Confirmed with Link: Kevin Hayes to Pens

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
The Blues just did what the Pens should do and traded a 4th for Texier, but no, we have to take their older, outdated, slower model for 2 more years who costs more.

Sometimes moves are not worth the risk, But you people say it's a free 2nd....
when we package that2nd with our first next year to get a top five pick you'all we be happy, well almost all.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
On the topic of D zone starts, I was looking at Carter's numbers and holy shit. Career average of 41% Dzone starts. His last two years here.... 73% and 78%. Jesus Christ Sullivan is just something else

Acciari with 87% Dzone starts. No wonder he scored like 4 points

Reactions: wizmet12 and Trade

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I'm a big believer in just giving more O-zone starts to whoever's going on a particular day.
If Malkin's line is ghosting, don't give them 70% O-zone starts for the game. Let there be some accountability.

For example last year when we had that brief spell where DOC-Eller-Z was on fire, that is where you reward them.
I can't disagree with that. After the first period give to it hot the land.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
On the topic of D zone starts, I was looking at Carter's numbers and holy shit. Career average of 41% Dzone starts. His last two years here.... 73% and 78%. Jesus Christ Sullivan is just something else

Yeah I saw something last year on twitter that showed the only team that started their bottom six more in the D zone were the Caps. Who also had difficulty with bottom six scoring.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Doesn't look like Hayes pk'd last year. His faceoff % increased a bunch though and his Dzone starts went down quite a bit, and he generally gave up way less goals/had a pretty high on ice save%.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017

It just hit me. We won the Cups in spite of Sullivan. Sullivan's true goal is payback for Ulf's hit on Cam. He's come to destroy the Pens from within.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
It is quite hilarious how everyone was saying I was a complete moron for suggesting Walman and Mikheyev for a 2nd and now this is the type of move we needed to make.
Well, obviously there's a difference between someone offering you cake and you declining, and them simply placing a piece of cake in front of you. You're much less likely to reject it then.

Nonetheless, there are a couple of differences between Hayes and Walman or Mikheyev.

1) Hayes fits a need on the team, and the team is better on paper at this moment. It's fine if you (or someone else) really thinks Ponomarev is ready to be an NHLer in Game 1, and disagree that Hayes is better, but it hedges our bets in case Pono isn't ready yet.

2) If none of these three players improves this season, Hayes will have the most trade value next offseason, as he is a center. There's also the tiniest of possibilities that a team who misses out on a center in free agency might circle around to Hayes, as there are never enough centers in the NHL. I'm not saying it would happen, but the chances are more than 0%.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
It just hit me. We won the Cups in spite of Sullivan. Sullivan's true goal is payback for Ulf's hit on Cam. He's come to destroy the Pens from within.
We won 2016 because of him and the trades, we won 2017 in spite of him. We played a completely different game in 2017, and he thinks it was all him so he's doubled down on the things that he thought won it like collapsing to our net (hint hint, it was actually just lucking out on insane runs from Sid, Guentzel etc, injuries to key opposing players, i.e. luck, and insane goaltending, i.e. also luck).

Re Hayes, yeah not the sort of move a contender makes but whatever, we're not one and won't be for a long time. We don't play a speed game so who knows, maybe it works out and free 2nd too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I'm not sure how anyone could be complaining about this trade.

He's not making an absurd amount of money, $3.5M for 2 years. The best case scenario is he has a season like he did in 2022-2023 and we trade him for more draft capital or keep him for another season as our third line center.

We get a free 2nd round pick for next season and we strengthen our depth at center. Ponomarev is 22, it's not like he's a 26 year old being blocked from coming up and contributing. This is a good move. This is something Yzerman would do and I'm all for it. Low risk, high reward.

The Yzerman piece 😝😝. Why some people think he’s this incredible GM, I’ll never understand.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Kevin Hayes is from Boston lol. This is a Sullivan move isn't it. Might as well rename this team to the Boston Sullivans.

That said nothing wrong with the free 2nd round pick. Just don't want to see any of the young guys blocked.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017

Our netfront presence is solved, boys

Boggles my mind a little he only has 29 career power play goals in 10 seasons at that size. And only scored more than 5 or more pp goals in a season twice- 6 both times.
Maybe because it takes him a whole period to skate to the other teams net? He can fill in when Iceburgh is sick, just call him Iceberg.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Boggles my mind a little he only has 29 career power play goals in 10 seasons at that size. And only scored more than 5 or more pp goals in a season twice- 6 both times.
Maybe because it takes him a whole period to skate to the other teams net? He can fill in when Iceburgh is sick, just call him Iceberg.

It's because he isn't good.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The more I think about it, the more I hate this trade. You finally rid a huge mistake with Carter, after 2 years of absolute failure and you double down and basically get another Carter with a similar contract for 2 more years.

And just like Carter, Hayes will play through long droughts, block young players slow down the team, all the while having received goo goo eyes from blockhead Sully .

Reactions: Andy99

Sideline

May 23, 2004
The more I think about it, the more I hate this trade. You finally rid a huge mistake with Carter, after 2 years of absolute failure and you double down and basically get another Carter with a similar contract for 2 more years.

And just like Carter, Hayes will play through long droughts, block young players slow down the team, all the while having received goo goo eyes from blockhead Sully .
I am by no means defending the value of Kevin Hayes as an on ice contributor, but let's no whitewash how bad Carter's contract was. Carter was a 35+ with a full NMC. Hayes only has a 12 team no trade list.

You can bury Hayes in the minors if he is awful or even trade him just like St. Louis did if you can't bear 2.5MM of dead cap while he rides buses. You literally could not remove Jeff Carter from the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad