Kings select Jack Hughes #51

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
This was the range I thought he'd go in, problem was I wouldn't have taken Hughes ahead of Hutson or Goyette. Also, every late birthday who goes into the NCAA in their DY and puts up the level of production that Hughes did tends to have a Riley Sheahan ceiling. Not inspiring.

We'll see what happens, Yannetti said Hughes needs a big year to earn an ELC
I think a big part of his development issues have been, from what I understand, is that physically he hasn’t developed. I think it was Yannetti that said he essentially has hardly grown or put on any weight. That’s obviously going to need to change if it’s not too late for that to happen. He may need to wait until he gets his ‘man strength’ before we know what he may become. It doesn’t look promising though.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think a big part of his development issues have been, from what I understand, is that physically he hasn’t developed. I think it was Yannetti that said he essentially has hardly grown or put on any weight. That’s obviously going to need to change if it’s not too late for that to happen. He may need to wait until he gets his ‘man strength’ before we know what he may become. It doesn’t look promising though.

Sounds like the Tyler Madden issue

But this is starting to look as bad as the Chris Gibson pick

There was never much there and it’s STILL disappointing

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Sounds like the Tyler Madden issue

But this is starting to look as bad as the Chris Gibson pick

There was never much there and it’s STILL disappointing
I wouldn't say it's as bad as the Gibson pick. Gibson was always a major reach and the Kings knew they f***ed up within months of that draft. Hughes was ranked in the 28-35 range before that year and fell down the boards because he was just ok in the NCAA that season.

Now if Hutson becomes better Torey Krug and Goyette turns into Toffoli, then it's gonna sting that much more. Poitras already looks decent but he wasn't thought of any higher or lower than Hughes and we'll see about Luneau.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I wouldn't say it's as bad as the Gibson pick. Gibson was always a major reach and the Kings knew they f***ed up within months of that draft. Hughes was ranked in the 28-35 range before that year and fell down the boards because he was just ok in the NCAA that season.

Now if Hutson becomes better Torey Krug and Goyette turns into Toffoli, then it's gonna sting that much more. Poitras already looks decent but he wasn't thought of any higher or lower than Hughes and we'll see about Luneau.

I would. At least with goalies you can say it's voodoo. With an undersized random vanilla left handed center, the org did NOT need that at the time and there were better players that were better fits for organizational need as well.

I'm not even so much evaluating that pick as much on if the guys around him turn out, but I agree on your second paragraph. It's the same reason I was mad at the time when the org took Bjornfot when they needed scoring--this guy is neither BPA NOR a fit AND a physical project. It's hard to see even what they saw in hughes at the time and this thread bears evidence to that, even the org was hard pressed to verbalize.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County
I would. At least with goalies you can say it's voodoo. With an undersized random vanilla left handed center, the org did NOT need that at the time and there were better players that were better fits for organizational need as well.

I'm not even so much evaluating that pick as much on if the guys around him turn out, but I agree on your second paragraph. It's the same reason I was mad at the time when the org took Bjornfot when they needed scoring--this guy is neither BPA NOR a fit AND a physical project. It's hard to see even what they saw in hughes at the time and this thread bears evidence to that, even the org was hard pressed to verbalize.
I remember at the time I was thinking prospect depth on left side was kinda thin and was hoping they take at shot on Filip Nordberg (not sure how he looks now) or Lane Hutson and I starting wonder if Hughes was his or Blake's pick.
I like what Yannetti has done and would really like to see what he could do with a new Gm and philosophy or even an approach to the draft like Carolina

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

Hughes had the reputation of being a decent scorer (from his NTDP days) who was defensively responsible. Yannetti came up with an excuse for Hughes' below average 18 year old season production by saying that Hughes was extremely young for the NCAA, even though historical data shows draft eligibles who produce that poorly in the NCAA tend to not become much, whereas Hutson was the 2nd or 3rd best player at the 2022 U18, despite being tiny.

I remember at the time I was thinking prospect depth on left side was kinda thin and was hoping they take at shot on Filip Nordberg (not sure how he looks now) or Lane Hutson and I starting wonder if Hughes was his or Blake's pick.
I like what Yannetti has done and would really like to see what he could do with a new Gm and philosophy or even an approach to the draft like Carolina

Nordberg has regressed while Hutson is a top 15 prospect in the league.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

The problem was Dean drafted the wrong Gibson. I'm sure he nailed the interview and checked all of DL's character boxes. Once again he was trying to be the smartest guy in the room with the pick and it blew up in his face. That entire 2011 draft was crap for us. I bet the Leafs wished they didn't trade the 39th pick [ John Gibson] to move up to draft Tyler Biggs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad