Proposal: Kessel for Monahan

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I would have to think Arizona would be willing to retain 50% on Kessel if it got them Monahan and a 2nd. They could then retain 50% on Monahan next season and hopefully get another 2nd.
Lol. Arizona ownership is not going to throw away millions for two seconds.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I don't see how this helps Calgary other than Kessel's contract will be off the books this summer. But then, the same would happen to Monahan if he was traded for picks.
There really is no difference in scoring between the two this year (3 goals/6 assists vs 2 goals/7 assists). One is a declining 34 year old while the other still has a few good years left since he's only 27.
Nah... Monahan is a tradeable commodity this summer. Kessel isn't. I pass.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
If Monahan can't produce with Johnny Gaudreau on his wing then he certainly won't be able to do anything on Arizona. Look at how much better Gaudreau is this season playing and producing this year with an effective center in Lindholm, rather than an anchor.

Monahan is a shell of what he used to be and that has been going on for 2 years. With another year of this season left on @ $6.375m cap hit (not a big deal to Arizona) but $6m in real cash... he's a cap dump... Flames add.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I don't see how this helps Calgary other than Kessel's contract will be off the books this summer. But then, the same would happen to Monahan if he was traded for picks.
There really is no difference in scoring between the two this year (3 goals/6 assists vs 2 goals/7 assists). One is a declining 34 year old while the other still has a few good years left since he's only 27.
Nah... Monahan is a tradeable commodity this summer. Kessel isn't. I pass.
The Coyotes are the worst team ever iced. Kessel was on a 28g/82gp pace last season on an awful but not worst ever Coyotes team.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
A couple of seasons ago Flames fans laughed at Horvat for Monahan proposals. Now they want to trade him for Phil Kessel?
This thread brings back memories of my Monahan for Schmaltz proposal that got absolutely shit on a couple years ago. Oh how the turn tables.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This thread brings back memories of my Monahan for Schmaltz proposal that got absolutely shit on a couple years ago. Oh how the turn tables.
Time changes things. A couple of years ago Monahan was a 24 year old PPG center who scored 30 in his sleep on a team that had no other goal scorer. Trading the Sedins would look pretty wise now that they aren't playing too. At the time trading Monahan for Schmaltz would have been stupid and ridiculous. Horvat at least was a comparable player, just a type the Flames already had.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Earlier this year I felt that having RW sniper like Kessel would be ideal for Calgary. But with the performance to-date of Matthew Tkachuk and Andrew Mangiapane as RW's, I'm not so sure.

Our recently formed 3rd line of Dube/Monahan/Pitlick is coming along nicely in their role to play a tight checking, hard playing 3rd line.

Monahan's skating has improved as the season has progressed and showed more speed last night than we've seen in a while. His positional play was rock solid and he even threw some body checks for good measure. He has bought into this role and is more worried about someone scoring against his line than he is padding his own stats.

He has one talented winger (Dube) that is speedy, but is still trying to find his way. His other winger would have trouble scoring on an empty net. An upgrade there would be nice and the Flames do have talent knocking on the door in Stockton if need be. They also have the rugged Brett Ritchie (currently injured) that plays a hard forechecking game to open up room for his linemates.

Monahan has 9 points in 20, Kessel has 9 points in 19 (hope he fills the net tonight against Edmonton) so I don't see any chance of Calgary trading Monny for Kessel. His scoring will come and when it does Calgary will be even harder to play against than they are now.

Those that have followed Darryl Sutter during his coaching career know that he has some truisms that he is guided by.

1. Strength down the middle of the ice is needed to win (good centremen).
2. Have a core of 27-28 year olds to win (Monahan is 27. Gaudreau is 28. Lindholm turns 27 Dec. 2, Coleman just turned 29 in November).

Bottom line? For now Treliving will maintain the status quo. Whether he trades Monahan will depend on the size of some of the contract extensions for Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Mangiapane, and Kylington.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ace Rimmer and Rubi

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
From the outside looking in, I don't see the Flames trading Monahan cause they want to remain strong up the middle. It's a strength to their team and one of the reasons why they are #1 in team D in the entire NHL at the moment. Only team below 2 goals a game. It's not all Markstrom. If you take Monahan out, their could be ripple effects.

If the Flames want to add a top 6 winger or depth on D, they will do it through futures IMO. If there are cap space issues, they will target pending UFA's and ask for retention while they might try to unload a expiring contract of their own.

I can certainly see the Flames going on a run. Strong team D with great goaltending and a good counter attack is a good strategy. That's how the Habs went on their run last year. I would steer clear of trading Monahan for a winger at this stage.

Reactions: Nanuuk

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Since it's selling low on a player, and C is a valuable position, Arizona would have to add slightly. But they definitely have the draft capital to do that without flinching.

I really like this trade for both teams. Just depends on Calgary being willing to sell.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
After the season ends Arizona is going to need everything including centers.

The Coyotes are going to clean house, meaning if they are adding salary a fairly high draft pick may have to be attached to the struggling Monahan.
was just thinking that centers are a bit harder to acquire than wings..etc... IF Monahan gets back on track AZ could do worse than him. not sure why he's struggling?

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
was just thinking that centers are a bit harder to acquire than wings..etc... IF Monahan gets back on track AZ could do worse than him. not sure why he's struggling?
Sutter has cut down Monahan’s ice time and Sean has been pushed down to 3C, the confidence Monahan once exuded is gone and now Sean is being sheltered with offensive zone starts massively at ES, which tells me Sutter probably is thinking Monahan is a defensive liability.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I can certainly see the Flames going on a run. Strong team D with great goaltending and a good counter attack is a good strategy. That's how the Habs went on their run last year. I would steer clear of trading Monahan for a winger at this stage.

Flames aren't really a counter attack team. They're a 'have the puck all night' team.

In terms of Monahan, whatever gets him off the books for the summer is the key deal in this situation. The reality is Arizona is likely on his no-trade list. We also have a centre playing wing already, and one of the our top prospects is also playing centre in the AHL, so Calgary's not hard up in that regard.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Flames aren't really a counter attack team. They're a 'have the puck all night' team.

In terms of Monahan, whatever gets him off the books for the summer is the key deal in this situation. The reality is Arizona is likely on his no-trade list. We also have a centre playing wing already, and one of the our top prospects is also playing centre in the AHL, so Calgary's not hard up in that regard.

Look to move him in the off season cause moving him for cap reasons now could very well derail your team momentum.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Sutter has cut down Monahan’s ice time and Sean has been pushed down to 3C, the confidence Monahan once exuded is gone and now Sean is being sheltered with offensive zone starts massively at ES, which tells me Sutter probably is thinking Monahan is a defensive liability.

What are you going on about?

Monahan has 68 offensive zone faceoffs and 66 defensive zone faceoffs, and his zone starts are right in the middle of the pack on the team in terms of forwards..

Reactions: Nanuuk

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
What are you going on about?

Monahan has 68 offensive zone faceoffs and 66 defensive zone faceoffs, and his zone starts are right in the middle of the pack on the team in terms of forwards..
I am mistaken I click on all zone starts instead of ES, good catch.... Disregard everything I posted about zone starts.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I am mistaken I click on all zone starts instead of ES, good catch.... Disregard everything I posted about zone starts.

All good. Monahan has been outplayed by Lindholm since day one (which isn't a bad thing.. Lindholm is really, really good..) and Backlund has and always will be the more trusted 200 foot player at even strength. Monahan is kind of in limbo here in that 3C hole. He's doing exactly what is asked of him, but could definitely be better served elsewhere. He leads this team in PP points so his ability to produce is still there.

As for the OP. No chance. I want nothing to do with Kessel. I don't see a motivated athlete anymore - certainly not one that would flourish under Sutter at this stage of his career.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maurice of Orange

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019

You make it sound that Feaster is still the GM of the flames.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Look to move him in the off season cause moving him for cap reasons now could very well derail your team momentum.
Yeah. The Flames have relies on depth. Monahan, even though he's in a reduced role, is still a legit mid six center. Having him on the team let's Sutter double shift Gaudreau.

Unless a physical 60+ point top six player is acquired at the deadline, keeping Monahan makes the Flames a better team.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad