Kevin Fiala isn't happy about the system the Kings played...

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Did people actually watch the clip?

He actually gave an analytical reason for his opinion, not some whining that he personally doesn't get more offensive opportunity.

Should he be that candid about it with the media? Perhaps not, but I didn't see it as entitled complaints as much as questioning the viability of the system.

He's not wrong.
60% of HF doesn’t read or watch, they just love jumping to conclusions so some of these comments are not shocking.

Also those calling out his game; sticking him with Lewis and Lizotte, offensive black holes can be debilitating.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Wouldn't he be the laziest player on the team if it weren't for PLD ?
Not even close, really uninformed comment.

Just because he is a skill player with warts, doesn't mean he is lazy. He can struggle with decision making but he has always played with motor.

Did people actually watch the clip?

He actually gave an analytical reason for his opinion, not some whining that he personally doesn't get more offensive opportunity.

Should he be that candid about it with the media? Perhaps not, but I didn't see it as entitled complaints as much as questioning the viability of the system.

He's not wrong.
I thought he was pretty measured, albeit obviously critical. That said, it's not like he trashed the system... he basically just said that there are times when the opponent can take advantage of it and that maybe they would benefit from a more dynamic approach.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
How has McLellan been recycled so many times over the years when he's a poor motivator incapable of adjusting his system.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This isn’t a coaching decision. 1-3-1 is a mandate from management.
May I ask why you say that? I'm not saying that it's wrong--it very well could be true--but is there evidence to suggest it or are you just speculating?

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
May I ask why you say that? I'm not saying that it's wrong--it very well could be true--but is there evidence to suggest it or are you just speculating?
I don’t know for a fact but I’m putting two and two together. We already know from various examples that the management group “manages” by committee. McLellan only became obsessed with the 1-3-1 while he was the Kings coach and now Hiller is the same way.

Reactions: Osprey

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
How has McLellan been recycled so many times over the years when he's a poor motivator incapable of adjusting his system.
He can take a middling roster and instill a system that can get them into the playoffs.

The problem is he doesn't adapt when he's there.

You say this like Dubois's attitude is normal or Alexei Kovalev and Alex Daigle didn't exist.
Kovalev played like Kovalev. He could turn it on once in a while. Which also included the playoffs.

This was game 5 when he did his Guy Lafleur impression:

Also had 9 goals and 21 points enroute to a Stanley Cup.

Reactions: ZJuice

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think the 1-3-1 would be effective if used very intermittently. Like a wrinkle you throw out there once in a while to throw teams off. Not all the time.

Did McLellan use the 1-3-1 in Edmonton? I don’t remember it.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Say what you will about Fiala, but that system sucks. I guess Kopitar and Doughty might find it a nice fit, but the Kings aren't doing the rest of their roster any favors.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Hope Hiller isn't back next season, he's terrible. Kings need to get a real coach to implement a better system. Playing Fiala with Dubois is a waste. Good on paper but Dubois has been trash and deserves to be buried on their 4th line.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He can take a middling roster and instill a system that can get them into the playoffs.

The problem is he doesn't adapt when he's there.

Kovalev played like Kovalev. He could turn it on once in a while. Which also included the playoffs.

This was game 5 when he did his Guy Lafleur impression:

Also had 9 goals and 21 points enroute to a Stanley Cup.

In my viewing, kovalev would consistently show up for the playoffs.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
The 1-3-1 is not inherently bad. It's just bad when you play 1-3-1 an only 1-3-1 even in situations and against teams where 1-3-1 is wrong. The lack of flexibility is the problem. Well...one of problems. The lack of character players and also having no franchise-level core players is also a problem.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I think the Kings use the 1-3-1 well but why use it all the time. Save it for the lead or use it at different points in games. They have some some skilled players on that team, it would be smart to also take advantage of their strengths as well. They play scared to lose instead of trying to win.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
When your GM and his boss agree that the team has gotten better despite losing in fewer games and getting less points in the season, there's not a lot of hope for change. The same team is coming back next season. I wouldn't even be surprised if it's Hiller still. Luc Robitaille actually thinks the Kings were really close to beating the Oilers this year.

• Wow
Reactions: Osprey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad