Kevin Fiala isn't happy about the system the Kings played...

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
Honest question to those who've watched him more than I have, did Fiala buy in and play according to the system most of the time?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Enjoy him and Dubois. 'It'd be fun to play a children's game for millions of dollars a year in California.' The new breed of NHLer is puke worthy.
Oh you're one of those types of people. "Just suck it up" aka being terrified of change or criticism.

Reactions: hui43210

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Why don't they abandon that system?

I don't follow this team by any means (team doesn't interest me at all), but when I look at the roster, it seems to have a considerable amount of talent. Kopitar is getting up there in age but can still produce.

I have watched a number of their games against EDM in the last three playoffs. Obviously whatever they're doing strategically isn't working in the post season. Why not make a change?

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
The Kings system/identity did what it had to do - it made them a playoff team.

But I agree it's time to move on and try something else. When was the last time a team like that won the cup?

I feel like they have to look at what happened in the middle of the year and see that as a big red flag too. That was not a normal dip. React now and come up with something fresh for next year.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Better off with 1-2-2 than 1-3-1. What made Hiller think that 1-3-1 was going to be a good idea against the Oilers? They went right through it, and it didn’t help that LA’s D was terrible.

Kempe specifically mentioned their 1-2-2 as well and it blows my mind how they went away from that after looking so good using it. THAT is a system I could see these personnel using. I

Reactions: Choralone

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Did people actually watch the clip?

He actually gave an analytical reason for his opinion, not some whining that he personally doesn't get more offensive opportunity.

Should he be that candid about it with the media? Perhaps not, but I didn't see it as entitled complaints as much as questioning the viability of the system.

He's not wrong.

People want their cake and eat it too.

There's a reason why players are usually very cliche in their responses. You can't criticize them when they are cliche and then jump on them when they give an interesting quote too.

Reactions: TheDawnOfANewTage

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
People want their cake and eat it too.

There's a reason why players are usually very cliche in their responses. You can't criticize them when they are cliche and then jump on them when they give an interesting quote too.

I think he should shut the f*** up and get pucks deep! Y’know, just gotta play hard, stay outta the box, and stick to their game plan. I despise dissenting opinion, and opinions that do not match my own.

/s.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I don’t know what happened to the mindset over there
naev3ZS.png

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Then go away.

Player voiced opinion. What they did clearly didn’t work. Agree with him, disagree with him, just don’t be weird and paint an entire generation off one guy. Not like there are gonna be fewer of these new generation guys, with their damn answers to questions.
How many times have you heard a player openly question the coaching system and basically directly criticize the coach's ability to make adjustments? It isn't that common.

If you are the Kings you don't want your season to end on a viral clip of one of your star players openly critiquing the coach and painting a target on his back with divisive statements. You want Fiala to own his portion of the loss and say the prepared statements when reporters try to bait him into saying something.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Should've acted like a real man and said "gotta get pucks deep and get pucks on net and good things will happen."
Lot of young talent on that Kings roster and Fiala is a veteran presence. This is a bad look. I want my star players to back the coach and own their portion of the loss after a series like this, not give the poor performers an excuse to hang their hat on for why they don't play as well as they should have.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
How many times have you heard a player openly question the coaching system and basically directly criticize the coach's ability to make adjustments? It isn't that common.

If you are the Kings you don't want your season to end on a viral clip of one of your star players openly critiquing the coach and painting a target on his back with divisive statements. You want Fiala to own his portion of the loss and say the prepared statements when reporters try to bait him into saying something.

So you would rather players sit there and read prepared statements like they're POWs?

Fine but don't complain about them having no personality. His statements were hardly outrageous and this clip isn't even viral on this forum. If an NHL team's coach and management are that fragile, they have much bigger problems.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
Lot of young talent on that Kings roster and Fiala is a veteran presence. This is a bad look. I want my star players to back the coach and own their portion of the loss after a series like this, not give the poor performers an excuse to hang their hat on for why they don't play as well as they should have.
I want my players to do whatever it takes to win

Shutting your mouth and playing a losing system that both fans and players hate ain't it

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
So you would rather players sit there and read prepared statements like they're POWs?
It is called being a professional. Yes, I want the stars to say the right things immediately after a disappointing playoff exit.
Fine but don't complain about them having no personality. His statements were hardly outrageous and this clip isn't even viral on this forum. If an NHL team's coach and management are that fragile, they have much bigger problems.
Lots of exciting personalities in the league that don't throw their coach under the bus immediately after getting spanked in the first round.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017

you're acting like there's accountability in this org

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
It is called being a professional. Yes, I want the stars to say the right things immediately after a disappointing playoff exit.

Lots of exciting personalities in the league that don't throw their coach under the bus immediately after getting spanked in the first round.
Your premise is flawed as you have a very narrow vision of what "the right things" are. I don't think players should be trashing their coach or management in press conferences but this was pretty mild.

Did you watch his whole press conference or are you basing it all on this one small clip?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The 1-3-1 proved to be very effective against several teams.

But it got shredded by McDavid 3 years in a row. hard to see it being useful against Dallas or Colorado.

Montreal went with a 1-1-3 to get to the cup finals (helped having god-mode Carey Price).

Rigid systems play is the death of the oldschool coach. TMac Babcock, Guy Boucher, Keefe etc.

Most of the newer cup winning coaches are more adaptable and change strategies that exploit weaknessess in their opponents while playing to the strengths of their roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingsfan1

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
I want my players to do whatever it takes to win

Shutting your mouth and playing a losing system that both fans and players hate ain't it
I want my players to conduct themselves like a professional. Using Jim Miller as a scape goat is just low. The guy has been behind the bench for all of 2 months. We get it, there is going to be coaching and system changes in the offseason. I don't need my star players who just got spanked in a series where some of them including Fiala underperformed greatly talking about how the 1-3-1 was the reason they squeaked out 1 win.

Your premise is flawed as you have a very narrow vision of what "the right things" are. I don't think players should be trashing their coach or management in press conferences but this was pretty mild.

Did you watch his whole press conference or are you basing it all on this one small clip?
The right things are not criticizing the coaching after a series loss. Its why we don't get viral clips like this very often. Fiala could have discussed this in depth in a podcast in the offseason. Immediately following a disappointing series loss is not the time. He knows this too, he has been through tons of these in his career.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
I want my players to conduct themselves like a professional. Using Jim Miller as a scape goat is just low. The guy has been behind the bench for all of 2 months. We get it, there is going to be coaching and system changes in the offseason. I don't need my star players who just got spanked in a series where some of them including Fiala underperformed greatly talking about how the 1-3-1 was the reason they squeaked out 1 win.

The right things are not criticizing the coaching after a series loss. Its why we don't get viral clips like this very often. Fiala could have discussed this in depth in a podcast in the offseason. Immediately following a disappointing series loss is not the time. He knows this too, he has been through tons of these in his career.

You have a very generous definition of what a viral clip is.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Agreed, I want staff to lie and be afraid to voice their opinion.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It's not a bad look, he gave a great answer to the question with very sound reasoning. Clickbait title to this thread.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA

Miller inherited the 1-3-1 from McLellan, and the 1-3-1 in turn was imposed on both coaches by the GM, Blake. So Fiala was not scapegoating Miller. If he actually ditched the 1-3-1, though, he'd have been lauded by our fanbase.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad