Knights fans displeased with how the team has handled its star players

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
This is on the Hockey Empire page.

1000000117.jpg

More on TSN.ca

“I talked to George and Kelly, and I was telling them I liked the whole situation, how it’s going and how I see the organization,” Marchessault said Wednesday, referring to Golden Knights president George McPhee and general manager Kelly McCrimmon.

“And they just didn’t believe in me for the remainder of my career, I guess, So it was a little disappointment,” he said, before adding he doesn’t bear any grudges. “Hopefully, it pays off for them in the long run, because I know they want to win right now. So it’s going to be intriguing to see, and only the future’s going to tell us who was right.”

I think fans have the right to be upset. This is how you treat your star players after they help your franchise win? Especially since Marchessault wanted to stay.

Last edited:

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Multiple things can be true at once.

I’m not abandoning my team, but am I pissed? Sure. And I have a right to be. Just as much as Bolts fans for Brisebois’ handling of Stamkos.

Schadenfreude, sympathy, and shit-posting all go to the same place. I’ll back my team, wait for various heads to roll and stick through it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
A player is not entitled to a “fair contract offer” or any offer at all. If the team decides to move on it is entitled to do that. Just like a player can decide to move on. Neither party is obligated to negotiate at all. It is a business, and a very successful one at that, and that is the only reason why they make insane amounts of money for their services.

Unconscionable? That is such a massive exaggeration it is downright sad.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
If you read a Vegas newspaper with excerpts from McCrimmons press conference or just watched the press conference on July 1 it’s much more tactful to the players that left as free agents. Fairly misleading post.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Marchessault has already contradicted himself within days. He said Vegas didn't even make a real offer to keep him, then he said Vegas offered him the same money as Nashville but there was more deferred money so it was a disagreement of structure.

He also left a glowing post that thanked everyone including management and coaches.

McCrimmon said Marchessault was the only free agent they talked to like five times since the end of last year and was clearly their priority, and that on the night before the draft it seemed like they would get a deal done and then the day of the draft that changed.

Vegas gave him a competitive offer by his own admission (after claiming the opposite) and in McCrimmon's opinion.

He just wanted it structured the way he wanted it structured, that's fine and it's his right. But Vegas management didn't do anything wrong by him.

Last edited:

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Marchessault has already contradicted himself within days. He said Vegas didn't even make a real offer to keep him, then he said Vegas offered him the same money as Nashville but there was more deferred money so it was a disagreement of structure.

He also left a glowing post that thanked everyone including management and coaches.

McCrimmon said Marchessault was the only free agent they talked to like five times since the end of last year and was clearly their priority, and that on the night before the draft it seemed like they would get a deal done and then the day of the draft that changed.

Vegas gave him a competitive offer by his own admission (after claiming the opposite) and in McCrimmon's opinion.

He just wanted it structured the way he wanted it structured, that's fine and it's his right. But Vegas management didn't do anything wrong by him.

Sidenote - and a necessary one.

Funny how the major assumptive narratives about how Vegas handled these things with both Fleury and Marchessault kinda “die in the light.”

Disclaimer: this isn’t to flex back on Marchessault as much as narratives….

However - if one researches the move away from Fleury, one sees how his agent (Allan Walsh) was salting the earth. After the potential of a trade was communicated, the expectation of a retirement announcement came from Fleury’s camp, done for the sake of decreasing trade value. And it worked.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
A player is not entitled to a “fair contract offer” or any offer at all. If the team decides to move on it is entitled to do that. Just like a player can decide to move on. Neither party is obligated to negotiate at all. It is a business, and a very successful one at that, and that is the only reason why they make insane amounts of money for their services.

Unconscionable? That is such a massive exaggeration it is downright sad.
This is true, but at the same time, large portions of hockey fan bases get upset at players when they don't give a hometown discount, or leave the team over a small difference in money.

Loyalty is a two way street.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Live in Vegas and very active in the Knights scene. Fans aren’t angry about this lol. Sure it’s sad to see a franchise icon go, but nobody is readying the torches and pitchforks. We are used to players coming and going quite often and quickly here. Old players get shipped out here and March wouldn’t be a good fit with how old he is and how much money and especially term we’d have to give him.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
VGK dont owe him anything.

He was paid for services rendered until his contract expired.

Its great that you played well and represented the team well.

That’s what the money is for!

Eh I don't agree. If someone busts their ass for you and brings you a Cup and is a Conn Smythe trophy winner just a season ago, you owe it to them to treat them with a higher level of respect than some random cap casualty to be kicked to the curb. We're not talking about like 2-3 years ago even here, dude was the Conn Smythe trophy winner 12 freaking months ago, lol.

Other players around the league are going to start to take notice of this stuff, it was one thing when it was MAF but now it's piling up.

Last edited:

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
No tax teams don’t give a f***. They know their huge advantage over other teams in the League needs to be maximized. So franchise stars like Marchy and Stammer can go f*** themselves.
Exactly this. Vegas has 0 reason to sign an aging player to a contract that will be bad at the end. They're a top 5 destination for players and management knows it. Sucks for the fans but they are fully committed to winning at any cost.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Live in Vegas and very active in the Knights scene. Fans aren’t angry about this lol. Sure it’s sad to see a franchise icon go, but nobody is readying the torches and pitchforks. We are used to players coming and going quite often and quickly here. Old players get shipped out here and March wouldn’t be a good fit with how old he is and how much money and especially term we’d have to give him.

I don’t know how everybody hasn’t caught on to this yet. Vegas has a long and storied history of moves like this over their… checks notes… six off-seasons. Fans of a team like Vegas grow thick skin to these sort of moves when homegrown talent like Cody Glass, Peyton Krebs, Paul Cotter, and Jake Leschyshyn inevitably get shipped out. It could be tough when you’ve watched these players suit up for The Vee Gee Kay for whole parts of seasons and then they’re just gone. And consider Fleury, and how it must feel to watch him play for another organization after he spent almost 20% of his 20 year career in Vegas. Ponder still, the average Vegas first grader has never known a world where the Knights aren’t dueling on ice in full armor during pregame or shipping out beloved players. Coming to terms with these unpleasantries, as those first graders can attest to, is just part being a lifelong fan.

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad