Rumor: Kotkaniemi Extension - 8 x $4.25-$4.5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
A great contract for the Canes, at worst, he's a #3C.
Ya for sure. Could be Trochek replacement for 2C as soon as next year. Staal is a a UFA after next year as well so there will be C spots open for him Drury and potentially Jarvis if they go that route with him.

Assuming we can sign Aho to another extension having this depth going forward would be great considering the cost and age of players.

Aho
Kotkaniemi
Jarvis
Drury

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Wow, this would mean KK isn't betting on himself becoming anything more than a 3C. If he breaks out next season , he'll be regretting that one. He's taking more money security than anything. If I was his agent I'd be pushing a 3 or 4 year deal (5 max) to bring him to UFA between 25-27.

Big win for Carolina if true though.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
He showed flashes of brilliance as a hab and then showed flashes of being complete garbage.

Obviously there's a risk with the term if he can't figure it out, but if he does, could easily be a steal as early as the 1st, or 2nd season of the deal.

Reactions: mikeyfan

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I would argue it’s medium risk on both sides. The big advantage from the Canes perspective is that he can either outperform the contract which is great, play to the expectations of the contract which is fine… if he underperforms this contract is pretty buyout friendly in that it would only be on 1/3 of the amount or at only $4-4.5m it probably isn’t impossible to find a trade partner.
high risk high reward.... 8 years is quite a bit for him, though

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
KK is currently worth 4.5 for sure from now on. If he signs for 8 years he is stupid. What if he gets better? and STUCK in that 8 years deal.
Example. If in two years he gets better and would sign for 6mil per as a 20-25 goals guy. stuck in that 4.5 he is leaving 6 years at maybe 1.5 mil per extra.
His pay rate will not go down from the 4.5 per so KK is giving up a ton of potential MONEY for maybe 6 years.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
If Kotkaniemi ever figures it out this contract could be a steal. Or he could be an expensive 3rd liner for a long time. Personally I don't think he should sign for 8 years. There are greater odds that he ends up underpaid by 20 million than overpaid by 10 over the course of the deal.

Reactions: Oryxo

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
If the Cap starts going up, it won't matter if KK turns out to be a medium player, 4.25 to 4.5 will be a good deal.

Reactions: DaveG

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
If Kotkaniemi ever figures it out this contract could be a steal. Or he could be an expensive 3rd liner for a long time. Personally I don't think he should sign for 8 years. There are greater odds that he ends up underpaid by 20 million than overpaid by 10 over the course of the deal.
Canes are currently paying their 3C $6M per year. Staal is a great defensive center, but dropping that over a million as the cap starts going up again seems like a great long term bet.

And as said earlier, if he’s a total bust they can buy him out at 1/3 even after 3 years. Would be a LONG buyout, but 1/3 of $4.5M would only be a $1.5M cap hit for the buyout.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Canes are currently paying their 3C $6M per year. Staal is a great defensive center, but dropping that over a million as the cap starts going up again seems like a great long term bet.

And as said earlier, if he’s a total bust they can buy him out at 1/3 even after 3 years. Would be a LONG buyout, but 1/3 of $4.5M would only be a $1.5M cap hit for the buyout.

Staal is the best 3C of the post-lockout era though and can be hard-matched against top competition. I think you'd get you pay for as far as cap savings go.

I doubt he'd be bought out. More likely he'd be dumped like Matheson or Zaitsev if he flops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad