Confirmed with Link: Kovacevic Traded to the Devils for 2026 4th Round pick (Highest of the three 4th Rounders the Devils own)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Makes sense to move Kovacevic but he always felt like great value at 766K and a pretty ideal bottom pairing dman. Wishing him well with NJD
Cost-wise it was a great deal. I wish he was a bit more like Strubble with his 6'4" frame. Or that strubble was 6'4" :)

Just a tad old for the core, not bringing enough to hold off other prospects, needing the contract space and cap... still, a really nice pickup that worked out good.

Reactions: Walrus26 and Chili

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Cost-wise it was a great deal. I wish he was a bit more like Strubble with his 6'4" frame. Or that strubble was 6'4" :)

Just a tad old for the core, not bringing enough to hold off other prospects, needing the contract space and cap... still, a really nice pickup that worked out good.
I am glad the opportunity the Habs provided Kovasevic helped him prove he was a serviceable NHL player

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I agree that the draft was pretty suspect after the first round - a legacy pick, an extremely obscure goalie, an enforcer and a bunch of over-agers. It seemed like they all got drunk after round 1, and then just winged it the next day, like they were too enamoured with their round 1 picks to care what happened after 😂.

However, I do think it was worth it to move up for Hage. I doubt he’d have been there at 26. We’ll see how it turns out.

As for Poirier, he’s a seriously flawed player and it has nothing to do with his size. 31 teams passed on him multiple times. I’d be very surprised if he ever ends up as a full-time NHL player.

The rest, Hughes has all summer to sort out. Take a breather lmao.
Poirier is as flawed as Roy or Gallagher were. He's making the NHL.

Reactions: 26Mats

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Poirier is as flawed as Roy or Gallagher were. He's making the NHL.
He’s a worse skater than both, and does nothing well except shooting the puck, and even then, he’s just good at that, not elite. He’s a smaller, worse version of Eiserman with poor skating.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
What a stupid moronic move. He made our D core much more physical. Hell If they had the intention of adding someone on the right side, I would have kept Kovacevich as a fourth liner. As the guy can skate as well.
At best, we were keeping him this year. In 2 years, he won't be a top 6 d-man. So what is it about this year that we need him so much? AS far as physicality, I think that's overstated. Best d-man these playoffs wasn't Ekblad. It was Forsling. But if you still want physicality, you have Guhle, Mailloux and Xhekaj. Savard can hold his own. Then it leaves Hutson, Matheson, Harris and Struble. If Struble makes it, he's physical too. You can then trade Harris and Matheson if needed. And then you have 5 physical d-men out of 6.

Reactions: Miller Time

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
At best, we were keeping him this year. In 2 years, he won't be a top 6 d-man. So what is it about this year that we need him so much? AS far as physicality, I think that's overstated. Best d-man these playoffs wasn't Ekblad. It was Forsling. But if you still want physicality, you have Guhle, Mailloux and Xhekaj. Savard can hold his own. Then it leaves Hutson, Matheson, Harris and Struble. If Struble makes it, he's physical too. You can then trade Harris and Matheson if needed. And then you have 5 physical d-men out of 6.

He's bigger than Struble. And to me size and physicality you never have too much. He was solid outthere and could skate for his size. He's actually a rare breed. And if you go to war, you need all your weapons, you cannot afford to just throw one away. That's a weird move to just go, "there, just go away". I don't get that mindset. And he also loved to play for us.

I'm telling you I would even have kept him as a fourth liner. We don't have many guys on the fourth line that can play hockey, are big and can be a physical presence.

Apr 28, 2010
Kovacevic had to go to make room for Mailloux. It's just business. It doesn't mean he sucked. He was very serviceable. But I'm excited to see another kid make the jump.

Reactions: NewDef

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
He's bigger than Struble. And to me size and physicality you never have too much. He was solid outthere and could skate for his size. He's actually a rare breed. And if you go to war, you need all your weapons, you cannot afford to just throw one away. That's a weird move to just go, "there, just go away". I don't get that mindset. And he also loved to play for us.

I'm telling you I would even have kept him as a fourth liner. We don't have many guys on the fourth line that can play hockey, are big and can be a physical presence.
I thought he was an ideal seventh D. He can sit, and he can play, good D, physical, including fighting. They have better D available, but most wouldn’t be willing to sit half the time. Waivers are going to be a problem now, though, so I can see why management is starting to dump.

Reactions: Kimota and NewDef

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Kovacevic isn't really a physical presence. He's fine if you are filling a team around the edges, but he's not a rare commodity by any means.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Kovacevic isn't really a physical presence. He's fine if you are filling a team around the edges, but he's not a rare commodity by any means.

He is a physical presence. Physicality has changed in this day and age. You have a big body and work hard on the puck and that matters a lot in your zone. It's just harder for the opposite teams' forwards when there's less space.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He is a physical presence. Physicality has changed in this day and age. You have a big body and work hard on the puck and that matters a lot in your zone. It's just harder for the opposite teams' forwards when there's less space.

Our definitions of a physical presence are different.

What you are describing seems to infer gap control and reach..... and to that end, then we would have to say Hal Gill was a physical player.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think they plan on signing somebody tomorrow. Would make sense why they made the move now. I doubt Mailloux makes the team right off the rip next season.

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Struble
Harris - Barron

I don't see a free spot. Also, Hughes said he didn't envision signing a vet RD who would block the way if Reinbacher and Mailloux. He said at some point you have to give the reins to the youth and for them to take the team as their own.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He’s a worse skater than both, and does nothing well except shooting the puck, and even then, he’s just good at that, not elite. He’s a smaller, worse version of Eiserman with poor skating.
I guess if you bury your head in the sand and say he sucks life gets easier.
Mailloux and Reinbacher will be knocking at the door, Barron isn't waiver exempt any more, plus we have 6 NHL LD's.
Ultimately it doesn't really matter but there's much more pressing matter.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I don’t think a 3rd would have been crazy expectations… I understand that free up the log jam / contract is valuable to us but NJ aren’t doing us a favour they are getting a cheap player that they will use, Kulak as a rental plus retention return a 2nd+

I thought he'd have 3rd round value from a cap stretched team... Seems like a perfect #7 for a contender looking to add a reliable body with minimal cap implications.

But it's pretty safe to assume that this was the best offer they could find. No reason they'd have done NJ a favor or avoided trading him to a division rival offering more.

Turning a redundant depth player we had no room for and would likely lose on waivers into a 4th is solid imo

Reactions: 26Mats

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Struble
Harris - Barron

I don't see a free spot. Also, Hughes said he didn't envision signing a vet RD who would block the way if Reinbacher and Mailloux. He said at some point you have to give the reins to the youth and for them to take the team as their own.
Hutson still has to make the team. I’m not as convinced at others he will be a regular in the NHL next season. If they sign somebody on the right side, they could potentially move Guhle to his strong side.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I thought he'd have 3rd round value from a cap stretched team... Seems like a perfect #7 for a contender looking to add a reliable body with minimal cap implications.

But it's pretty safe to assume that this was the best offer they could find. No reason they'd have done NJ a favor or avoided trading him to a division rival offering more.

Turning a redundant depth player we had no room for and would likely lose on waivers into a 4th is solid imo

I still think it is underwhelming for MTL because it is a great trade for NJ, they get a player that is in his prime ready to play and all they have they give a pick that as less of 25% of even playing a 100 games in the NHL. Also there are probably 5-6 team where he would ahve been even more valuble not sure way not one was able to beat a 4th.

I think there would have be a way to wait it out and not lose anyone to waivers but that might be a uncomfortable situation for 5-6 guys and ultimately you are better to fix the issue then to let it drag on and affecting morale.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00