Prospect Info: Konsta Helenius, RC, Jukurit (Liiga) - 14th Overall, 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
It's not unthinkable but highly unlikely. He could play but it would be in survival mode, not really conducive to his growth
We also have to worry about his wings if that was the plan we have Greenway for 3rd wing we would need a solid two way top six option for the other wing that could put up points so we don't give him the rhino and mitts treatment

RoyalOverNavy

Feb 25, 2023
I'm curious who you lot think the Sabres would have taken had the Flyers picked Konsta instead of Jett Luchanko.

I have to believe it would have been Brandsegg-Nygard, though I didn't follow the lead up to the draft closely. Did the Sabres give any public indication of liking the Michael B-N?

I ask because I follow the Flyers almost as closely as the Sabres. Not because I'm a fan. Quite the opposite. The Orange-and-Black slobs are what you would call my "local" team, so I see a plenty of their fans around town.

A lot of their faithful (easily a majority on fan sites) are in utter disbelief that they passed on Zeev Buium and Helenius (mostly Buium, TBH, though most of them thought Helenius was a far better option than Luchanko).

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm curious who you lot think the Sabres would have taken had the Flyers picked Konsta instead of Jett Luchanko.

I have to believe it would have been Brandsegg-Nygard, though I didn't follow the lead up to the draft closely. Did the Sabres give any public indication of liking the Michael B-N?

I ask because I follow the Flyers almost as closely as the Sabres. Not because I'm a fan. Quite the opposite. The Orange-and-Black slobs are what you would call my "local" team, so I see a plenty of their fans around town.

A lot of their faithful (easily a majority on fan sites) are in utter disbelief that they passed on Zeev Buium and Helenius (mostly Buium, TBH, though most of them thought Helenius was a far better option than Luchanko).

Based on comments from the team about wanting to mitigate risk with the pick and their shortage of righthanded shooting forwards, that sort of narrowed it down toward Helenius and MBN. Then there are the comments from the GM about getting harder to play against, getting more physically invested so that also pushes toward Brandsegg-Nygard.

From a casual haters perspective, I thought the Flyers had a poor draft experience over both days. And I'm here for it.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Any thought to him following coach Olli Jokinien to Timrå in the SHL?

It would be a step up in competition while still being comfortable in Europe and not crowding Roch.

Tappara sounds like the best Liiga situation possible, but I wouldn't mind getting him out of that league to avoid a third year in that style. His goal will be to dominate there but I could see some stagnant periods too.

Plus Jokinen seems to have been a suburb mentor for Konsta the past two years. Hard to imagine a better set up for a young Finnish center.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Any thought to him following coach Olli Jokinien to Timrå in the SHL?

It would be a step up in competition while still being comfortable in Europe and not crowding Roch.

Tappara sounds like the best Liiga situation possible, but I wouldn't mind getting him out of that league to avoid a third year in that style. His goal will be to dominate there but I could see some stagnant periods too.

Plus Jokinen seems to have been a suburb mentor for Konsta the past two years. Hard to imagine a better set up for a young Finnish center.
The issue then is going from smaller ice to Olympic size which isn't beneficial for reads and reactions. The uptick in competition is beneficial but it's not as physical of a league so I don't see it as being great for his development

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Based on comments from the team about wanting to mitigate risk with the pick and their shortage of righthanded shooting forwards, that sort of narrowed it down toward Helenius and MBN. Then there are the comments from the GM about getting harder to play against, getting more physically invested so that also pushes toward Brandsegg-Nygard.

From a casual haters perspective, I thought the Flyers had a poor draft experience over both days. And I'm here for it.
I wonder what briere is doing he isn't taking the opportunity to bide his time with a rebuild considering the age and position of the roster they got michkov that's about it and swapped cutter with Drysdale. They only have those guys as their a tier prospects. He must have an approach of build through trade and FA it could work I just don't think they have enough high end futures to build the way he wants.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wonder what briere is doing he isn't taking the opportunity to bide his time with a rebuild considering the age and position of the roster they got michkov that's about it and swapped cutter with Drysdale. They only have those guys as their a tier prospects. He must have an approach of build through trade and FA it could work I just don't think they have enough high end futures to build the way he wants.

He also has a lot of cooks in the kitchen with him, looking over his shoulder and second-guessing everything that he does. There are a lot of old flyers hanging around in special advisory capacities.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
He also has a lot of cooks in the kitchen with him, looking over his shoulder and second-guessing everything that he does. There are a lot of old flyers hanging around in special advisory capacities.
Makes sense then those guys want to always win and compete it's admirable but usually leads to teams middling between missing the playoffs to getting bounced in the first two rounds much like Minnesota for years but they got michkov and the dcore of the future if unspectacular still looks decent.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
JETTTTTTT LUCHANKOOOOOOOO (I'll never not say his name in the Michael Buffer voice now, ideally as he ends up a bust). Now that I think about it, KONSTAAA HELLLLLLLENIUSSS is a great Buffer name too.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Faceboner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad