Kopitar to attend Kings training camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I 100% agree with Matti and think that anyone expecting Tukonen to make the NHL is living a pipe dream. He has to do a ton, ton, ton of **** right and absolutely outplay almost everyone at this point. I just can't see it at all.

Old Hickory

Legionnaire said:
My hometown too! When KJ interviewed him, I think I had him ask the strangest interview question ever.
He still thinks you're crazy :)

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Scottkmlps said:
So from what you are saying is that if Crosby makes the Pens, which from all accounts is a given, the Pens forward depth is terrible?

Not saying the Kings' depth is terrible, but there is a difference between Lauri Tukonen and a guy who some see as the next great player, and many consider the best player outside of the NHL.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Bobby Ryan Getzlaf said:
Not saying the Kings' depth is terrible, but there is a difference between Lauri Tukonen and a guy who some see as the next great player, and many consider the best player outside of the NHL.
Just that it's Crosby isn't the big thing, the big thing is that Tukonen hasn't established himself on a higher senior level, OR in one of the best junior leagues in the world. Tukonen only has established himself in finnish junior league and the second tier of Finland.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
mattihp said:
Just that it's Crosby isn't the big thing, the big thing is that Tukonen hasn't established himself on a higher senior level, OR in one of the best junior leagues in the world. Tukonen only has established himself in finnish junior league and the second tier of Finland.

Has he dominated at a higher senior level? No. But he played in the Finnish Elite League all of last season, did he not? And the season before?

What's your definition of "establishing" himself?

And frankly, I don't think Tukonen has a chance to make the Kings roster this season... but I think your depiction that he's only good for playing in the junior leagues is way off.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
King'sPawn said:
Has he dominated at a higher senior level? No. But he played in the Finnish Elite League all of last season, did he not? And the season before?

What's your definition of "establishing" himself?

And frankly, I don't think Tukonen has a chance to make the Kings roster this season... but I think your depiction that he's only good for playing in the junior leagues is way off.
Establishing himself means playing good, and showing that he is worth the icetime. These two seasons has been more like he has gotten ice time to learn, not because he's deserved it.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
mattihp said:
Establishing himself means playing good, and showing that he is worth the icetime. These two seasons has been more like he has gotten ice time to learn, not because he's deserved it.

And he didn't even do anything with the ice time he did have.

At least that's what I've gotten the hint of from the Finnish posters around here.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Jon Prescription said:
And he didn't even do anything with the ice time he did have.

At least that's what I've gotten the hint of from the Finnish posters around here.
That's my view on it too. Much more was expected of him.

Senor Rational

Feb 11, 2004
St. Louis
mattihp said:
That's my view on it too. Much more was expected of him.

He did play in the Finnish elite league on the third and fourth lines. I have a tape of him (just one game of him).

So yes he did play and "establish" himself, but because of his age and expirence limit, he was put into a checking role with a very limited offensive side of it. He could handle all physical encounters and looked very stable on his feet. From the other tape ive seen him in he played very fluent hockey...as in he made nearly zero mistakes, forechecked hard and then went to the bench.

He could stand for some confidence with the puck as about 90% of the time he passed it to the nearest teammate.

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
from all reports, he was one of the best players on the ice in his first game at the prospect tourney...

Last edited:

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Pics of Kopitar from first day at training camp:
(ones in red jersey are from last week's rookie camp, black jersey from LA Kings camp Day One)

http://www.letsgokings.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=65

Some who attended said that Anze looked great today and were impressed with his shot. They said he has a rocket of a shot.

QUOTES from various attendees:

"Clarke-Kopitar-K.Belanger (I think) Man I'm really surprised Kopitar didn't do better at the rookie tourney, this kid is awesome. He scored some real nice goals on Garon and was setting up some real nice passes that resulted in even Belanger scoring a couple of nice goals. He didn't look like an 18 year old on the ice, and his energy, puck movement, and skating was truly impressive today"

"Anze is the real deal. He has great hands and extremely good in close"

"Kopitar has a nose for the puck for sure. He was able to get his stick on it regularly around the net and do something with it. He didn't look amazing, but he definitely was not out of place, even though he's only 18"

"Kopitar has an amazingly hard shot. It's just a heavy shot and he really rang one off the post"

"He plays like a 10-year vet, not an 18-year old"

"As far as skills, his skating (movement and speed) isn't outstanding but what I think are his strengths is his slap shot, willingness to crash the net and his offensive sense. He's clearly someone who wants to fill the goal and although it wasn't evident today, I'm guessing he plays big and won't get knocked off the puck. I was impressed"

"What about his balance and poise? Awesome huh?"

"Kopitar looks like he has a rocket. He took a couple shots that were just lazers and seemed to have really really good hands down low. His size is also impressive as he looks big. Who knows if he'll grow since he just turned 18"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad