Speculation: Klingberg or Kadri ?

Who would you sign?

• C - Nazem Kadri, 7-8M

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • RD - John Klingberg 6-7M

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Somebody else, lesser player for cheaper.

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Nobody. Team is ready for a season.

Votes: 55 49.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
These are two biggest names and best players available on free agency.

Red Wings have +8 Million in cap space, after Zadina will sign. Then all current players are signed.

Which one would you sign, or would you sign either of them at all ?

Would you sign somebody else?

Scottgaf1

Nov 11, 2020
Kadri would be a great fit here. If he's willing to take big money short term, it makes sense.

Klingberg is in a similar category. Adding Kadri 's speed and grit would be great.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Klinberg is two years younger. Also, Kadri is always one big hit away from a VERY long suspension. An eight year contract is too risky with him. Plus, how much of his 2022 numbers were inflated from playing with a stacked roster? Klinberg seems more consistent throughout his career.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Voted nobody.
Obviously, things would be different if it was possible to get the on 1-2 year deals, but that's not realistic to expect

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
It's exciting to fantasize about signing all these big name free agents but truthfully, would probably hurt our rebuild more than anything to sign either one (unless Klingberg means Hronek traded).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'd sign both if they signed for 3 years max.

Think you can't fit BOTH of them on the cap anymore, anyhow.

Kadri would be a great fit here. If he's willing to take big money short term, it makes sense.

Klingberg is in a similar category. Adding Kadri 's speed and grit would be great.

I've joked about having Team White and Tem Red at Training camp as Team Perron vs. Team Kadri. :D

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Klingberg between 6.5 to 7 mil for 3 seasons.

If he does alright, re-sign him for 4.8 to 5 mil for 4 more years. I think that's a good way to manage his cap hit when we need more space. And he still makes about the same amount of money as he would on a 7 year deal.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I think it's most likely nobody, with a tiny chance of signing someone cheaper. But the defense has been such a shitshow I wouldn't be opposed to Klingberg.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
At this point we need evaluate what we've got before we have a bigger move

I agree to a point, but I'm still not sold on Hronek and Bertuzzi being around long term.

Next year the big UFA defenseman are Matt Dumba, Dmitri Orlov, Travis Sanheim, Shayne Gostisbehere, Damon Severson, Mackenzie Weegar, and Ryan Graves.

I don't consider any of them better than Klingberg but Dumba, Weegar, Graves and probably Severson are all clear RD upgrades on Hronek. So I suppose it's not the end of the world if Detroit trades Hronek and signs one of these guys in the 23 offseason.

Now on W we have the following big names as free agents...
JVR, Max Pacioretty, Timo Meier, Jonathan Huberdeau, Patrick Kane, Vladimir Tarasenko, Pastrnak coming available.

JVR and Pacioretty would be older and about on par with what Bertuzzi brings. Meier is a clear upgrade in my opinion. Huberdeau or Pastrnak would be the best case scenarios for Detroit. Tarasenko has wanted out of St. Louis for a while and has injury concerns. And I really don't like Patrick Kane but can't deny he's a good player still.

If Detroit traded expiring contract Bertuzzi for expiring contract Meier and Hronek for futures to a team like Buffalo, Arizona or Seattle then signed one of Ryan Graves or Mackenzie Weegar? I think that Detroit would have a better team than they have today.

Reactions: lilidk

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
NazemKadri_2022.jpeg

These 3-year weighted averages will build more clearer picture, than one lucky high-scoring season.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I already have enough complains about our defense, don't need more.

On a serious note, Klingberg is an upgrade on Hronek in every area. He had a down year but is still a better defenseman both offensively AND defensively than Hronek. He's a better skater. Better passer and puck mover. Better PPQB. And better shot.

They are both offensively inclined defensemen with their own shortcomings but in the right circumstances, in a system that doesn't suppress offensive creativity like the one Dallas had under Bowness, Klingberg will shine. Plus he's another Frolunda guy. We like Frolunda guys.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
On a serious note, Klingberg is an upgrade on Hronek in every area. He had a down year but is still a better defenseman both offensively AND defensively than Hronek. He's a better skater. Better passer and puck mover. Better PPQB. And better shot.

They are both offensively inclined defensemen with their own shortcomings but in the right circumstances, in a system that doesn't suppress offensive creativity like the one Dallas had under Bowness, Klingberg will shine. Plus he's another Frolunda guy. We like Frolunda guys.

The thing is I don't expect Hronek to be a long term plan if the likes of Seider, Edvinsson, etc take it to the next level. Also Klingberg will probably want 6+ million, which is understandable given the market, but I'm not sure I'm willing to invest that kind of money to that kind of defenseman. At least Hronek is cheaper for the time being and his contract will be up in two years.

Reactions: OneMoreTry

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The thing is I don't expect Hronek to be a long term plan if the likes of Seider, Edvinsson, etc take it to the next level. Also Klingberg will probably want 6+ million, which is understandable given the market, but I'm not sure I'm willing to invest that kind of money to that kind of defenseman. At least Hronek is cheaper for the time being and his contract will be up in two years.
JohnKlingberg_2022.jpeg
FilipHronek_2022.jpeg

It's really interesting they are ranked equally.

Don't this JFresh tool is the best at ranking defencemen, there are some variables missing, which are important for defencemen. I find as a great tool, when ranking forwards. But at least it will put something on perspective.

But if Hronek is 49% guy at CRAP team, which Wings have been, and Klingberg is 49% guy at somewhat decent Dallas playoff-level team, which even reached the finals...

Could there be something more in Hronek, if Red wings will turn to contender. And Klingberg would be the exact opposite?

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
View attachment 573406View attachment 573407

It's really interesting they are ranked equally.

Don't thi s JFresh tool is best at ranking defencemen, there are some variables missing, which are important for defencemen. I find as a great tool, when ranking forwards.

But if Hronek is 49% guy at CRAP team, which Wings have been, and Klingberg is 49% guy at somewhat decent Dallas playoff-level team, which even reached the finals...

Could there be something more in Hronek, if Red wings will turn to contender. And Klingberg would be the exact opposite?
At least Hronek tries to play Defense, and much cheaper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad