Pre-Game Talk: Kings @ Leafs, Wednesday Oct, 16, 7:30 pm EST

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
They give JT way too much respect in this organization.
We need to move on from JT.
This organization can't be trusted to sign a reasonable deal.

Jersey sales > winning a cup - o-meter

4 levels of increasing level of "want to win a cup"
jersey sales are the goal - re-up Marner and Tavares
kinda care about the cup - move on from one of MM and JT
moderate level of care about the cup - move on from MM, lowball JT
actually care about fans / cup - move on from both.

Reactions: arso40

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We need to move on from JT.
This organization can't be trusted to sign a reasonable deal.

Jersey sales > winning a cup - o-meter

4 levels of increasing level of "want to win a cup"
jersey sales are the goal - re-up Marner and Tavares
kinda care about the cup - move on from one of MM and JT
moderate level of care about the cup - move on from MM, lowball JT
actually care about fans / cup - move on from both.

And you replace him with? Granlund? Gourde? This makes us better?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
It's hard isn't it. People with grudges want to derail every post into discussions about getting rid or JT, Marner, Lilly.... But sure, I won't respond further to their silliness.
These talking points are getting tired for sure. Regarding the PP, JT is on the top unit because he has a good shot and release (he just showed it the other night). However his role is misused, he should be in the bumper position kind of like Kadri was from a few years ago, that way you are not depending on him too much to make plays or hold onto the puck too much and he can just take quick touches or capitalize on rebounds that come his way.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I've used the 'Ignore Thread' feature for the first time because of this..., but it just keeps spreading like COVID lol
It's just that they post the same garbage every day, in every thread.
WTF does a GDT thread have to do with re-signing players or how the playoffs will suck 6 months from now?
It would be great if we could just have one thread that could be free of the idiocy but that seems too big an ask.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
These talking points are getting tired for sure. Regarding the PP, JT is on the top unit because he has a good shot and release (he just showed it the other night). However his role is misused, he should be in the bumper position kind of like Kadri was from a few years ago, that way you are not depending on him too much to make plays or hold onto the puck too much and he can just take quick touches or capitalize on rebounds that come his way.

I think such talking points about, where they should be played on the PP, etc.. are completely legit. Berube seems to be adapting on the fly, and is working on the PP in practice. There is too much talent in the group, to not find a way for them to work together, so I'm confident in time they'll come up with a plan, and lineup to maximize success. We don't need to talk about dumping players in every thread though.

Reactions: 1specter

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Hopefully they swap Holmberg and Domi, I like Holmberg quite a lot actually but 2nd line wing is not where he needs to be.

That guy is a pure bottom 6 forward, a good one, one that I like a lot but he's got no business on the 2nd line.

It does provide some balance, and both lines end up being pretty good though. I don't disagree that the second line might be more offensive with Domi, but having it like this, the third line improves some offensively, and the second line is better defensively this way.

Reactions: Buds17

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It does provide some balance, and both lines end up being pretty good though. I don't disagree that the second line might be more offensive with Domi, but having it like this, the third line improves some offensively, and the second line is better defensively this way.

I won't lie part of me wants to see Domi-Tavares-Robertson

I feel like the 2nd line might struggle with Holmberg there.

He does a lot of good things but the offense is extremely limited.

But Domi-Tavares-Robertson there is A LOT of skill there.

Reactions: Roo

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Interesting that Nylander is missing. Hopefully he didn’t catch what JT had.
""

I won't lie part of me wants to see Domi-Tavares-Robertson

I feel like the 2nd line might struggle with Holmberg there.

He does a lot of good things but the offense is extremely limited.

But Domi-Tavares-Robertson there is A LOT of skill there.

Keep in mind, lines in practice, and starting lineup, doesn't set the lines in stone for the whole game. If something isn't working, there will be adjustments.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
And you replace him with? Granlund? Gourde? This makes us better?
(1) Addition by Subtraction.

(2) You are allowed to trade for other players.

The cap space will be unused until we find a suitable way to spend the money.

If you are signing Tavares, what is the AAV and term ?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
(1) Addition by Subtraction.

(2) You are allowed to trade for other players.

The cap space will be unused until we find a suitable way to spend the money.

If you are signing Tavares, what is the AAV and term ?

nvm... lost which thread I was in.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Addition by Subtraction isn't a thing... at all. Taking a good player and removing them, and replacing them with... say Holmberg at 2C, with Kampf as 3C, and Minten at 4C does not make this a better team, nor is it even close.

Sure, we can trade for other players. Which teams are potentially selling 2C's, and have the capacity to do so? Usually it's non-playoff teams, selling their UFA's, or soon to be UFA's. Or rebuilding teams, selling off older assets. There isn't very much quality there at all.

I'm looking at $3-4 mil for Tavares. Probably 4 years max.

Personally, I would have preferred to move Marner this past offseason, in a deal that opened up cap room, and gave us assets that would have either been a draft pick, or prospect young player for a 2C. The trade I would have wanted the most, would have been to Seattle for their first, and Wright. We could have drafted Catton like they did, another C, or Dickinson/Silayev/Parekh.

I don't think we really have much in the way of attractive assets, to really find another quality potential 2C.
Couldn't help yourself, eh? :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I don’t like JT on the top unit

Rather Robertson, mcmann, knies, hell I’d rather have anyone

He can’t keep up

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I think such talking points about, where they should be played on the PP, etc.. are completely legit. Berube seems to be adapting on the fly, and is working on the PP in practice. There is too much talent in the group, to not find a way for them to work together, so I'm confident in time they'll come up with a plan, and lineup to maximize success. We don't need to talk about dumping players in every thread though.
Yeah I specifically meant the constant "this guy sucks move him" that we've seen for years. It's one thing when its Timmins who can be easily swapped for Liljegren, Myers etc, but calling JT, Mitch and Mo shit and asking for them to be off the team is just pointless now especially since a move like that wouldn't even possibly happen before the off-season anyways.

Reactions: Fogelhund

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Lost which thread I was in... jeez
Yeah it's pretty much a free for all these days, thread topics are meaningless.
Squirrels can turn any thread into a Tavares, Marner, Playoffs whine fest.
Pretty selfish, IMO.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad