Player Discussion Korpisalo (5 years/20M)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Enough GMs might have cold feet in giving a backup goalie full time expectations.

But I think this is where Staios needs to be bold.
I wonder how he's looked in past seasons, 27 games isn't much of a sample, and goalies are prone to hot and cold streaks. Talbot was looking like a vezina candidate 27 games into the year, his next 27 games he looked very average.

Stolarz seems to have very little to go off of, quite the risky play to expect him to take you to the promised land. Good bet for a team that's got a solid plan b though.,

Reactions: Alex1234

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Enough GMs might have cold feet in giving a backup goalie full time expectations.

But I think this is where Staios needs to be bold.
Sure, there could be some risk, or even just “perceived risk”. You can’t point to a year where Stolarz had 45 - 50 starts. He’s only had 108 starts in 8 seasons.

But, I’m not sure that makes it a “hidden” situation. Maybe I’m putting too much emphasis and tripping over the word “hidden”. There just isn’t that much out there.

Having said that, there’s a lot of support for him here presumably as part of a 1a/1b tandem. I wonder how many games posters here think he would play?

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yes but Bob had 10 great games in a row before that.
10 great seasons 2 vezinas and I dont think any of those goals were his fault either.

Well, look on the brightside. Korpisalo is statistically very unlikely to be as bad as he was this past season and with the eye treatment happening, might he even be average?

Would be a huge gamble for Staios to go into next season with Korpisalo in net and focus on improving other areas, but might it work if the eye surgery goes well?
Id be ok with them signing Brossoit and sending down either Korpisalo or Forsberg. Chances are one of them gets hurt anyways. Running with 3 goalies worked in Detroit and Toronto last year.

One thing I know for sure Soogard is not ready he needs lots more coaching and reps. The way he over plays shots cant be coached out of him in the NHL.

Korpisalo's value cant get worse can it? They have to give him another shot I think. Forsberg is likely un tradeable without attaching a nice sweetener.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Think you could get Philly and Torterella to bite on Korpisalo? Torts hd Korpisalo for a few season in CLB and Korpisalo had some good / bad stats. Doubt it happens but you never know what teams can talk themselves into and if Chychryn is in the mix I wonder if there’s a bigger deal there for Couturier.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Think you could get Philly and Torterella to bite on Korpisalo? Torts hd Korpisalo for a few season in CLB and Korpisalo had some good / bad stats. Doubt it happens but you never know what teams can talk themselves into and if Chychryn is in the mix I wonder if there’s a bigger deal there for Couturier.
No.

For starters, any GM even if interested, would know he's a negative value contract and would still negotiate under that premise I would think.

Considering basically every year he was outperformed by his peer and played less games, it seemed more like he was always option B in CBJ no matter who the other tender was.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Good point
It will heavily depend on what Torts thought of Korpi.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Sure, there could be some risk, or even just “perceived risk”. You can’t point to a year where Stolarz had 45 - 50 starts. He’s only had 108 starts in 8 seasons.

But, I’m not sure that makes it a “hidden” situation. Maybe I’m putting too much emphasis and tripping over the word “hidden”. There just isn’t that much out there.

Having said that, there’s a lot of support for him here presumably as part of a 1a/1b tandem. I wonder how many games posters here think he would play?
Cannot be worst than Korpi
I mean it just cant

If the price is not too steep of course

Other than that what would be your plan to take care of the G situation here in Ottawa?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I mean it just cant

Other than that what would be your plan to take care of the G situation here in Ottawa?
It really doesn't matter if they are worse. It needs to be better, substantially so. No team will succeed with the performance the goalies gave last year, so if it goes lower it basically doesn't matter.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I guess maybe if they have bad contracts they can get rid of or if we pay enough. Maybe if we take on Ryan Johanson and give them a few late picks, but even then, they still don't have the capspace to take on Korpisalo.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I mean it just cant

The same plan as anyone else I suppose: Ullmark, Markstrom and god knows who else. I wasn’t making a criticism of going with someone like Stolarz or Brossoit btw. There isn’t much out there. That’s one of the reasons I was saying it would not be a “surprise” which was the point of my post.

I do think its possible that they will give the Korpse another shot. They haven’t much to lose. They could send him down, or just delay the ultimate decision.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It really doesn't matter if they are worse. It needs to be better, substantially so. No team will succeed with the performance the goalies gave last year, so if it goes lower it basically doesn't matter.
I think similar words could be used to describe the way the team played without the puck last season. Hopefully Green will make them play a solid 200 foot game when we do not have puck possession and hold them accountable for doing so.

Reactions: lancepitlick

lang006

Jan 2, 2020
Probably fair to say yup.
Yeah I hope it works out for our current goalies. They haven't inspired much confidence in recent seasons that is for certain. Its tough having mediocre at best to poor inconsistent goaltending options for multiple years. I'd even argue Soogard falls into this category as he has been inconsistent as far as the AHL goes from what I understand, He certainly has had a couple tough NHL games that he started in as well.....

Remember how streaky Anderson was in that he would have a really solid season, followed up by a poor season, at least by his established standards? Just going by memory and I admittedly didn't look up stats this time but that must have been the case for 5-6 years in that it became sort of a pattern with the team and Andy. I'd take that right now and hope our goalies can 'bounce back'. They won't and cant be perfect and I realize there's alot more factors at play. To me, however, (even after Jacques Martin "cleaned up" a few of the defensive miscues) it became quite alarming the amount of games our goalies had in which they gave up 3 or 4 goals in 10 shots or less to start out a period. Maybe that was a more common thing during the regular season as I simply don't track for other teams but it rarely happened in games in our favor. It sure felt like it happened against us quite regularly :_)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Both were a problem for a guy who never played more than 30(?) games and recently had double hip surgery.
Looked dorioncrazy from minute one.
To be fair, he played 39 the year before we signed him and the hip surgery was in 21-22 before he had that career year. The thought was his surgery fixed an issue that had been causing him issues, and he'd shown he'd recovered from it.

Term was definitely too long, but the dollars are on the low end for a starter, obviously it didn't work out, but had the bet won, 4m x 5 yrs for a legit starter would have been a team friendly deal.

Having said that, there were lots of red flags, but there also weren't a lot of viable options available. What to me was really disappointing was how bad Forsberg was, i guess coming off the double knee injury I should have expected as much but at 2.75 he needed to be much better too,

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
To be fair, he played 39 the year before we signed him and the hip surgery was in 21-22 before he had that career year. The thought was his surgery fixed an issue that had been causing him issues, and he'd shown he'd recovered from it.

Term was definitely too long, but the dollars are on the low end for a starter, obviously it didn't work out, but had the bet won, 4m x 5 yrs for a legit starter would have been a team friendly deal.

Having said that, there were lots of red flags, but there also weren't a lot of viable options available. What to me was really disappointing was how bad Forsberg was, i guess coming off the double knee injury I should have expected as much but at 2.75 he needed to be much better too,
The main point is….no one was going to give him that contract. Same with Macewen at 3 years
There was no reason to go all in like that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The main point is….no one was going to give him that contract. Same with Macewen at 3 years
There was no reason to go all in like that.
The question isn't whether someone else would give him that contract, it's what will it take for him to choose our offer over someone else's. We were desperate for a starter with Talbot deciding he'd rather not re-sign.

As for the MacEwen contact, it doesn't really have a downside, he's a good AHL player should we choose to send him down, and there are no cap implications if that happens. Had he worked out, it's literally a league min deal for an NHL player. The issue with MacEwen is we squeezed ourselves so tight to the cap that we couldn't afford to pay for the more expensive callup options in his place (and he wasn't great, but what are you expecting with a league min deal).

The Korpisalo deal was a bad one, I'm not sure we had any better options available though. I guess running with Forsberg as our starter would be better in hindsight but it would have felt a bit like writing off the season before it started at the time.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
That shit was lunacy. I didn't even like him being the guy we were rumored to be after let alone that awful, unjustifiable contract.

I think once he was signed, a lot tried to buy in to the positivity and the whole hip surgeries supposedly fixing him and his poor track record being because of injuries.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
The question isn't whether someone else would give him that contract, it's what will it take for him to choose our offer over someone else's. We were desperate for a starter with Talbot deciding he'd rather not re-sign.
We were desperate for a starter because Dorion wouldn't offer Talbot more than a one year deal. Talbot and his family had bought a house in Ottawa. He was *absolutely* willing to stay.

“There was zero to rent (in Ottawa) for a family of our size,” Talbot told me last fall. “So we ended up just buying, hoping that we’re going to be here in Ottawa for longer than the year."

The family plans were officially cancelled Monday when Senators' GM Pierre Dorion announced at his season-ending press conference that Talbot will not be re-signed for next season.

"Not that I want to get into details," Dorion said. "We offered him a one year deal in January. They wanted a two year deal. No progress was made... we were so far apart on AAV (average annual value), we knew."
I get that Cam had a bad year, and was turning 36 that July, but to let him walk because he wanted at least two years just to go out and commit to Korpi for five years was a *very* risky gamble.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $10,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00