Prospect Info: Konsta Helenius, RC, Jukurit (Liiga) - 14th Overall, 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Another Black Book blurb -

Determining off the puck support is critical in evaluating a center's ability to translate from their draft season and in to the NHL. One of the major reasons why is due to the significance that puck support can have when determining a centers ability to control the middle portion of the ice for his team, and that’s Helenius’s bread and butter. His anticipation generates calculated positioning that keeps him above the puck on most sequences and it’s led to continuous zone exits in each viewing. This gives him the natural tendency to be a third defenseman when his team needs him to be. A lot of young forwards are in a hurry to join an attack and generally over step their offensive limits in an effort to try and make something happen while exiting the zone, but Konsta is seemingly always in control, rarely putting himself out of position, that’s complemented by his defensive awareness, when determining why he’s above the puck as frequently as he is.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Also from BB:

Although he’s not a large center, he plays bigger than his size and comes with a natural strength that’s surprising. Towards the playoffs in Liiga, the games demanded more physicality and speed out of him, yet he took shifts over as opposed to getting drowned out. In-fact, we would label Helenius as one of the more difficult players to play against. He routinely cross checks players out of their position, and has a gritty, determined side to his game that’s complimentary to the rest of his skill-set. There’s a fall back approach to his play style, and he refuses to be intimidated when matching up against much larger players than himself.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I mean maybe a little bit?

In reality, the team that wants one of what we have wants them because they need them, and that's what will drive the value imo. Seems like kind of oversimple logic and Adams hasn't flinched yet [ducks].
Not sure about that given the value that ARZ wanted for Chry from us & what he actually got traded for

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Eh, that's anecdotal as far as I'm concerned. That was a weird negotiation with a weird org for a weird player.

Like I said there's probably a little impact, but not enough to move the needle for me.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
I could see Helenius being a checking center. I don't see either Kulich or Savoie as successful NHL checking centers.

I don't think they look at him there.
I think with his playmaking ability he would work well with kulich as a 3rd line duo maybe but we have potential top 9 setup rather than traditional top 6 bottom 6

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think with his playmaking ability he would work well with kulich as a 3rd line duo maybe but we have potential top 9 setup rather than traditional top 6 bottom 6

In terms of role, I'm curious how they proceed. They tried having three offensive lines and a d-zone line for a while but without as much success. Perhaps they go with a more traditional setup, but

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I like this pick, its who I would have took if we drafted and couldn't work a trade.

I am just looking 3 years down the road and seeing an absolute log jam. Adams has not shown yet to be willing to part with ANY prospects. Bloom is about it.

Because he didn't draft Bloom

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
In terms of role, I'm curious how they proceed. They tried having three offensive lines and a d-zone line for a while but without as much success. Perhaps they go with a more traditional setup, but
It's hard to gauge what to expect with Ruff so far. If he's thinking of a third-line that is entirely about shutting down the top-line of the opponent, I am all ears. Ostlund would be the center of that line ideally.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad