Value of: Kevin Hayes to Toronto (Draft)

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Curious as to what Toronto might be willing to give up for Kevin Hayes after the season is over. With Bozak becoming an UFA, unless he is re-signed, there is a need for a middle 6 center on the roster. The Rangers are re-building and have young centers coming up and fill-in-the-gap players (Spooner and Namestnikov) for the short term. Hayes probably wants a longer term deal (4-5 years).

I could see the Leafs attempting to begin the season with Gauthier up and playing 3rd line minutes, but if they aren't keen on that (I'm not aware of this), what could a logical offer for Hayes be?

With extra cap space available, I'd be willing to take on the Matt Martin deal (2 years at 2.5M per) in the deal to get another asset in return.

With our gluttony of picks this draft, I'd be open to 2019 picks, and of course prospects in the Toronto system already.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Curious as to what Toronto might be willing to give up for Kevin Hayes after the season is over. With Bozak becoming an UFA, unless he is re-signed, there is a need for a middle 6 center on the roster. The Rangers are re-building and have young centers coming up and fill-in-the-gap players (Spooner and Namestnikov) for the short term. Hayes probably wants a longer term deal (4-5 years).

I could see the Leafs attempting to begin the season with Gauthier up and playing 3rd line minutes, but if they aren't keen on that (I'm not aware of this), what could a logical offer for Hayes be?

With extra cap space available, I'd be willing to take on the Matt Martin deal (2 years at 2.5M per) in the deal to get another asset in return.

With our gluttony of picks this draft, I'd be open to 2019 picks, and of course prospects in the Toronto system already.

Probably not enough to get the Rangers interested....1st, Liljegren, Dermott would be off limits.

Maybe something around Korshkov, Grundstrom, Bracco, Rasanen, 2nd in combination....rights to JVR if you guys are interested, some combination thereof.

I think we'd have more interest in a UFA Thornton, Tavares....resigning Pleks perhaps....and Hayes is right there with guys like Anisimov for us, IMO, luxuries more than anything. Outside chance we resign Bozak as well...

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I’d keep Hayes imo he’s the only actual matchup center we have. Gonna need that especially when trying to get a bunch of kid centers into the league.

Reactions: belford222

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
1st, Liljegren, Dermott would be off limits.

I didn't think these assets would be available anyway. Maybe the 1st, but the others were off limits. With Hayes being 1 year from UFA, I didn't think these were possible.

Korshkov, Grundstrom, Bracco, Rasanen, 2nd in combination

Would love Bracco to be part of it. He fills a need as a point producing wing prospect. We also have almost no RH shot forwards, so I'd like him over Grundstrom.

UFA Thornton, Tavares....resigning Pleks perhaps

Obviously this is something to explore first. Maybe after free agency if these guys do not join the Leafs and Bozak goes elsewhere?

Hayes for Bracco, 2019 2nd, and 2020 conditional 4th (Hayes is on the Leafs roster as of July 1 2019, otherwise it becomes 2020 5th)?

Reactions: TML1967

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Who exactly is going to play hockey for us if you trade everyone? There is no point in drafting all these kids and rushing them into the league before they are ready. I would keep Hayes at least to see what he would be worth at the deadline.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I didn't think these assets would be available anyway. Maybe the 1st, but the others were off limits. With Hayes being 1 year from UFA, I didn't think these were possible.

Would love Bracco to be part of it. He fills a need as a point producing wing prospect. We also have almost no RH shot forwards, so I'd like him over Grundstrom.

Obviously this is something to explore first. Maybe after free agency if these guys do not join the Leafs and Bozak goes elsewhere?

Hayes for Bracco, 2019 2nd, and 2020 conditional 4th (Hayes is on the Leafs roster as of July 1 2019, otherwise it becomes 2020 5th)?

I'd do the deal you proposed, quite easily...we'd probably have to add one more prospect on top of that.....maybe a Carrick, Leivo or something thereof.

With Bracco, he's polarizing because he has a ton of talent....great playmaker, great vision, has that Skinner-esque sideways skating style (but not exactly the acceleration or speed to match).....but he's undersized and right now, a bit soft. He has the talent to drive a line in the NHL sometime but he is still a work in progress. Guys like Grundstrom are much higher floor guys, competitive, and almost a lock to be a middle 6, all-situations guy. Truth be told though, for a guy like Bracco, there is a greater chance with guys like him, historically, that he doesn't make the league as a top 6 than not. I'm optimistic because the Marlies have been a prospect factory of late with how guys are being developed...it's kind of the same with Tampa....Syracuse and the Marlies are two consistently good AHL teams

If I'm the Rangers I'd probably target Johnsson instead. By my books, he is probably our top prospect after Liljegren and easily the most furthest along of any prospect...if it weren't for our depth up front and some of Babcock's love for veterans, there's nothing more he could do to not be on an NHL roster. He's older, but he's already dominating the AHL (no overstatement) and performed more than admirably at the SHL....who knows if that translates to the NHL level but he does everything well, scores, can play in all-situations, he's fast, a lot faster than Bracco.....he's pretty much the model prospect you put in your system and develop into a high-quality player....Bracco may be more talented at the same age, as a playmaker, but he's still got to put in the work to get there.

Reactions: BerlinBlueShirt

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I'd do the deal you proposed, quite easily...we'd probably have to add one more prospect on top of that.....maybe a Carrick, Leivo or something thereof.

With Bracco, he's polarizing because he has a ton of talent....great playmaker, great vision, has that Skinner-esque sideways skating style (but not exactly the acceleration or speed to match).....but he's undersized and right now, a bit soft. He has the talent to drive a line in the NHL sometime but he is still a work in progress. Guys like Grundstrom are much higher floor guys, competitive, and almost a lock to be a middle 6, all-situations guy. Truth be told though, for a guy like Bracco, there is a greater chance with guys like him, historically, that he doesn't make the league as a top 6 than not.

If I'm the Rangers I'd probably target Johnsson instead. By my books, he is probably our top prospect after Liljegren and easily the most furthest along of any prospect...if it weren't for our depth up front and some of Babcock's love for veterans, there's nothing more he could do to not be on an NHL roster. He's older, but he's already dominating the AHL (no overstatement) and performed more than admirably at the SHL....who knows if that translates to the NHL level but he does everything well, scores, can play in all-situations, he's fast, a lot faster than Bracco.....he's pretty much the model prospect you put in your system and develop into a high-quality player....Bracco may be more talented at the same age, as a playmaker, but he's still got to put in the work to get there.
carrick and leivo are not prospects.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
With Bracco, he's polarizing because he has a ton of talent....great playmaker, great vision, has that Skinner-esque sideways skating style (but not exactly the acceleration or speed to match)

This is why I'm all for going after him than most other prospects that you brought up. The Rangers lived off of guys who were middle of the lineup, all situation players. Those players are important, but what this team has lacked is game-breaking talent. He has the ability to become that. I'm taking a swing that he could come up after another year in the AHL and develop into something more than a 2nd liner.

As for another small add, I'd be in it for Leivo. Never gets a chance in Toronto. I'd be willing to take him and let him role on our 3rd line next season and see what happens after 82 games. We're at a void on wing to begin with, playing the likes of Paul Carey and Cody McLeod on our 4th line and Jesper Fast in our top 9 right now. We also don't have much coming on the wing next season.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
No chance Gauthier gets a shot on the 3rd line.

As for Kevin Hayes, a 2nd and a prospect like Adam Brooks or Andrew Neilsen is the most I could stomach being given up.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014

I would do a 1st for him but not much else... Maybe a B prospect or a 3rd/4th

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

People will tell you that we will just move Nylander to center, I don't think that is going, I personally think they will take another run at Joe Thornton, if he hits UFA because we know for a fact they did last year, However I want to know what you would want as a ranger fan because I feel like it would be more productive for this discussion for you to say what you'd want and for us to make an offer based on that.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
This is why I'm all for going after him than most other prospects that you brought up. The Rangers lived off of guys who were middle of the lineup, all situation players. Those players are important, but what this team has lacked is game-breaking talent. He has the ability to become that. I'm taking a swing that he could come up after another year in the AHL and develop into something more than a 2nd liner.

As for another small add, I'd be in it for Leivo. Never gets a chance in Toronto. I'd be willing to take him and let him role on our 3rd line next season and see what happens after 82 games. We're at a void on wing to begin with, playing the likes of Paul Carey and Cody McLeod on our 4th line and Jesper Fast in our top 9 right now. We also don't have much coming on the wing next season.

Makes sense...yea Bracco is that prototypical boom guy who has such a unorthodox, tough-to gauge/teach skating style that is fun to watch. He picks up speed and skates on his side, as fast as any prospect I've seen skating..it makes him incredibly difficult to read.....having watched him in junior, you can't really tell what he's doing sometimes.

The funny thing is with Bracco and his ceiling being a guy that can drive a line....I think Hayes is the type of C (short of a higher-end guy), you probably want to pair him up with.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I'm on the side that doesn't feel Bracco will ever be a full time NHL player. Well, one that's needed in the line-up. If I'm trading Hayes, Bracco isn't the guy I'm targeting. If we were trading Hayes today, I'd want a late first round pick. Hayes, was not producing as many points this season has been one of our better players, and our go-to player against other teams top lines.

Reactions: belford222

member 147413

I don’t know much about Hayes or his perceived value.

How does he play? Where does he excel?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Hayes has really done great this year. He’s molded into a shutdown C. He was on pace for 50+ last year and is on pace for 41 this year although I wouldn’t put too much thought into his point totals, we’re a mess this year. He’s better than he ever was and I think going forward we have a solid 2C in him who can shutdown lines and chip in 45-50 consitently. Will likely be moved soon because our depth at C
Chytil
Andersson
Zibanejad (likely moved to wing)
Howden
Nieves
Whatever you do, do NOT play Hayes on the wing, he’s horrible there. I’d wait to see if Chytil/Lias/Howden meet expectations before moving him though, he can handle the tough lines instead of giving them to Andersson/Howden. He was notorious for making stupid plays consitently in recent years but he’s cleaned that up and has looked much more engaged.

I want a pick earlier than 20 if we’re trading him, if we trade him now we’re stupid. Our NHL C’s other than Hayes are Zibanejad and DD.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
yeah, I think Zib will be moved to wing as well when Chytil & Lias is called up, and our defense will probably improve, because Lias is a very good 2 way player and defensive responsible at his young age. I admit I`m not too fond to move Hayes at the moment to Toronto, because I like him to be part of the team next year.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Probably not enough to get the Rangers interested....1st, Liljegren, Dermott would be off limits.

Maybe something around Korshkov, Grundstrom, Bracco, Rasanen, 2nd in combination....rights to JVR if you guys are interested, some combination thereof.

I think we'd have more interest in a UFA Thornton, Tavares....resigning Pleks perhaps....and Hayes is right there with guys like Anisimov for us, IMO, luxuries more than anything. Outside chance we resign Bozak as well...

I’d keep Hayes imo he’s the only actual matchup center we have. Gonna need that especially when trying to get a bunch of kid centers into the league.

Hayes has really done great this year. He’s molded into a shutdown C. He was on pace for 50+ last year and is on pace for 41 this year although I wouldn’t put too much thought into his point totals, we’re a mess this year. He’s better than he ever was and I think going forward we have a solid 2C in him who can shutdown lines and chip in 45-50 consitently. Will likely be moved soon because our depth at C
Chytil
Andersson
Zibanejad (likely moved to wing)
Howden
Nieves
Whatever you do, do NOT play Hayes on the wing, he’s horrible there. I’d wait to see if Chytil/Lias/Howden meet expectations before moving him though, he can handle the tough lines instead of giving them to Andersson/Howden. He was notorious for making stupid plays consitently in recent years but he’s cleaned that up and has looked much more engaged.

I want a pick earlier than 20 if we’re trading him, if we trade him now we’re stupid. Our NHL C’s other than Hayes are Zibanejad and DD.

Hayes should not be traded unless someone stupid overpays.
Big Cs with speed do not grow on trees, and he is still good $ for what he delivers. lock up long term, reasonable NTC, keep until that overpay comes.
No need to move, some of our guys [Zib] get dealt or play W.

The assets discussed above from TML are not even close for Hayes.

reasonable idea, not a good time for it, and pass as to Tor given above.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Hayes has been very good this year in a defensive role, and his offense has really picked up of late with 11 points in his last 10 games.

Spooner and Namestnikov are going to be looking for similar deals. Small samples sizes from both do not make Hayes expendable. Either of them can play the wing as well, where we will need help with Nash and Grabner gone, and Zucc possibly gone too.

Hayes' contract won't be an issue. A 5 year deal would take him to age 31. There's no reason for us to trade him unless there is a younger, better center coming back in the deal.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
No chance Gauthier gets a shot on the 3rd line.

As for Kevin Hayes, a 2nd and a prospect like Adam Brooks or Andrew Neilsen is the most I could stomach being given up.

id do 2nd bracco in a heartbeat IF they decide they needed hayes. Nielsen is a nothing prospect so you are hoping for another team to have never seen him and brooks to is a huge long shot. Bracco is skilled enough to be tantalizing but also a player who will never play outside of top6 in the NHL, he will get eaten alive on the 4th line so babs would never use him there. Bracco is yet another right wing competing with Nylander and Marner even Kapanen and Brown, Kapanen and brown are far more versatile

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
id do 2nd bracco in a heartbeat IF they decide they needed hayes. Nielsen is a nothing prospect so you are hoping for another team to have never seen him and brooks to is a huge long shot. Bracco is skilled enough to be tantalizing but also a player who will never play outside of top6 in the NHL, he will get eaten alive on the 4th line so babs would never use him there. Bracco is yet another right wing competing with Nylander and Marner even Kapanen and Brown, Kapanen and brown are far more versatile
i wouldnt do 1st+Bracco

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
i wouldnt do 1st+Bracco

no no, I was countering the other leafs fans idea of worse prospect and a 2nd, I wasn't saying NYR should take that. IMO though im not sure our offer would get much higher than that unfortunately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad