Knights fans displeased with how the team has handled its star players

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Its not like hes left without a job..... I dont side with either, but if your team is still offering you a fair deal, and you choose not to accept because of the "structure", I mean thats a choice you made. Hes rich no matter what!..... Then he goes to a low tax state instead, and "complains" that he wasnt treated well....

insert world's smallest violin gif

Again, no tears are spilled. But the "it's a business deal with it" attitude is quite toxic, especially when we apply this logic across the board. Everyone wants to feel included and appreciated in their workplace, and not just make money.

Reactions: amnesiac

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Vegas fans should be thrilled their Front Office is savvy enough to not waste cap space on 35+ contracts.

Not exactly the same situation but the Brent Seabrook signing torpedoed the Hawks dynasty right to the bottom of the ocean. He was given a loyalty/legacy contract for his tremendous work in winning those Cups. Yeah it's great that a core piece got to stick around but ultimately you spend many of those years lamenting that contract and it detracts a bit from their legacy because it's stopping you from winning.

It would've been much more prudent of our FO to recognize "Hey this guy is entering his 30's and his level of play is not going to be matching his cap hit basically immediately after the contract kicks in. We're trying to win more Cups and the efficient use of cap space is priority #1"

Kudos to the Vegas GM for making a tough decision and I doubt outside of a few meatheads on Facebook/Reditt, that Vegas fans are actually majorly upset about it.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I don’t want to hear about Vegas fans being upset about anything for at least another 50 years. Handed immediate success with no suffering. Win a cup already. Team bullshits injury timelines to cheat the cap. Oh…your feelings were hurt? Keep it to yourself
its going to be fun watching them at the bottom on the standing while they walk the desert for 10+ years.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
You won a cup while your franchise was still in diapers while Buffalo, Vancouver and San Jose all still have yet to win one. Go away

• Haha
Reactions: WhataKnight

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
A player is not entitled to a “fair contract offer” or any offer at all. If the team decides to move on it is entitled to do that. Just like a player can decide to move on. Neither party is obligated to negotiate at all. It is a business, and a very successful one at that, and that is the only reason why they make insane amounts of money for their services.

Unconscionable? That is such a massive exaggeration it is downright sad.
I agree 100% with you, but can you go post that in the Rutger McGroarty thread? Some people believe that only the players (employee):have to be loyal but the team (employer) doesn't have to be.

Reactions: thrillhous

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I agree 100% with you, but can you go post that in the Rutger McGroarty thread? Some people believe that only the players (employee):have to be loyal but the team (employer) doesn't have to be.

Pretty much how fans are. As much adulation as they may pour onto their favorites, even the most beloved of players becomes a "bum" or "dead weight" to them when things go the other way. Note that there's a term "hometown discount" that is frequently put forward by fans ... but they never push for "retirement contracts" for guys who have given their all for years, sometimes at those hometown discount rates.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
You won a cup while your franchise was still in diapers while Buffalo, Vancouver and San Jose all still have yet to win one. Go away

“Dear AI, make me an image of a bouquet of sad trombones.”

Knights fans have nothing to do with those other franchises. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

HitterD

Apr 25, 2022
Calgary
Wish the Rangers would be more like the VGK

Blind loyalty has hamstrung the team for a long time
I think pretty much every NHL is guilty of this, and I agree, it has cost my team (Flames) multiple times, recently too.

I think Vegas (and Seattle) have an opportunity to shape the way they do business because they got a clean fresh start as a franchise. If Vegas sticks to their guns and becomes known as a team loyal to no player, it will serve them well IMO as long as everyone involved knows where they stand.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I think if they had no intention to bring him back they should have been little more proactive in a Plan B come free agency instead of doing nothing.

Unless they're starting to realize they can't just go for it every year.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Vegas operates like an NFL team. Ruthless, only results matter, when you are no longer of value, no matter how beloved, you're gone. There is no loyalty to a single player. there is loyalty to winning and creating a winning program that has sustained success. It's tough but it gets results.

Don't get emotionally attached if you're playing in Vegas. They're playing to win, not make friends. If more teams operated this way, players wouldn't be bullying their GMs and holding teams hostage.

Not saying I agree with or disagree with it, but if you look at it without getting emotionally involved, they are doing what they believe is best for the teams success going forward. Sucks for the player, it's a ruthless approach but it gets them results. That same ruthless attitude is what got them their cup win, so not sure the fans should really be that mad about it.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
this is my reaction as well. With vegas, is you look over their very brief history, it is all about winning and they care little about loyalty. They have a plan and are sticking to it.
Exactly. Bitch and moan, Vegas has played the current collective bargaining perfectly. Players have plenty of options in today's NHL, and so do GMs. Its a business. The market will correct by players refusing them, if there really is a problem here. Let it play out. Until then, good job Vegas.

And I'll assume Vegas will be fine as long as they keep at winning; there are plenty of single players that'll want to win and staying in the great 'temp' city in North America isnt a detriment.

Edit: If Im a single professional athlete and 25, a city that just imports hot women consistently and is always warm sounds so awful. Wait. It sounds great.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
I'll admit that I was a little surprised that they let him go considering he seemed like that type of player who stays with a team his whole career. However, I get the logistics for Vegas' management team. Jonathan is getting older.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It’s like a girl wanting to date the bad boy. All exciting. Seen what has happened to all his exes but it won’t happen to you til it does.
In case you don't get it, that's the point. That happening to the guy's exes is the whole reason the girls want to date him. Do you think that girls want a stable and safe relationship? Sorry, but they don't. Why? Because it's boring. They want the tension that comes with knowing the guy could leave them at any moment.

But, "nice guys" will never understand this.

And yeah, it's not related to this incident but comments like these are so unaware.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Everything’s fake in Vegas.

Including loyalty I see….

The way they are run, they are loyal to putting the best team on the ice that they can. It's very clearly not about who the players are, it's about winning. If that's chapping some asses... 🤷‍♂️ Ownership and management are ruthless in pursuit of winning. More teams should try it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad