Knights fans displeased with how the team has handled its star players

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I mean the dude literally won a Conn Smythe trophy 12 months ago and just scored 40 goals for them this season, lol.

Yes, but is 34 in December & Vegas is all about extending their advantages to be competitive every year, not for a window.

They could and should communicate better, but I can't blame them at all for not wanting to be near what Nashville gave him. He'll be a non-NHL player by the end of that contract in all likelihood.

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
Yes, but is 34 in December & Vegas is all about extending their advantages to be competitive every year, not for a window.

They could and should communicate better, but I can't blame them at all for not wanting to be near what Nashville gave him. He'll be a non-NHL player by the end of that contract in all likelihood.
Funny thing is, according to Marchy we offered the same as Nashville, just structured differently

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
BOO-freakin-HOO

we feel so bad for you, Jon, that you CHOSE to move you and your family from one mansion to another to save thousands of dollars

its a business, deal with it

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
BOO-freakin-HOO

we feel so bad for you, Jon, that you CHOSE to move you and your family from one mansion to another to save thousands of dollars

I mean he did say it is a business right in his quote. In business how you treat employees is part of business too (any business, not just pro sports). If you treat your top workers like crap, the word gets out sooner or later.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
I mean he did say it is a business right in his quote. In business how you treat employees is part of business too (any business, not just pro sports). If you treat your top workers like crap, the word gets out sooner or later.
They paid him millions of dollars for a number of years...how is that treating him like crap. I'd love to be treated like crap if that's your definition :laugh:

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
They've only been here for however many years and have treated their players as all disposable the entire time...but also won a Cup going ham every year. Id rather have that than mediocrity.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They paid him millions of dollars for a number of years...how is that treating him like crap. I'd love to be treated like crap if that's your definition :laugh:

In pro sports (any one, pick basketball or NFL football or whatever) generally you treat players who play a big role in winning you the championship a little better than that.

Either way, it's not like I give a crap, losing Marchessault makes Vegas weaker without question. He's a heart and soul guy who's a big time performer in the playoffs and that's 40 goals walking off their lineup.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
In pro sports (any one, pick basketball or NFL football or whatever) generally you treat players who play a big role in winning you the championship a little better than that.

Either way, it's not like I give a crap, losing Marchessault makes Vegas weaker without question. He's a heart and soul guy who's a big time performer in the playoffs and that's 40 goals walking off their lineup.
I just don't think they owe him a damn thing. He didn't like their offer, that's fine and it should be left at that. Whining about it after the fact is just not a good look. If he's a professional, he should act like one.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I just don't think they owe him a damn thing. He didn't like their offer, that's fine and it should be left at that. Whining about it after the fact is just not a good look. If he's a professional, he should act like one.

He has a right to speak his mind, pro sports organizations aren't a government agency where you can't ever say anything. It's a business sure, and in business if you treat top employees like shit they do have a tendancy to go talk.

So for people who want to huff and puff about "it's a bizzzneeezzz!", well this is part of business too, ain't nobody paying 10 cents to watch front office people play hockey on ice, the players are the one who make the product worth anything.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
He has a right to speak his mind, pro sports organizations aren't a government agency where you can't ever say anything. It's a business sure, and in business if you treat top employees like shit they do have a tendancy to go talk.

So for people who want to huff and puff about "it's a bizzzneeezzz!", well this is part of business too, ain't nobody paying 10 cents to watch front office people play hockey on ice, the players are the one who make the product worth anything.
He can whine all he wants, and we can all point and laugh at the poor millionaire crying that he wasn't offered enough millions to want to stay in las vegas of all places :laugh:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He can whine all he wants, and we can all point and laugh at the poor millionaire crying that he wasn't offered enough millions to want to stay in las vegas of all places :laugh:

The fans opinion is largely irrelevant. Other players will see this, with MAF OK it was a one off thing maybe you could shrug off, but when this keeps happening, an organization does develop a reputation.

I mean look at basketball, the Lakers are the gold standard for "franchise prestige" in North American pro sports, and they've been run like a gong show the last few years, now they can't get even top college coaches to accept their job offers and UFAs like Klay Thompson are looking at them and say "yeah ... nope".

Players take notice of how an organization runs itself after a while.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
This is on the Hockey Empire page.

View attachment 892099

More on TSN.ca

I think fans have the right to be upset. This is how you treat your star players after they help your franchise win? Especially since Marchessault wanted to stay.
I don't know what Hockey Empire is, maybe it's op just pumping his own site?

That is an absolutely atrocious piece of writing though; not from a content perspective but from an English language perspective. If it wasn't AI, whoever shit that out needs to go back to school.

Demigod11

Jun 28, 2021
No tax teams don’t give a f***. They know their huge advantage over other teams in the League needs to be maximized. So franchise stars like Marchy and Stammer can go f*** themselves.
To be fair Stammer was drafted by the Lightning? Should he have fled to browner pastures as soon as he could? Lol

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
I don't see this as an issue, when a player leaves a team for free agency no one cares but when a team decides to move on from players its an issue? Good on Vegas I like how they operate f*** the future and win now, I'd rather the Sens do this approach than be stuck in a rebuild year after year with no hope. More teams need to operate like this, do what ever it takes to win

Reactions: I am not exposed

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Vegas shouldn't re-sign a veteran like Marchessault for sentimental reasons, it has to make sense.

They have won a cup and are now trying to get younger to extend their window.

Personally as a closet Vegas fan I think they should have re-signed him just because the contract he received from Nashville was reasonable and the Knights still need scoring help.

This is the first offseason in awhile I've been disappointed in Vegas' moves. Should have kept Thompson if the best offer was two 3rds and instead traded Howden + one of their D (McNabb ideally) to make room for Korczak and clear some cap for Marchessault.

McNabb and Howden gone + Thompson kept over signing Samsonov would have opened up about 5M in cap space, which would have been enough to re-sign Marchessault.

Reactions: hangman005

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
A player is not entitled to a “fair contract offer” or any offer at all. If the team decides to move on it is entitled to do that. Just like a player can decide to move on. Neither party is obligated to negotiate at all. It is a business, and a very successful one at that, and that is the only reason why they make insane amounts of money for their services.

I love all the folks here with monopoly money in ther bank accounts playing pretend CEO.

None of these nerds ran even a mile in their lives, let alone a business.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
1720110379380.png

Yeah Marchy was so busted up over it he waited... nevermind.

• Haha
Reactions: tfwnogf

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
BOO-freakin-HOO

I get that no one among players v. owners is marginalized in any real way, so no tears need to be spilled, but it's kind of funny that you choose to take this attitude toward a player, while being on the side of the owner ("it's a businiess, deal with it") who is way, way richer.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I get that no one among players v. owners is marginalized in any real way, so no tears need to be spilled, but it's kind of funny that you choose to take this attitude toward a player, while being on the side of the owner ("it's a businiess, deal with it") who is way, way richer.
Its not like hes left without a job..... I dont side with either, but if your team is still offering you a fair deal, and you choose not to accept because of the "structure", I mean thats a choice you made. Hes rich no matter what!..... Then he goes to a low tax state instead, and "complains" that he wasnt treated well....

insert world's smallest violin gif

Reactions: tfwnogf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad