Pre-Game Talk: Kings @ Leafs, Wednesday Oct, 16, 7:30 pm EST

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
He at least looks better than Timmins. And besides, it's better if he playing trade wise. Short term win/win.
How does he look better than Timmins when he hasn't even played yet? He couldn't even make the team in pre-season playing against non NHL players and people some how think he's going to come in and be able to do it now?

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
How does he look better than Timmins when he hasn't even played yet? He couldn't even make the team in pre-season playing against non NHL players and people some how think he's going to come in and be able to do it now?

It's not a win/win because if he comes in and plays horrible like he most likely will his value declines even more....

I mean Bobby McMann "couldn't even make the team in pre-season" either and I don't want to dump him.

Why would Liljegren most likely play horrible when he's played well for the majority of his career? For his career 5v5, over 3000 minutes, the Leafs have outscored the opposition 150-116 when he's been on the ice and have dominated scoring chances. He'll be playing on a relatively sheltered 3rd line as the top 4 has been excellent so far. It's far more likely he continues to be a good player in soft minutes. He also scored at a 34 point pace last year which was pretty solid.

I get that there always has to be a whipping boy that is destroying this teams chances but the narrative around Liljegren since pre-season has been so bizarre. Berube didn't like his camp over a couple weeks so suddenly he's useless despite years of solid play.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
I mean Bobby McMann "couldn't even make the team in pre-season" either and I don't want to dump him.

Why would Liljegren most likely play horrible when he's played well for the majority of his career? For his career 5v5, over 3000 minutes, the Leafs have outscored the opposition 150-116 when he's been on the ice and have dominated scoring chances. He'll be playing on a relatively sheltered 3rd line as the top 4 has been excellent so far. It's far more likely he continues to be a good player in soft minutes. He also scored at a 34 point pace last year which was pretty solid.

I get that there always has to be a whipping boy that is destroying this teams chances but the narrative around Liljegren since pre-season has been so bizarre. Berube didn't like his camp over a couple weeks so suddenly he's useless despite years of solid play.
Everyone on the team has good regular season stats... try again. He's not a "whipping boy" people are "whipping" him because everyone can see that he just isn't that good, people have eyes. Let's not even get into playoff Liljegren when he's even worse, when teams are actually trying and his game falls off a cliff.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Only three games, but we lead the league defensively in expected goals against. Good omen anyways.

It's only been three games so all stats need to be taken with a grain of salt but we're spending less time in the defensive zone while 5v5.

So far this season at 5v5, we're only in the D zone 38.2% (which is in the 84 percentile) of the time while last season that number was 40.4% (56 percentile).

It seems like our defense is doing a better job of moving the puck which was a concern last year and our breakouts have looked cleaner.

Screenshot (1557).png

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Everyone on the team has good regular season stats... try again. He's not a "whipping boy" people are "whipping" him because everyone can see that he just isn't that good, people have eyes. Let's not even get into playoff Liljegren when he's even worse, when teams are actually trying and his game falls off a cliff.

Playoffs? We're three games into the season. I think if Hakanpaa is healthy he's probably playing in that spot for the playoffs. Right now we should be focused on winning the division, Liljegren is just better than Timmons regardless of what your eyes think. And playing him on the 3rd pair where he's had a history of good play will only increase his trade value.

Reactions: Sypher04 and arso40

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Is Jeannot going to be looking for a re-match with Reaves after Reaves knocked him out of the Tampa line up for a couple games?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

He played the first preseason game then was nursing an injury and didn’t play again until the last game where he played with essentially no NHLers. He was mostly just behind because Timmins actually played and got to build an impression with Berube that Liljegren didn’t. Once Liljegren is up to speed and it sounds like his practices have been really good, there really very little debate that he should play over Timmins.

I can potentially see why we’d move on from him at 3M, but as long as he is healthy and still a Leaf he’s one of our best 6 D.

Reactions: arso40

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Only three games, but we lead the league defensively in expected goals against. Good omen anyways.
The team playing simpler hockey helps. Make a play when you can, but when there's no play, get the puck in deep. That's been the biggest thing I notice, they no longer are getting caught up ice and the puck coming back quickly.

Now time to work on the PK (hasn't been bad, even though we have given up a powerplay goal everygame so far, they have taken far too many pens in 3 games). and PP

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
The team playing simpler hockey helps. Make a play when you can, but when there's no play, get the puck in deep. That's been the biggest thing I notice, they no longer are getting caught up ice and the puck coming back quickly.

Now time to work on the PK (hasn't been bad, even though we have given up a powerplay goal everygame so far, they have taken far too many pens in 3 games). and PP
We have also reduced the incessant regrouping and passing in our own zone before we attach. I feel that helps as well since we are out of our d zone quicker and once the forwards are fully adjusted we'll be attacking quicker too!

myleafs

May 25, 2021

Lily always gets hurt just when he seems to be establishing himself as a regular which then sets him back, but when he is healthy I don't mind him one bit. Hate the whipping boy and scapegoat comments, just feels like the leafs pr teams agenda.

Reactions: arso40

Ad

Upcoming events

• Kosovo vs Cyprus
    Kosovo vs Cyprus
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $725.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lithuania vs Romania
    Lithuania vs Romania
    Wagers: 3