Koskinen stealing the starting job?

Plevna

Nov 2, 2018
In all fairness Peter F'n Chiarelli paid a lot of $$$ to give an unproven NHL goalie a shot. It has worked well so far but considering Chias history, there was plenty of reason to be skeptical.

Edit: I absolutely supported that aquisition from day one. It was a gamble though and I was starting to think we were screwed when he played a few preseason games. He's killing it right now. I hope he keeps it up.

It's reason to remember that Koskinen earned in KHL over 2,4 million bucks in year. It's not secret that money is main reason why he is not came back in NHL earlier. He got offers from many NHL teams in past years. Edmonton just gave good offer enough. Maybe Chiarelli's gambling will bring jackpot. Will see.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
It's reason to remember that Koskinen earned in KHL over 2,4 million bucks in year. It's not secret that money is main reason why he is not came back in NHL earlier. He got offers from many NHL teams in past years. Edmonton just gave good offer enough. Maybe Chiarelli's gambling will bring jackpot. Will see.
Where did you get this info?

What I heard from himself was that his intention was to come back and now was a good time. Money didn't matter in the decision to come to NA but of course it mattered since there were 2-3 other teams bidding for him.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I feel there is two tiers to the OBC though. Gretzky and Kurri are a little higher on the list than those tier two slugs.
This is actually brilliant. KLowe wants to give a press conference and put fans into tiers? Then us fans get to tier the alumni.

“We have 2 types of alumni. There are ones that were instrumental in winning cups and we have alumni that watched the game, didn’t play a lot, that we still care about....(awkward pause)....certainly the alumni that scored the goals, we spend a lot of time talking about them.....I think it’s safe to say that half the general managers in the league wouldn’t trade their front office for our OBC front office.”

Just rewatched that press conference. It’s even more cringeworthy now, all these years later. Yikes, that did not age well.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Hrudey said it about Kosko: he is tracking the play at an elite level. You never see him look surprised or back on his heels as the play progresses. He's learned to be aggressive without being reckless and to use his size to his extreme advantage. It's awesome to see.

That said, watching the replays, I have this feeling like he's going to get lit up at least one of these next few games. I hope I'm wrong, but there have been quite a few 50/50 bounces going his way. One of these games they're all going to go against him. But this doesn't change the fact that he is playing like a top-15 starter in the league, and I hope his confidence is high enough to rebound.

Plevna

Nov 2, 2018
Where did you get this info?

What I heard from himself was that his intention was to come back and now was a good time. Money didn't matter in the decision to come to NA but of course it mattered since there were 2-3 other teams bidding for him.

I read his long interview about two years ago. He said that he want to play in NHL again but have to get reasonable deal first. KHL players in Russian have to pay taxes only 13 percent so he has been make more money there than now. So it's true that his NHL comeback it's not only business. But it's clear that every good pro player want decent salary.

Reactions: LaGu

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I read his long interview about two years ago. He said that he want to play in NHL again but have to get reasonable deal first. KHL players in Russian have to pay taxes only 13 percent so he has been make more money there than now. So it's true that his NHL comeback it's not only business. But it's clear that every good pro player want decent salary.
Makes sense. This needs also to be considered when people were talking about getting him for a bargain deal like "KHL's best goalie" Francouz in Col. That kind of deal was never going to happen, from a business point of view.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Hrudey said it about Kosko: he is tracking the play at an elite level. You never see him look surprised or back on his heels as the play progresses. He's learned to be aggressive without being reckless and to use his size to his extreme advantage. It's awesome to see.

That said, watching the replays, I have this feeling like he's going to get lit up at least one of these next few games. I hope I'm wrong, but there have been quite a few 50/50 bounces going his way. One of these games they're all going to go against him. But this doesn't change the fact that he is playing like a top-15 starter in the league, and I hope his confidence is high enough to rebound.
I think Talbot is more than capable of jumping in and play well in that situation. And Koski seems like a guy who would shake off a bad game in around 30 secs :laugh:. Cool as ice.

Reactions: frag2 and oljimmy

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

And anyway by now he has already secured good career earnings, he's in a very different life situation than before his SKA years which also allows different decisions for a family man. I think at this point his NHL contract was more about ice time and conditions (NMC) than money.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I think Talbot is more than capable of jumping in and play well in that situation. And Koski seems like a guy who would shake off a bad game in around 30 secs :laugh:. Cool as ice.
tumblr_mliomuW6OV1rlvlewo3_500.gif

lucicwaivers

Dec 31, 2018
I am shocked Koskinen is not formally called the starter. Just look at the statistics - Koskinen has a winning record. Talbot has close to a 25% winrate. talbot has 0.892 save percentage, 48/52 in the nhl, basically worst in the NHL. Koskinen has a respectable save percentage.
Koskinen had a bad game where he let in 4 goals, Talbot always has bad games where he lets in at least 4 goals (even 7 goals), where he goes down early and gives up free goals when the opposition raises the puck.
Stick by Koskinen, he is the clear number one. He is allowed to have one bad game, two bad games. He is the starter.

The hockey media is incredibly biased, trying to pretend Cam Talbot is still good. Finding every reason to say Talbot is still good, then he lets in another bad goal. The media says both goalies are still good, not formally calling Koskinen the starter. What is the point of this? It is clear Talbot is playing at league worst, Koskinen is playing well. Treat the number one goalie Koskinen with respect.

If the Oilers miraculously make the playoffs, it will be because they play Koskinen more, and formally call him the number 1 goalie.
The Oilers had a good start under Hitch because of Koskie, give him the well deserved respect.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I am shocked Koskinen is not formally called the starter. Just look at the statistics - Koskinen has a winning record. Talbot has close to a 25% winrate. talbot has 0.892 save percentage, 48/52 in the nhl, basically worst in the NHL. Koskinen has a respectable save percentage.
Koskinen had a bad game where he let in 4 goals, Talbot always has bad games where he lets in at least 4 goals (even 7 goals), where he goes down early and gives up free goals when the opposition raises the puck.
Stick by Koskinen, he is the clear number one. He is allowed to have one bad game, two bad games. He is the starter.

The hockey media is incredibly biased, trying to pretend Cam Talbot is still good. Finding every reason to say Talbot is still good, then he lets in another bad goal. The media says both goalies are still good, not formally calling Koskinen the starter. What is the point of this? It is clear Talbot is playing at league worst, Koskinen is playing well. Treat the number one goalie Koskinen with respect.

If the Oilers miraculously make the playoffs, it will be because they play Koskinen more, and formally call him the number 1 goalie.
The Oilers had a good start under Hitch because of Koskie, give him the well deserved respect.

Sorry, Koski has not just had one bad game. He has started to struggle for a few games now. I will agree that he should be the starter going forward, but more because of Talbots shitty play than anything else.

And it wasn't the media that said they had two good goalies. It was the coach.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Koskinen wasn't as sharp but he's light years away from cam talbot. Talbot can't move past a goal. Koskinen will let in a goal and then make a ten bell save on the next shot

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Yup at this point hes still better then option B Talbot, gotta run with Koski for a few weeks here and see what we have.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It has turned midnight, folks. Koski is better than Talbot, but the results we are getting are the same. Start Talbot - loss. Start Koski - loss. Rinse and repeat. Not to worry though - coach said we have two really good goaltenders.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Oilers are getting outshot by 10+ shots per game.

Same thing is happening to Koskinen that happened to Talbot and countless goalies before him.

At a certain point your goalie is going to break when you give up the quality and volume of grade A chances the Oilers do.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Oilers are getting outshot by 10+ shots per game.

Same thing is happening to Koskinen that happened to Talbot and countless goalies before him.

At a certain point your goalie is going to break when you give up the quality and volume of grade A chances the Oilers do.

This is not a new thing either. I was noting the Oilers getting outshot badly towards the end of their win string. It was unsustainable on every level. A mirage. What people don't seem to realize is its easy to get eventually demoralized in such an environment, and easier to come in with bigger hopes starting out. This effect being as pronounced in goalies as any other position. Goalies are in the unfortunate position of having to witness all the carnage taking place in front of them. Koski in last 6GP has had one good game. That's somewhat interesting after his torrid start.

When any goalie starts to realize that results are unattainable natural fallback takes place.

Talbot is the one goalie since Roloson to drag this team to a playoff spot. The only one. Its always been interesting to me how quickly people here were willing to throw Talbot on the trash heap.

Lets see if Koskinen can ever drag this team into the playoffs. I think we're going to find out.

Conversely put Talbot on a team that is actually capable of something and I think his performance improves. On poor clubs goalies age quicker than anybody. They're the ones being pinned to the cross every night when things go south.

I guess a positive now is that we presently have two goalies here stomaching this club.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This is not a new thing either. I was noting the Oilers getting outshot badly towards the end of their win string. It was unsustainable on every level. A mirage. What people don't seem to realize is its easy to get eventually demoralized in such an environment, and easier to come in with bigger hopes starting out. This effect being as pronounced in goalies as any other position. Goalies are in the unfortunate position of having to witness all the carnage taking place in front of them. Koski in last 6GP has had one good game. That's somewhat interesting after his torrid start.

When any goalie starts to realize that results are unattainable natural fallback takes place.

Talbot is the one goalie since Roloson to drag this team to a playoff spot. The only one. Its always been interesting to me how quickly people here were willing to throw Talbot on the trash heap.

Lets see if Koskinen can ever drag this team into the playoffs. I think we're going to find out.

Conversely put Talbot on a team that is actually capable of something and I think his performance improves. On poor clubs goalies age quicker than anybody. They're the ones being pinned to the cross every night when things go south.

I guess a positive now is that we presently have two goalies here stomaching this club.

My God, I agree with this post. What the hell is happening?

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
It has turned midnight, folks. Koski is better than Talbot, but the results we are getting are the same. Start Talbot - loss. Start Koski - loss. Rinse and repeat. Not to worry though - coach said we have two really good goaltenders.

He should have said we have two absolute garbage goaltenders who couldn't stop a beach ball. That would have been a much better idea then trying to build them up with confidence.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My God, I agree with this post. What the hell is happening?

heh, lets turn the page on a new year. I've seen a couple posts you made today where we seem to be in agreement. Either you, or I, are out to lunch or we're both onto the obvious. Or that we're not discussing the Eskimos.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Our Goalies end up getting Shellshocked playing for the Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad