Kitchener Rangers 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I am all for having a fourth OA as a goalie. I can’t see it starting this year as teams have already planned their rosters and it wouldn’t be fair to change this rule just before the season starts. But starting next year I am all for it.

An example would be that Malboeuf could have landed a spot somewhere this year. He could have been an insurance policy / veteran presence for some team.

Plus Canada has been terrible at developing goalie over the last 15 years or so. Give goalies one more year of development.

If the league is changing the rule regarding trading of first year imports prior to the start of the season, why not change a rule regarding OA goalies.

RB76

Aug 22, 2023
Regarding the impending NCAA eligibility rules changes, IMO the CHL could benefit by reducing the nos of overages allowed. No need to see 20yr olds running a 16yr old before they get a chance to develop.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Regarding the impending NCAA eligibility rules changes, IMO the CHL could benefit by reducing the nos of overages allowed. No need to see 20yr olds running a 16yr old before they get a chance to develop.

depends, why limit yourself, teams can still have the option of only going limited overages if they want better 16 year olds.

Ref Hannah

Jul 19, 2024
I humbly disagree! We should be wanting better hockey. Older more mature seasoned players. The big difference here for a player is that NCAA allows for 2 more years of development and 2 more years that NHL teams would own your rights. The NHL wants to level that up across the board, as it benefits them greatly.
If the OHL doesn't get proactive, it will suffer.

RB76

Aug 22, 2023

I found the above recent article interesting discussing the difference between the CHL and the NCAA and what it could become:

"The CHL is traditionally a more free-flowing, skilled league that allows players to develop the dynamic elements of their game. The NCAA is a more structured, physical brand of hockey that allows players to develop their all-around game at both ends of the ice.

That is why the combination of the two – if the NCAA granting CHLers eligibility ever comes to fruition – could ultimately be the best development path for hockey players. It’s why the NCAA route has become increasingly used by young players."

Reactions: Ref Hannah

LostRangers

Feb 1, 2023

I found the above recent article interesting discussing the difference between the CHL and the NCAA and what it could become:

"The CHL is traditionally a more free-flowing, skilled league that allows players to develop the dynamic elements of their game. The NCAA is a more structured, physical brand of hockey that allows players to develop their all-around game at both ends of the ice.

That is why the combination of the two – if the NCAA granting CHLers eligibility ever comes to fruition – could ultimately be the best development path for hockey players. It’s why the NCAA route has become increasingly used by young players."
That’s interesting. I recall a conversation with a former Ranger’s team official who talked about a kid they tried to convince coming to the O. Player in question went NCAA, where he learned zero structure. Got drafted to the show, but never got a sniff because he couldn’t understand playing in a structured system. The exact opposite of what this article states.
While some time has passed since that conversation, I can see the NCAA improving based on improved coaching, but the CHL has definitely not regressed.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
This is exactly how I see it. I have season tickets for Flint, and season tickets for Michigan State.

While the OHL is a more open game, there is fighting. NCAA is much more physical, and if you throw a punch its a game misconduct. The fighting aspect of the game almost seems ass backwards.

2 very different leagues and styles. Great hockey across the board tho.

Ref Hannah

Jul 19, 2024
That’s interesting. I recall a conversation with a former Ranger’s team official who talked about a kid they tried to convince coming to the O. Player in question went NCAA, where he learned zero structure. Got drafted to the show, but never got a sniff because he couldn’t understand playing in a structured system. The exact opposite of what this article states.
While some time has passed since that conversation, I can see the NCAA improving based on improved coaching, but the CHL has definitely not regressed.
Just like anywhere else...It probably depends on the school and staff. And prior to that, the USHL team and staff.

depends, why limit yourself, teams can still have the option of only going limited overages if they want better 16 year olds.
Or better yet....holding more youngsters back and developing them. Physically and mentally so they don't get their arms broken to pieces or clavicle broken by friendly fire!

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
This is exactly how I see it. I have season tickets for Flint, and season tickets for Michigan State.

While the OHL is a more open game, there is fighting. NCAA is much more physical, and if you throw a punch its a game misconduct. The fighting aspect of the game almost seems ass backwards.

2 very different leagues and styles. Great hockey across the board tho.
Well.........They fight in the pro leagues.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Just like anywhere else...It probably depends on the school and staff. And prior to that, the USHL team and staff.

Or better yet....holding more youngsters back and developing them. Physically and mentally so they don't get their arms broken to pieces or clavicle broken by friendly fire!

ok? you see lots of players with broken clavicles in the ohl? is this a pandemic?

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I watched the Montreal Canadiens behind the draft video on YouTube. They were talking about how when they get to the later rounds in the NHL draft that they try to avoid CHL players and prefer to go for NCAA or Europeans players. They said that if you draft a player from the CHL that they only have two years to decide if they want to sign him. But if they draft a player out of the NCAA or Europe that they have a much longer runway of three or four years to sign that player.

With the new rules where CHL players can go to the NCAA route I can see more CHL players getting drafted.

RB76

Aug 22, 2023
I can see the NCAA, CHL and the NHL working together to develop a structured and controlled optimal development path for its players:

CHL / USHL (16-19yrs)
NCAA / CIS (20-23yrs)
AHL / NHL

In theory it would require certain guarantees such as a standard four year agreement for CHL / USHL, exceptions for super elite individuals, NIL changes to allow Canadian athletes to earn, etc., but the result could offer greater opportunities and possibilities for more players.

NIL money is changing the landscape rather quickly. Not saying NCAA Hockey will fully participate but Check out the following from the Athletic:

“We should start by going back to the recruitment of five-star quarterback Nico Iamaleava, who agreed to an unprecedented $8 million NIL deal in 2022 after committing to the Vols. It’s still a big number, but even just two years ago, it made waves. The largest NIL deal anyone had heard of was going to a QB who’d spurned steadier powers for oft-turbulent Tennessee.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad