Confirmed with Link: Kevin Hayes 5: signs 7 years, $50M

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
So what do we learn about Hayes?

He is slow.
He is good on the PK (but the PK suck nevertheless)
He isnt a leader on the ice (is playing bad when the team plays bad)
He isnt captain material (no interviews or outstanding perfomances in the hardest time of the last 10 year)
He doesnt make linemates better (most linemates are far worse with him on the ice)
He is funny in the locker room.
He has won 49% of his Faceoffs but Giroux 59% and Couts 56 %. But Hayes got 55,4 % Ozone starts! 50% for G and Couts! Telling....
He slowed down in the most important part of the season
He is costing a lot!

For me this feels like a 3rd line center with bad Faceoff ability.

This feels like Scott Laughton with a funny attitude!

Bad signing!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually Hayes will be fine on the wing (can play both sides), he can do the zone entry thing as good as Voracek (leading with their butts), at wing he doesn't have to run the show and you do a lot less skating getting back (center in this system has to skate 200 feet, wings more to the blue line since the D-men are their responsibility on defense). Hayes has a plus shot even if he didn't have much puck luck this season. And as a wing, he gives you a FO option when the center is ejected.

He probably won't be worth $7M on a flat cap, anymore than Voracek is worth $8.25M, but he won't be an anchor, either.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Actually Hayes will be fine on the wing (can play both sides), he can do the zone entry thing as good as Voracek (leading with their butts), at wing he doesn't have to run the show and you do a lot less skating getting back (center in this system has to skate 200 feet, wings more to the blue line since the D-men are their responsibility on defense). Hayes has a plus shot even if he didn't have much puck luck this season. And as a wing, he gives you a FO option when the center is ejected.

He probably won't be worth $7M on a flat cap, anymore than Voracek is worth $8.25M, but he won't be an anchor, either.
I hope you are right. Can you imagine this team in 2 years Voracek and Hayes still on the books, a re-signed G and Couts (massive), all well into their 30's (except) and supposedly we are going after another big fish. Imagine then if Hart reverts back to form. How are you going to re-sign him?

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I hope you are right. Can you imagine this team in 2 years Voracek and Hayes still on the books, a re-signed G and Couts (massive), all well into their 30's (except) and supposedly we are going after another big fish. Imagine then if Hart reverts back to form. How are you going to re-sign him?
Fletcher has never really traded for offensive help so I'm not really thinking there's a chance he will go after Eichel or even someone like Gaudreau or Tkachuk. We will sign character guys. Maybe help out another team and take Killorn or some shit.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
agreed.

What we need to do is trade away ALL our top point producers. Then we can start winning.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd reserve judgment, Hayes had a revolving door of wingers and some really bad on-ice Sh% (i.e. linemates weren't scoring, which kills your assists).
And we don't know if he played through injury b/c they lacked options at center (having minor surgery).

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Kevin Hayes. Apparely good on the PK because of some SHG last season. Got it.

One of the less mentioned storylines this season was Hayes' PK time.

2019-2020:
2:01 minutes/game (2nd -- 2 seconds behind Couturier)

2020-2021:
January: 2:18 minutes/game (1st)
Feb-March: 1:12 minutes (4th)
April-May: 0:55 minutes (5th)

No forward in similar minutes was on the ice for more GA/60 in the league so......blame the young players.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015

2019-2020:

2020-2021:

No forward in similar minutes was on the ice for more GA/60 in the league so......blame the young players.

giphy.webp

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

2019-2020:

2020-2021:

Magua I sont knownof you know this or not, but the team was dealing with covid circumstances. You can't expect him to maintain regular performance with all the stuff going on in the world.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

2019-2020:

2020-2021:

A player who is an average to sub average short area skater and who routinely makes poor mental reads in the defensive end that he then covers up for with his length is poor on the PK. I'm shocked, totally shocked.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
A player who is an average to sub average short area skater and who routinely makes poor mental reads in the defensive end that he then covers up for with his length is poor on the PK. I'm shocked, totally shocked.

Except he was solid last season, and his scoring this year was well below his career norm, though his xGF/60 was actually better than Voracek.
Unless you think he's falling off the cliff at 28, odds are there's something contributing to an off season, and odds are he'll rebound next year.
And if he is paired with Farabee and Allison, he'll probably have a big jump in scoring and his On-Ice Sh%.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Except he was solid last season, and his scoring this year was well below his career norm, though his xGF/60 was actually better than Voracek.
Unless you think he's falling off the cliff at 28, odds are there's something contributing to an off season, and odds are he'll rebound next year.
And if he is paired with Farabee and Allison, he'll probably have a big jump in scoring and his On-Ice Sh%.

Lolz. Quotes something about the PK. Makes a passing comment about the PK then goes off on a tangent. This is both why you have no credibility and why you are on my Igor Silent list.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
As with most of the players, i'm potentially willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. A low tide lowers all boats. Hayes has to come out swinging next season though, or i'll start to be really worried.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

You've already established that you think Voracek is terrible, so you probably shouldn't be using him as any kind of a positive measuring stick.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You've already established that you think Voracek is terrible, so you probably shouldn't be using him as any kind of a positive measuring stick.

I have never said Voracek is terrible, and you know that, "fake news" is beneath you.
I've just said because of his defensive deficiencies, Voracek isn't worth his contract, compare to G.
Scoring is just one aspect of the game.

People overrate scoring, especially PP scoring.
Since the PP and PK are "mirror images," being a top PK guy should be as valuable as being a top PP guy.

47th PP forward - 5.5 pp/60. PP1
140th PP forward - 3.8 pp/60 PP2
3 minutes a game, 82 games - about 22 points.
2 minutes a game, 15 points
2 minutes a game, PP2, 10 points
1 minute a game, PP2, 5 points

So PP scoring reflects both the quality of the player and opportunity.

PK is harder to measure, let's try GA/60 and xGA/60
30th forward allowed 5.3 G/60, 6.0 xGA/60
90th forward allowed 7.4 G/60, 6.8 xGA/60

2 minutes a game, 14-15 goals v 17-18 goals

The 3-4 goals a year gained with top PK players is similar to top PP players since the 6-9 point gain is equivalent to 2-3 goals a season (2.5 points per goal).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00