Kings select Jack Hughes #51

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015

Jack Hughes, C, NORTHEASTERN (H-EAST)

November 2, 2003 | 6′ 0″ | 169 pounds

Tier: Projected to play NHL games

Skating: Below NHL average
Puck skills: Above NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: NHL average

Background: Hughes played a significant role on Northeastern as a draft-eligible freshman. He was a top forward for the 2003 U.S. NTDP age group coming up, including being one of their top forwards at the World U17 Challenge. He’s the son of Canadiens GM Kent Hughes.

Analysis: Hughes is one of the more skilled and creative players in the draft. He has high-end puck skills and ability to improvise with the puck to create chances for himself and his teammates. He’s able to score goals but he’s a pass-first type player. Hughes lacks ideal speed for the NHL and the pace of higher levels will be his main test. He competes well enough. He won’t run guys over but he’s responsible off the puck and doesn’t shy from physical play. Hughes projects as a bottom-six forward. .

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
With the big guys gone, he's a good pick. Was hoping Warren would last, dang Ducks!

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Gut instinct is I don't like it, not because I hate the player, but because he's redundant, feel like the Kings could have done more to snag a real target like last year, quality over quantity. Staying put and selecting a playmaking C doesn't inspire confidence and tells me they didn't do what they set out to do. He's a good pick but nothing to get excited about and Kings clearly see somethign in him a lot of other rankings don't so there's that, and i trust these guys outside the 1st round, but still, bit pot of 'meh' right now.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
With Quinn, Jack, and Luke Hughes all being drafted high in recent years, the Hughes family from Manchester, New Hampshire have been big players in recent NHL Drafts. However, a new family from Westwood, Massachusetts with the same name (and no relation) is looking to make a big impact in the 2022 NHL Draft. Former player agent Kent Hughes is the new Montreal Canadiens general manager and has the first overall pick. Meanwhile, his son, Jack Hughes, is seen as a possible late first or early second-round pick.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Fit right in? Where have i heard/seen this before.

"Hughes needs to work on his shot though. He gets decent power on his shot but lacks accuracy. Too many of his shots either hit the goalie square in the chest or miss the net."

Reactions: Jungle Boy

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Weird that the Kings drafted a guy that looks to top out as a 3rd line center in like 4-5 years, but okay.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It is an underwhelming pick, but at this point, I am fine with them taking who they perceive is the BPA. For all we know, everyone ahead of this kid is getting traded at this rate :P Bottom 6 playmaker seems like a weird pick though.

Reactions: Jungle Boy and YP44

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Gut instinct is I don't like it, not because I hate the player, but because he's redundant, feel like the Kings could have done more to snag a real target like last year, quality over quantity. Staying put and selecting a playmaking C doesn't inspire confidence and tells me they didn't do what they set out to do. He's a good pick but nothing to get excited about and Kings clearly see somethign in him a lot of other rankings don't so there's that, and i trust these guys outside the 1st round, but still, bit pot of 'meh' right now.

Yeah, kinda agree here.

The last thing we needed is another bottom 6 center.
We should really take a shot a goalie since our pipeline of goalies is scary, in a bad way

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Was really hoping we would start trading some picks for next year this draft just doesn’t do it for me in terms of guys jumping off the page.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV

It's clear that Blake values, covets, speed and skill. Their "plan" and player leanings since he has taken over had all gone that way. He mentioned looking for toughness through trade, hopefully, they find that, but they are planning on outskating and out passing their opponents. He kind of hinted during his last few interviews that Colorado was an influence on the direction he wants to take the team. Of course, Colorado was greatly enhanced by picking 1st overall and getting three top 3 picks in a rapid amount of time...

At the very least, even if it doesn't work, the team might be exciting to watch in the future... Not the pick I was hoping for, but he sounds interesting...

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It's clear that Blake values, covets, speed and skill. Their "plan" and player leanings since he has taken over had all gone that way. He mentioned looking for toughness through trade, hopefully, they find that, but they are planning on outskating and out passing their opponents. He kind of hinted during his last few interviews that Colorado was an influence on the direction he wants to take the team. Of course, Colorado was greatly enhanced by picking 1st overall and getting three top 3 picks in a rapid amount of time...

At the very least, even if it doesn't work, the team might be exciting to watch in the future... Not the pick I was hoping for, but he sounds interesting...
Vilardi, Kaliyev, and now this guy all have skating issues.

Reactions: HookKing

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Vilardi, Kaliyev, and now this guy all have skating issues.
Seems like there isn't a consensus on his skating: 2022 NHL Draft prospect profile: Jack Hughes has made a name for himself

His calling card is his speed. His skating and ability to handle the puck with speed is what has him in the conversation in the draft’s top two rounds. The issue is that it hasn’t been something that he has shown consistently. The ability to make those kinds of plays makes him projectable and provides him with plenty of upside, but he will have to improve his consistency to become a top-six player at the professional level.

While Hughes is not the fastest player, his skating is still very good. His top-end speed is not a liability and he can keep up with the play, but it isn’t really an asset either. He isn’t one to blow past a defenceman and drive the net or generate breakaway opportunities with his speed. Hughes does have a good first few steps and acceleration though. Over a short distance, he can quickly speed up and create space from a defender. Hughes has outstanding edge work and agility though. He is able to gain speed and power out of his turns. He is also able to create shooting and passing lanes with a quick move.

Hughes is willing to be involved in the dirty areas of the ice, battling on the boards and in front of the net. However, his lack of size and strength is an issue as he can be pushed off the puck and overpowered by bigger opponents.

Hughes is a prospect I’ve liked whenever I’ve watched him play over the last three seasons. He makes his linemates better and does a great job manufacturing shots and chances for himself (which I’d insist he has always done even when his production skewed toward the assist column at the program). I see a diligent two-way centre who skates well enough (this quality is underrated by some, I’d argue), possesses excellent hands, has a great deal of poise and vision under pressure, and thrives as a distributor (especially finding backdoor options). He doesn’t have star power, but I won’t be surprised if he becomes a heady, playmaking pivot who knows where to be and how to use the ice in order to reach his middle-six upside in the NHL. I expect him to take a step and produce more as a sophomore. The skill is there.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Sounds like Caufield bait. Turcotte and the other guys kid to rectify the miss in 2019 upcoming.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Cool blurb here: The other Jack Hughes, the Kings' second-round pick, is coming into his own
Riley Hughes, a junior at Northeastern, said he always knew Jack was skilled enough to play NCAA, but wondered how his brother’s 6-foot, 169-pound frame would hold up against players many years older. Riley, sidelined several games by injury this season, was able to watch Jack as both a teammate and as a fan in the stands. He remembers one instance where Jack was lining up for a faceoff against a player eight years his senior.

“I was like, ‘Oh my God, this shouldn’t be allowed,” said Riley, a seventh-round pick of the New York Rangers in 2018. “Jack didn’t give a shit, the guy was shoving him and he was shoving back. That was the biggest thing I realized — I knew he had the hockey IQ and skill to play — I just didn’t know that he had that courage and that, ‘I don’t give a shit mentality.'”

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
This was the range I thought he'd go in, problem was I wouldn't have taken Hughes ahead of Hutson or Goyette. Also, every late birthday who goes into the NCAA in their DY and puts up the level of production that Hughes did tends to have a Riley Sheahan ceiling. Not inspiring.

We'll see what happens, Yannetti said Hughes needs a big year to earn an ELC

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad