a rebuilding team. Nobody is arguing that he's a top-4 defenceman with untapped potential just waiting to break out. He's an effective role player with two years of an unreasonably affordable contract.

Reactions: Chose and pth2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad