Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Aaaaah!.......and those wonderful 80's where you had 50 goal guys such as Wayne Presley and David Bruce who never backed down from a fight. Just for fun........

Wayne Presley
1983‑84Kitchener RangersOHL706376139156

David Bruce
1983‑84Kitchener RangersOHL62524092203

What a great year! Um, that last column is "penalty minutes".
I remember a story where a Ranger in the penalty box opened the door and Presley crawled in and said " I just smoked that guy".:laugh: I remember his 60th goal. One of the top goals I remember seeing. Dangled right through the opposing team from one end to the other. 1983-84 . He scored 63 goals , 76 assist and 156 PIMs. He wasn't a huge player. Just had jam. We use to take the boys to an outdoor rink on Natchez and Bruce would be on their goofing around. Great kids.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I remember a story where a Ranger in the penalty box opened the door and Presley crawled in and said " I just smoked that guy".:laugh: I remember his 60th goal. One of the top goals I remember seeing. Dangled right through the opposing team from one end to the other. 1983-84 . He scored 63 goals , 76 assist and 156 PIMs. He wasn't a huge player. Just had jam. We use to take the boys to an outdoor rink on Natchez and Bruce would be on their goofing around. Great kids.
David Bruce was my fav player from those teams!

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Bruce wasn't a big player either. He had over 200 PIMs. This is back when the Rangers knew how to play defense and could play any style an opponent wanted. Back then it was a sin to get run over in your own barn.
Same as Robbie Nichols from that team...same built same type of player. Darn best era for hockey!

Reactions: rangersblues

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Same as Robbie Nichols from that team...same built same type of player. Darn best era for hockey!
Robbie Nichols would be a great prototype for the Rangers to look for in the draft. Saw him come off the ice at Grand River when they practiced there after a loss the night before. Big smile on his face sporting a black eye. Crozier kicked them all off with the exception of about 4 players. Not sure if hockey had more characters in those days or the Rangers just have moved on to a different type of player. Rangers had a ton of gritty character types that went through he wall for each other.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
the other night Rehkopf set Mesar up a couple times and he couldn't bury it either. This team routinely fails to execute when they do make good set up plays.

They get more practice bagging groceries (the latest community outreach idea that looks good but is ultimately meaningless outside of good PR for the team and Zehrs locations) than bagging pucks in the back of the net.

Mesar is not a goal scorer though, He's an elite playmaker and i feel he's not put into a position where the team can get the most out of him.

Mesar could help the team only if he's the center piece on the offense, the puck carrier. Arcuri might be the guy to move with Mesar.

Reactions: GeoBlue

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
On paper one surely would think it would be one heck of a series. However, I guess for some reason Petezian was the difference-maker comparing the performance of this team vs last season (????....perhaps a bit of sarcasm, but yet still a head-scratcher). Quite honestly though, the way this team plays game in - game out, IMO London fans would only consider this match-up a minor concern.
I think rolls would be reversed in a Kitchener / London playoff matchup this year.

I’m not sold on Brochu again this year. He was average at best vs the Rangers last year even before his injury (my main reason for predicting Rangers in 6 last spring). But, Cajan / Parsons trumps Costantini / Vandenberg. Hands down. Therefore, it’s a wash in goal at best for the Rangers.

Also, as skilled as the Ranger D is, it’s very easy to play against. We’ll miss what Nolet brought last year. London’s D is skilled, physical and healthy. That trumps our D in my estimation.

Last year, our forward group had character guys like Petizian and Mutter. Petizian was a beast out there. Heart and soul. A true leader and still feel he should have worn the C. But he didn’t need to wear it to lead. And our guys played a couple inches taller with Mutter in the lineup. He kept McSorley in check. London, on the other hand, were an offence first lineup where the likes of Evangelista and especially Stranges were seemingly more interested in individual, flashy plays looking to get on the highlight reel instead of playing the game. That cost them big time.

This year, the rolls are reversed. London addressed their needs and are a different team. Brought in winners and they have jam in the lineup. MM, on the other hand, didn’t address our needs. We are a soft, one dimensional team better built for the regular season. We have a guy or two who tries to display what we lack. But Andonovski, for instance, is still young. He’s a year away from being a rock on the back end. Dare I say a Connor Hall type?

Come playoff time, I still think our best bet is to play London over Windsor or Sarnia, if it’s a competitive series we’re looking for. We could take the Knights to six games but I won’t predict we beat them.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
East verses West. Rangers win the battle of the eighth place teams. Oshawa is in a rebuild. Rangers just fumble along. MM finally hit .500 hockey. Feather in his cap.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
5-2 Rangers vs Oshawa going into the 3rd. Two quick goals by Oshawa early in the 3rd.
Lesson to be learned...YOU CAN'T LET DOWN. And yes, mistakes will cost you.
I was sure the Rangers would collapse but they didn't allow another and capped the game
with an ENG for a 6-4 win.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
DIdn't venture out to the game last night but watched from home. Erie has had Rangers number this year but not in this game. Rangers did their job and roared out to a 3-0 lead later to be 4-0. Vandenberg was solid and was so close to his first shutout. I'm a Parsons fan but I have to say that the duo of Vandenberg and Felice appeal more to me for next season. Parsons could add some picks to Rangers depleted closet.

OS tonight and they've been on a roll as has Guelph (Tuesday). Must wins (pretty much like every game) and not going to be easy ones. Followed by OS Friday, Windsor Saturday, and Sarnia Sunday. Tall order.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
DIdn't venture out to the game last night but watched from home. Erie has had Rangers number this year but not in this game. Rangers did their job and roared out to a 3-0 lead later to be 4-0. Vandenberg was solid and was so close to his first shutout. I'm a Parsons fan but I have to say that the duo of Vandenberg and Felice appeal more to me for next season. Parsons could add some picks to Rangers depleted closet.

OS tonight and they've been on a roll as has Guelph (Tuesday). Must wins (pretty much like every game) and not going to be easy ones. Followed by OS Friday, Windsor Saturday, and Sarnia Sunday. Tall order.
Rangers played a decent game and kept the pressure on in this one. Erie has had their number but they are in last place so that has to be considered when the Rangers are supposedly "going for it". Still looking at the standings the Rangers are spinning their wheels because the teams above seem to win when the Rangers do.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

Erie was missing some key players yet still held their own for a last place team. We should know after next weekend as to how "real" these Rangers are.

Interesting dilemma with our goaltending situation next year. Parsons is definitely a big question mark given the shoulder surgery. And the Ranger's history of shoulder surgeries is not great! Should Parsons bounce back strong, he would command a lot of picks but if not, do we let him go for less or do we ship Vandenberg? Felice is definitely our tender of the future so I see him staying. But again, bringing up history, we do seem to trade for our #1's, especially the last few years.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Interesting dilemma with our goaltending situation next year. Parsons is definitely a big question mark given the shoulder surgery. And the Ranger's history of shoulder surgeries is not great! Should Parsons bounce back strong, he would command a lot of picks but if not, do we let him go for less or do we ship Vandenberg? Felice is definitely our tender of the future so I see him staying. But again, bringing up history, we do seem to trade for our #1's, especially the last few years.
Parsons is the better tender. But we’ll be rebuilding.

Start the season with all three. DiFelice gets starts at JrB while we get Parsons the starts here to build up his value (injury). Then move Parsons (the earlier the better if the return is right) and go the rest of the way with Vandenberg and DiFelice splitting the starts.

By the time we contend again, DiFelice is the #1.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
All due respect, we say that every time we run into tough teams - with mixed results.

I don’t think we’ll find out how “real” these Rangers are til we start the post season.
I haven't jumped back on the bandwagon yet. The games they have played with MM behind the bench have been mostly unimpressive in my eyes, personally. But quietly, they have gotten at least one point in all but 2 of the games so this must count for something. One hopes they are making a slow turnaround and preparing to peak at playoff time.

Reactions: EvenSteven

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Today felt like another step in the right direction. Results have been better under MM and i think they will continue to trend that way down the stretch.

Reactions: RichieRice

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I'd like to thank Flint for pounding Guelph 10 - 3. And how about Sarnia? 9-6 over Windsor and 6-1 over London. Rangers will make playoffs (unless they self-destruct) and moving up into 6th might not be the best matchup...

Rangers winning IN OS and shutting them out (Cos came up big in this one) is quite a feat. But on Tuesday, they face a Guelph team that was humiliated yesterday. As always, it's going to be a fun game to watch. Are the Rangers up for the task??

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
.........OS tonight and they've been on a roll as has Guelph (Tuesday). Must wins (pretty much like every game) and not going to be easy ones. Followed by OS Friday, Windsor Saturday, and Sarnia Sunday. Tall order.

Next weekend sure looks tough. That 3rd in 3 vs Sarnia is going to be a challenge. They are one hot team, and seem to be potting a lot of goals lately.

On different note, it's interesting to see how the Pete's - another "contender" - seem to be struggling. Mississauga, Hamilton and Sudbury are all within 5 points of them. I didn't have a look at how much they have left in their draft cupboard after making their moves (compared to the Rangers) but their current season situation isn't looking promising.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Enjoyed watching the game last night. Rangers scored some timely goals. Constantini was the difference maker in this game for sure. Rangers were out shot 15-5 in the 3rd. They have a couple of games in hand with teams right above them and need those wins to move up. Not sure which of the top teams would be a good match. Sarnia beat Windsor last night in a high scoring affair. They have beaten London lately. The Knights are a Knight Mare for the Rangers usually. Last year was an exception. No use kidding ourselves. Still any of the top three in the west would be a challenge for this Ranger squad.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Enjoyed watching the game last night. Rangers scored some timely goals. Constantini was the difference maker in this game for sure. Rangers were out shot 15-5 in the 3rd. They have a couple of games in hand with teams right above them and need those wins to move up. Not sure which of the top teams would be a good match. Sarnia beat Windsor last night in a high scoring affair. They have beaten London lately. The Knights are a Knight Mare for the Rangers usually. Last year was an exception. No use kidding ourselves. Still any of the top three in the west would be a challenge for this Ranger squad.
Maybe we can hope for a hot finish and aim for 4th or 5th and a date with Saginaw or Guelph?

Reactions: bobber

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Maybe we can hope for a hot finish and aim for 4th or 5th and a date with Saginaw or Guelph?
Geo this is the best scenario for this Rangers squad for sure. They should be up in that area anyway with the trades they made. Ranger fans really have to hope they accomplish something exciting because they might not see it a for a couple of seasons.:)

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Geo this is the best scenario for this Rangers squad for sure. They should be up in that area anyway with the trades they made. Ranger fans really have to hope they accomplish something exciting because they might not see it a for a couple of seasons.:)
Those 2 games in hand are HUGE! If we win those, we are right up there with Guelph and Saginaw. Owen Sound as the same amount of games left as the Rangers but they seem to be self-destructing.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Those 2 games in hand are HUGE! If we win those, we are right up there with Guelph and Saginaw. Owen Sound as the same amount of games left as the Rangers but they seem to be self-destructing.
And it starts tonight vs Guelph and has to happen on Friday vs OS. After that, two very tough games away in Windsor then Sarnia.

1678196435992.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad