Kirby Dach - is there precedent for a happy ending?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Koivu had a ton of injuries to start his career went onto good career. Played over 1100 NHL games. Plus loss one of his prime years to strike.

He was never the same player after his first knee injury though. He was just coming into his own. Best player in NHL for half a season before suffering knee injury against the Black Hawks. I forget who he collided with now. Once he got with Recchi. That line was on fire. Was leading NHL in scoring. Habs traded Turgeon moved Koivu up with Recchi and he took off.

The player he collided with was Jeff Shantz

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Exactly, He was so strong, smart and agile and was almost a perfect defender who had a bomb of a shot. He is the defenceman that I have trusted more than any other dman in my life that played for this team.

Also, I want to mention Laperierre as a very underrated dman in Habs history who was a tall, rangy defender with a beautiful stride who was also very good in his own end and really stood out with his ability to skate the puck out of trouble. He was not in the same league as other Habs greats but just a player that really stands out to me when I watch old Hab games.
Yeah lapperiere was really solid. Smart too.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I like Dach as a guy and as a player, but I do view this as sort of a "this is it" year for him. He can only be that young kid with potential for so long rather than the injury-riddled mid-20s guy who was drafted high but never figured it out.

Not saying if he did get hurt this year he's a complete bust but it's hard to expect a guy to develop and reliably pencil him into your lineup every season when he can't stay on the ice.
I think that’s the sentiment of most of the board. I’ve written similar things and have read it here as well.

I’m all for keeping him if he gets hurt again but we can’t depend on him as we have. This is the last go. If he gets hurt we need another second line center.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
The question wasn't can he recover from his injuries. He obviously can. The question wasn't even implying that he's injury prone as many replies seem to be mis-interpreting. The question was after missing so much time during key development years, can he still become a star?
He can. It’s just a matter more of the mental side imo unless something didn’t heal properly

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have a feeling that between Hughes ability to negotiate contracts, the team culture of buying in long term, having gotten paid well for so much missed time and wanting to be a part of the future we are building…. Dach will sign long term at a reduced rate

If we continue to track well and the team is very competitive, it's possible Dach extends but not sure how that plays out. A lot depends on Dach's production

lillypad33

Sep 20, 2008
Kitchener
LaFontaine had acl surgery in 1993..... He then had a major concussion after coming back.
But...he did come back with a 40 goal 91 point season before succumbing to more concussions.
In soccer Virgl VanDyk had his ACL and PCL torn 3 seasons ago... He's finally not back to his full self.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
LaFontaine had acl surgery in 1993..... He then had a major concussion after coming back.
But...he did come back with a 40 goal 91 point season before succumbing to more concussions.
In soccer Virgl VanDyk had his ACL and PCL torn 3 seasons ago... He's finally not back to his full self.
Concussions are like sitting at craps table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad