Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
I have just come across these forums from last season and now the of season. I have noticed many of you and especially frontsfan67 hate uens. I know the family, the kid, and real knowledge/conversations with these players. first off anyone who listens to frontsfan67 he knows nothing to the fact i see he's stated budnick is a "room guy". The players didn't like him do to his ego and he wanted a trade because he knew no one liked him.

so now i start with Uens,

After an incredible rookie season and looking to become a big OHL name things went downhill for him offensively i will admit which i will get to later on. However none of you understand what he has dealt with and why you assume he lost his passion and drive. (I spoke recently with Uens he is more determined then ever he is going to bounce back this year) So imagine moving away at 16 years old playing under a hard ass coach, uens starts fighting blocking a crazy amount of shots getting blown up to make plays all while standing at 5,8. This kid has taken a skate to the face broke his nose and missed one shift then came out for the last shift of the period and blocks 2 shots one being a one timer. (He's crazy and refuses to show people he's hurt). Being this size playing this way his head has become a serious issue. No medical staff or any one in owen sound or kingston organization knows this, his family i don't believe is even aware. Everyone go watch his fight early on in his second year against jorian donovan. He starts the fight without a helmet doing great then takes bad blows to the back the head in obvious pain. He then the next game misses his only game in his career do to 'sickness' (only missed others for suspension). The kid told the staff he's crazy sick and couldn't play over the phone. Meanwhile, it was heard his girlfriend that night took care of him and he was burnt up puking every time he stands. Then next day he couldn't open his eyes yelling in pain throwing up unable to move. Now take in he practices the next day because he knows his teammates look to him as a warrior and doesn't want to show weakness likely because he's always been told he's to small. so now i have heard he is getting much better after 2 years but has dealt every day and night with paranoia and his head bothering him without telling anyone this is just rumors that have came from someone very close to him who certainly would know these things/seen them so i assume this is the case . I have even heard stories of him puking in intermission again telling people he's sick but came after a big hit or fight. So please grow up and get off the kid that battles for you every night doing the things no one else will at half there size.

So now you can see i have some inside scoop i also have access to elite advanced stats. you say uens is a offensive defensemen and terrible defensively. your 100% right his offensive game has been a bust to what we saw his rookie season and the stats dont lie. Not point stats, real stats that you'll never get your hands on as you don't have any involvement with the league no matter how much you think you know . However his defensive game has grown to be elite the stats don't lie as it follows

Pros
-Shot blocking 96.4th percentile
-Exit passes 88.2th percentile (turnover machine though right?
-Puck battles 94.7th percentile (to Small?)
-Gap Set 98.0th percentile (average gap set at 7.8ft, that is a very elite stat)
-Kill/dump rate 96.7th percentile

Cons
Carries out of neutral zone rate 54th percentile (likely due to being a pass first player)
point shots on net 45th percentile
expected offence 58th percentile
passes to slot allowed rate 57th percentile
expected points 44th percentile

For those who don't understand the percentile metric. This is comparable to all defensemen in the league averages. for example if there was a 100 defensemen, the 20th best shot blocking numbers would land you in the 80th percentile. Hope that makes sense
90-100 is extremely elite
70-90 is great
70 good
50-60 ok
30-50 weakness
30 under liability

Uens best categories all are defensive and point towards him being a elite defender.
His only real low defensive stat is pass to slot allowed rate which is likely due to him trying to be to physical at times allowing passes through his feet to the slot as he doesn't give anything up off the rush. The offensive stats are not impressive at all he knows and he's working on it I'm sure.. The team has access to all this info they see him as a inspiration in the room there's a reason he won the unsung hero, no one respects his game other then the ones who truly understand the game he will break out his offense just watch.

This d core looks great this year with burns and likely pienemi as a 1,2 however McGowan and Uens are very good together and i believe they both will have breakout seasons offensively while continuing to dominate defensively. To add McGowan is the next best is in gap set on the team in the 96th percentile which makes these to elite when working together.
Uens plays his best with those who have good gaps as if one defenders gap is off it can kill someone who has a good gap with defenders sneaking behind them. This is why holmes and uens struggle together. where as chromiak with much worse defensive stats played much better with holmes.
Interesting read.

This is the first time I have seen Uens and Elite in a sentence together.
Cal can be one of the most undisciplined players on the ice quite often in my viewings.
This is why his Dad has the number of the time keeper and texts messages to him to relay messages to Cal while he's in the Penalty box.

The kid no doubt goes to war every night but he needs to control his emotions better and protect his body.

I don't see him as the offensively gifted guy you mention but more of a grinder that will win puck battles and get the puck out of the zone. (more like a less talented version of Donovan Mccoy)
I'm using this reference as it sounds like you are a QRD guy or a member of the UENS family.

I did notice post coaching change last season Cal started to feel more comfortable skating the puck up the ice and would drive to the net. -This is something he would never do under Caputi so one can only assume MANN was pushing for more out of him.

One thing i know for a fact that if Kingston knew about the alleged pain he was going through it would have been addressed. (similar to how Ben Roger was held out of so many games when he was battling concussions) -They have an excellent staff and i can truly say they care deeply about the kids best interest and safety.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
How’s it going Mr Uens?? You having a good summer?

I’ve said many times how uens is a turnover factory. That’s the part that makes my eyes bleed LOL. You will see some periods where he has 3 or 4 bad ones in a period- the opposing team doesn’t score all of them but when you pass it in front of the net enough- they will sooner or later. Pretty sure they teach not to do this very early on like I’m talking when you’re below the age of 10. People harp on burns all the time for it- atleast burns brings a good 30 points a year. Also a lot of people hate on burns for dumb penalties but uens does the exact same thing. Just doesn’t make much sense- cutting up the star d and leaving the depth d alone just because he’s from gan?
Wow, that is in depth. lol

• Haha
Reactions: frontsfan67

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
I think Ive posted this before on here but will do so again given the topic.

When Cal came in the Attack where really excited they had another top offensive player and to be honest, that first year he really exceeded expectations. He produced at a higher offensive rate then any other 16 year old in the Attacks history. 18 points doesn't seem like a ton, but for a 16 year old defenceman, thats impressive. Markus Phillips, who ended up being a top D in the league at 19 only had 12.

That second season for whatever reason, Cal never got off to the right step and found himself being passed by others. I have no idea why it was, but the production was not there and he struggled to find a footing. Some of us wondered if he was so focused on playing physical that he lost sight of who he was as a player, an offensive puck mover, he tried to play like Mark Woolley did and not like Cal Uens.

After his 16 year old season I would have bet that Cal would have been a leader on the Attack, almost a point a game and be one of the better offensive defenceman in the league. I have no idea what happened to him but we all hope that he gets back to where he was, he was a fun player to watch when he was in Owen Sound.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think Ive posted this before on here but will do so again given the topic.

When Cal came in the Attack where really excited they had another top offensive player and to be honest, that first year he really exceeded expectations. He produced at a higher offensive rate then any other 16 year old in the Attacks history. 18 points doesn't seem like a ton, but for a 16 year old defenceman, thats impressive. Markus Phillips, who ended up being a top D in the league at 19 only had 12.

That second season for whatever reason, Cal never got off to the right step and found himself being passed by others. I have no idea why it was, but the production was not there and he struggled to find a footing. Some of us wondered if he was so focused on playing physical that he lost sight of who he was as a player, an offensive puck mover, he tried to play like Mark Woolley did and not like Cal Uens.

After his 16 year old season I would have bet that Cal would have been a leader on the Attack, almost a point a game and be one of the better offensive defenceman in the league. I have no idea what happened to him but we all hope that he gets back to where he was, he was a fun player to watch when he was in Owen Sound.

He got himself KINGSTON’D!

Reactions: Section5Petes

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
He got himself KINGSTON’D!
It happened before that, he just struggled to get where we expected him to get his first month and a bit in Owen Sound.

I will say I remember the game against Erie when he took the skate to the face, massive cut and broken nose and he was back on the bench within 5/10 minutes.

We had another big 'aggressive' defenceman that would have someone say a mean word to him and he'd be gone for 3 games lol. I wish that he had half the heart that Cal showed when he was in Owen Sound.

FrontalLobe

Feb 23, 2023
I've been defending the kid on here as well from Frontsfan67 who knows nothing about this team. He's a leader in the dressing room as well as on the ice and don't be surprised if he is wearing letter this year. I know much more than you Frontsfan67. Just trust me on that. You come across as a young kid who has never played the game before. Believe me, the kid is not going anywhere, the coaches, love him, Springer loves him, and more importantly his teammates love him so get used to it and drop the topic. He's playing this year and there is no way Williamson, Vellaris, et al will be playing ahead of him. Until they trade for another RD he will be on the top pair. They definitely need another RD to be on the top pairing, and if they get one the D core will be solid with Pie there. The thing I liked most about the new posters comments was him calling you out on your constant claim of him being an offensive d man. They used him on both PK1 and PK 2 all year. We all know your opinion bc you spew it every day. Just stop and let the topic be.

And "Beast" just stop making predictions about the line up please. It's so obvious that you don't follow the team. How many times can you put Budnick, Schneider, Savard, etc back on the roster? Stop blaming the site. You don't watch our games like posted above. Then the comment about rolling into the season with 1 OA? As Frontsfan67 says "LOL LOL LOL."
Lalonde and Guindon are two for sures. Heyes and Poole would both love to stick around. Even if we trade for another OA one of them is hoping to remain rostered and play whenever possible. Carrying 4 OA's for awhile is good. They are both dressing room guys and leaders who are respected by their teammates and I know they both would love to get the increased stipend that OA'S get every month. One of them would be there if another OA is injured or when they can spot Lalonde off for a night to maybe get third string in for a night.

Just an fyi as to who they are expecting the biggest improvements and noticeable jumps from this year; Soto, Hopkins, Uens, and Burns.

Reactions: dirty12

FrontalLobe

Feb 23, 2023

I’ve said many times how uens is a turnover factory. That’s the part that makes my eyes bleed LOL. You will see some periods where he has 3 or 4 bad ones in a period- the opposing team doesn’t score all of them but when you pass it in front of the net enough- they will sooner or later. Pretty sure they teach not to do this very early on like I’m talking when you’re below the age of 10. People harp on burns all the time for it- atleast burns brings a good 30 points a year. Also a lot of people hate on burns for dumb penalties but uens does the exact same thing. Just doesn’t make much sense- cutting up the star d and leaving the depth d alone just because he’s from gan?
Again you know nothing. You really think there would be a parent on here? I know for a fact that the soft dump to front of the net is actually one of their breakouts they use vs certain forechecks. It takes the low fwd getting to the right spot at the right time when the play is there. Sometimes it looks like the D fault and is at times but there is more to it. But like I said in the post moments ago, you haven't played have you?

Again - give up the topic. Let's all just be excited about the announcement to be made tomorrow!

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I've been defending the kid on here as well from Frontsfan67 who knows nothing about this team. He's a leader in the dressing room as well as on the ice and don't be surprised if he is wearing letter this year.
Don’t think ive ever said anything about cals character lol. Hes a good kid. I’d like him a lot more if he just didn’t give up turnovers.
I know much more than you Frontsfan67. Just trust me on that.
Probably I’m just a fan not an insider as I’ve said multiple times if you could read. And like anyone else I have my own opinion, I don’t care whether or not other people agree with it ever. that’s why it’s an opinion. Just like an ass- everyone has one.
Believe me, the kid is not going anywhere, the coaches, love him, Springer loves him, and more importantly his teammates love him so get used to it and drop the topic.
he’s a great kid I’m not saying he isn’t. You can still be a great kid and not the best hockey player so get used to that too.
He's playing this year and there is no way Williamson, Vellaris, et al will be playing ahead of him.
If you could read posts- believe I’ve specified that I know he will play more than Williamson/velliaris. When I make up a lineup- that’s just how I would do it. Williamson and especially Velliaris have FAR more potential though and are younger. And I always specify that too. Reading is hard.
Until they trade for another RD he will be on the top pair.
even with your uens bias. I’m going to assume that even you realize him on the top unit on a team that is supposed to be contending is probably not the best idea. But then again you may be blinded by the love you clearly have for this guy.
They definitely need another RD to be on the top pairing, and if they get one the D core will be solid with Pie there. The thing I liked most about the new posters comments was him calling you out on your constant claim of him being an offensive d man.
That’s what they got him for lol- he was like that in Owen sound.

How many 5’8 defensive d men have ever been super spectacular?? He would be better off trying to actually push the puck up the ice and contribute offensively rather than panicking when a bigger guy runs towards you and tossing it 15 feet in front of vaccari.
They used him on both PK1 and PK 2 all year. We all know your opinion bc you spew it every day. Just stop and let the topic be.
If you don’t like it- either block me or quit your yapping. Not everybody’s gonna agree with everything that everyone says. Use your head.
As Frontsfan67 says "LOL LOL LOL.”
Yes. Im the one that created that acronym. Very good. Never been used before me. Thanks for the laugh LOL
Just an fyi as to who they are expecting the biggest improvements and noticeable jumps from this year; Soto, Hopkins, Uens, and Burns.
Soto Hopkins and burns are pretty obvious. Uens was playing better the last little bit and into the playoffs but I don’t know if I’d put him over Battaglia in terms of a big jump. If we get Guindon- Battaglia can hit 90 points this year. Not trying to rag uens for this I do think he’s going to be better if he put on weight and works on his passing

Again you know nothing. You really think there would be a parent on here?
I don’t know you both seem to be pretty passionate about the uens topic- you tell me.
I know for a fact that the soft dump to front of the net is actually one of their breakouts they use vs certain forechecks. It takes the low fwd getting to the right spot at the right time when the play is there. Sometimes it looks like the D fault and is at times but there is more to it. But like I said in the post moments ago, you haven't played have you?
Hockey’s a fast paced game. It’s not always uens fault. However when it’s consistently happening more and more with the same player you tend to notice a pattern going on.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

The coaches like Uens enough to have on PK, and TOI > or = to all but Schmidt in the playoffs.

Last edited:

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
The coaches like Uens enough to have on PK, and TOI > or = to all but Schmidt in the playoffs.
Yes. Our defence was horrible this year. And they’re not going to put burns and Schmidt on the same line in the playoffs. They’ll eat up half the TOI and then after they’d be screwed so they kept them 2 on separate lines.

FrontalLobe

Feb 23, 2023
Change of topic. Just heard this from a friend who is close to another team, not Kingston sources. Apparently Frasca told a close friend in the league he will not be reporting to camp if a deal is not done prior. That is simply hearsay on my end but don't think he would have shared it if there was not something to it.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Change of topic. Just heard this from a friend who is close to another team, not Kingston sources. Apparently Frasca told a close friend in the league he will not be reporting to camp if a deal is not done prior. That is simply hearsay on my end but don't think he would have shared it if there was not something to it.
The return could be a lot lower than expected if he holds out and refuses to report to camp particularly if he will only accept a trade to a few teams. He could go for a depth player and a couple of draft picks.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yes. Our defence was horrible this year. And they’re not going to put burns and Schmidt on the same line in the playoffs. They’ll eat up half the TOI and then after they’d be screwed so they kept them 2 on separate lines.

(team defence) was indeed bad.

Reactions: frontsfan67

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023

I mentioned this a week or 2 ago when I broke the Guidon news.
They are trying hard to move him as quick as possible.
Apparently the kid was toxic last season once they brought in Dubois.
I’ve had a couple people tell me “he is not a good kid” which is a pretty bold statement.

FrontalLobe

Feb 23, 2023
I mentioned this a week or 2 ago when I broke the Guidon news.
They are trying hard to move him as quick as possible.
Apparently the kid was toxic last season once they brought in Dubois.
I’ve had a couple people tell me “he is not a good kid” which is a pretty bold statement.
Yes. You are bang on there. I also mentioned awhile ago that they wanted to move him. I just hadn't heard anything about the hold out until now.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
After working in the 67's dressing room for four years in the mid-90s, I can assure you that the training staff is aware if there are issues with Uens. We did not have the training staff they do now. The trainers let the coach know if there is an issue with a player.

If Uens has had multiple concussions it would be noted. If he is sick then he needs to think about his future after hockey. We all know that a 5'8" d is not going to make the NHL or AHL. He needs to think about his scholastics. and go from there.
Mann is going to require a lot from him, at least for the start of the season, as they have no one to fill the right side especially if Pienimi does report.

As for Frasca, part of his issue is possibly the fact that he did not get drafted, so it has to be the team's fault. He needs to go somewhere else so that they can show how good he is. Forget the fact that he lined up behind Ludwinski and missed a good portion of the season.

Was it the Frasca family that Caputi was helping with skills or smething?

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Yes. You are bang on there. I also mentioned awhile ago that they wanted to move him. I just hadn't heard anything about the hold out until now.
I wonder if he would benefit from playing for a coach like Rob Wilson who had success in turning Brennan Othmann into a team player and also turning careers of a few underachieving players around. However I am not sure if the Petes are interested in a player that is considered toxic. They tend to avoid those players.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
After working in the 67's dressing room for four years in the mid-90s, I can assure you that the training staff is aware if there are issues with Uens. We did not have the training staff they do now. The trainers let the coach know if there is an issue with a player.

If Uens has had multiple concussions it would be noted. If he is sick then he needs to think about his future after hockey. We all know that a 5'8" d is not going to make the NHL or AHL. He needs to think about his scholastics. and go from there.
Mann is going to require a lot from him, at least for the start of the season, as they have no one to fill the right side especially if Pienimi does report.

As for Frasca, part of his issue is possibly the fact that he did not get drafted, so it has to be the team's fault. He needs to go somewhere else so that they can show how good he is. Forget the fact that he lined up behind Ludwinski and missed a good portion of the season.

Was it the Frasca family that Caputi was helping with skills or smething?

It seems straight forward from the outside. Frasca was not able to accept that he is not a centre for Kingston. It’s too bad. He could have racked up a lot of points at LW with Battaglia RW. I think he is either getting bad advice or won’t hear that he is not a good centre at this time.

Last edited:

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
It seems straight forward from the outside. Frasca was not able to accept that he is not a centre for Kingston. It’s too bad. He could have racked up a lot of points at LW with Battaglia RW. I think he is either getting bad advice or won’t hear that he is not a good centre at this time.
What are his issues at centre? Is he not good at taking face offs or is it something else. The Petes need a player that can play centre they do not need another left winger.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The issue was he had 2 centres that were WAY better than him in Ludwinski and Dubois.
He was toxic when they brought in Dubois

IF IF IF he was ONLY toxic because he was unseated at centre in a top 6 role, it would SEEM that he needs an opportunity to play centre in a top 6 role so that is the team he needs to find. If there are additional issues with his overall approach (selfish) then that is a different story.

If you look at a team like Ottawa, he could theoretically play centre on the fist line with Pinelli. The question would really be whether he can play in a Dave Cameron system or whether he is selfish and wants to play what suit him personally no matter the cost.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
The issue was he had 2 centres that were WAY better than him in Ludwinski and Dubois.
He was toxic when they brought in Dubois
If he was traded to Peterborough he would likely be one of their top two centres with Brayden McCallum. I think he has potential. His older brothers took time to develop. Jordan Frasca had 43 points as a 17 year old (Covid cancelled his 18 year old season) and doubled that total at 19 with 87 points. His other brother Jacob had his best season at 19 with 69 points.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
If he was traded to Peterborough he would likely be one of their top two centres with Brayden McCallum. I think he has potential. His older brothers took time to develop. Jordan Frasca had 43 points as a 17 year old (Covid cancelled his 18 year old season) and doubled that total at 19 with 87 points. His other brother Jacob had his best season at 19 with 69 points.
I’d take McCallum over Frasca any day of the week. That kid is a dog.
Just needs to stay on his feet a bit more man that kid hits the ice a lot!

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I’d take McCallum over Frasca any day of the week. That kid is a dog.
Just needs to stay on his feet a bit more man that kid hits the ice a lot!
Brayden McCallum is a real competitor. By the end of the season he was likely the Petes hardest working player. He could be a future captain. Once he was switched to centre in the last quarter of the season he was above a point a game player. I expect big things from his this coming season.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I wonder if he would benefit from playing for a coach like Rob Wilson who had success in turning Brennan Othmann into a team player and also turning careers of a few underachieving players around. However I am not sure if the Petes are interested in a player that is considered toxic. They tend to avoid those players.
they just traded for 2 last year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad