Prospect Info: Konsta Helenius, RC, Jukurit (Liiga) - 14th Overall, 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Yeah, he can play in the AHL. I think Finland is the smarter choice for now if he doesn't make the NHL. Things are working out there in a good league, why risk screwing up development?
If he was playing on the same team in Finland I'd agree, but he's switching teams, so continuity is already broken. I say bring him over and add him to the mix in Rochester and let him compete for a spot while working on his game.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
If he was playing on the same team in Finland I'd agree, but he's switching teams, so continuity is already broken. I say bring him over and add him to the mix in Rochester and let him compete for a spot while working on his game.
Continuity is broken, but luckily the team he's going to is actually his hometown team, and plays the type of North American skate skate skate style of hockey. I think that side of switching teams is good, he's used to skating the whole shift and the coach he will have, has a North American mindset on hockey. So that's actually a really good thing, couldn't think of a better team for him to develop if it's in Finland.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Continuity is broken, but luckily the team he's going to is actually his hometown team, and plays the type of North American skate skate skate style of hockey. I think that side of switching teams is good, he's used to skating the whole shift and the coach he will have, has a North American mindset on hockey. So that's actually a really good thing, couldn't think of a better team for him to develop if it's in Finland.

I'm of a similar mind. I think he should stay in the Liiga for this year and if Rochester manages to pull itself together to make the playoffs, he might be available for the AHL playoff run next spring after a long playoff run in Liiga. There is no reason to push him into the AHL early.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I'm of a similar mind. I think he should stay in the Liiga for this year and if Rochester manages to pull itself together to make the playoffs, he might be available for the AHL playoff run next spring after a long playoff run in Liiga. There is no reason to push him into the AHL early.
I think the reason to stay in liiga would be to develop his offense.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think the reason to stay in liiga would be to develop his offense.

Yep, work on his shot, work more on his offensive game, his burst. Everyone is in such a rush to get players into a league for grown men when they aren't grown yet. Not a fan of that, especially when so many of their guys have gotten dummied since they have very little AHL-level toughness.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Drafting is in absolutely no way the reason we haven’t made the playoffs in five years.
Depends how you look at it. I’d say drafting 30 players in 3 years instead of using picks for NHL improvements plays a pretty decent sized part in it.

Anyway…as it stands now at this moment Helenius is the best 3C option in this organization this season. That’s not hyperbole. It’s a sad telling reality

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I think you have a great player in Helenius. Could be playing the NHL as soon as the upcoming year already. Not sure if that is the best case for him, but time will tell. If he's ready at camp, why the heck not? Obviously the safer route would be playing in Finland one more year.

And for the record, it's Hele-nius. Source? West coast Finland for the last 27 years.
Damn. The first time I read his name I read it as: Hell-a-knee-us. Now it's going to take a lot of time to get that out of my brain.

And yes, it is important to me to pronounce names correctly.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Yep, work on his shot, work more on his offensive game, his burst. Everyone is in such a rush to get players into a league for grown men when they aren't grown yet. Not a fan of that, especially when so many of their guys have gotten dummied since they have very little AHL-level toughness.
He's already in a league for grown men and has been for 2 years. People who know him best say he's ready sooner than later. I don't see the harm in bringing him over, getting him acclimated, and allowing our organization who has a good track record for developing young players to work with him.

The only valid reason not to bring him over, IMO, is playing time. He'd have to compete with the likes of Kulich, Savoie, Rosen, Ostlund, Wahlberg for PP and even strength minutes. I don't see competition as a bad thing, personally, considering that it's going to be VERY difficult for any of these guys to earn a spot on the roster over the next few years, but I can at least see the potential for not enough playing time as an argument not to force it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He's already in a league for grown men and has been for 2 years. People who know him best say he's ready sooner than later. I don't see the harm in bringing him over, getting him acclimated, and allowing our organization who has a good track record for developing young players to work with him.

The only valid reason not to bring him over, IMO, is playing time. He'd have to compete with the likes of Kulich, Savoie, Rosen, Ostlund, Wahlberg for PP and even strength minutes. I don't see competition as a bad thing, personally, considering that it's going to be VERY difficult for any of these guys to earn a spot on the roster over the next few years, but I can at least see the potential for not enough playing time as an argument not to force it.

That is exactly the reason. There is no reason to try to shoehorn yet another player into trying to get touches in all situations in the AHL this year. Deal some of the others, free up those cycles would push that for me but right now? No. I expect they will sign him and do it because it's how they've been operating.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
That is exactly the reason. There is no reason to try to shoehorn yet another player into trying to get touches in all situations in the AHL this year. Deal some of the others, free up those cycles would push that for me but right now? No. I expect they will sign him and do it because it's how they've been operating.

There are reasons to do that though. I stated several.

1) he's close
2) he gets acclimated to NA
3) gets to compete for ice time
4) gets hands on development from the team

Ultimately, the team, the player, and his people know what's best for him and I'll support their decision.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Another reason not to bring him over is that we seem to be running out of space on the Amerks lol. I guess you kind of elude to that but there’s only room for 2 or 3 centers to get top minutes and we already have a ton.

Reactions: ceky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad