Line Combos: Kessel-Bozak-Van Riemsdyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaner13

Mar 27, 2011
I've reserved my judgment of Bozak over the last couple years but I was definitely leaning towards him not being a 1C on any team, but when he was out of our lineup this year our first line was awful and no one was able to fill the gap he left behind. The impact he has on that lineup was certainly an unexpected but welcomed one. Glad he is back and am able to see the value he has to this team.

Agreed. He plays a balanced overall game at what I consider to be a fair cap-hit. Kessel and JVR just look so much more comfortable playing alongside him. He rarely hurts the team, scores his share of points and, perhaps most importantly, can win faceoffs with the first line on the ice.

There are only so many bonafide "#1 centres" around the league. If we don't have one of those guys, at least Bozak does a pretty good job en lieu of one.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I read a blog post on NYI first line yesterday.

They've been absolutely insane.

It's too bad Tavares has to waste his talent there, the rest of the team is quite mediocre.

I hope NYI get's it's act together, is Tavares really gonna waste away on a barely or non-playoff team for another 5 or so years?

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Bozak's alright. This line is feeling it. Once upon a time I wanted Backes centering these guys for the all-american line, but Bozak has proven capable of hacking it.

Breakingbad28

Feb 3, 2011
Unfortunately for them, the Islanders haven't been doing so great themselves. 14th in the east behind by 5 points with 2-4 games more played than the teams in front of them. Won't be easy for them to replicate last season

Their 10-3-0 in their last 13. This looks a lot like last season where they came super hot in the second half to make the playoffs.

Revolt

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto
There were not a lot of us bozak supporters in the summer. Glad some of you guys are coming around and seeing his value to the team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The eye test said they have slowed down since I started this thread, but surprised when I tallied the stats, the same beat goes on for these 3 guys.

Since the Christmas break:

Kessel 22 points in 16 games
Bozak 16 points in 16 games
JVR 15 points in 16 games

I remember great Toronto lines: Sittler, Mcdonald, Thompson. Gilmour, Andreychuk, Clark. Sundin, Mogilny, Roberts.

This line fits the same bill as some of our best lines if they can continue their present pace.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Is there a better line in hockey right now? If there is, that would be one hell of a line because these guys are playing phenomenal.

Difference makers again tonight.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
seriously even Bozak looks like a beast on that line... they are insane right no

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The amazing thing about this line (beyond their play on the ice)... cost control.

Yeah, Kessel's going to make $8m next year... but the other 2 guys are locked up long term at $4.2m.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
The amazing thing about this line (beyond their play on the ice)... cost control.

Yeah, Kessel's going to make $8m next year... but the other 2 guys are locked up long term at $4.2m.
Noni's doesn't know what he's doing rite guyz

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Bozak and JVR combined at 8.45M per for the rest of this year and 4 more after that. That's value. They are underpaid and it is ridiculously underpaid.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Bozak and JVR combined at 8.45M per for the rest of this year and 4 more after that. That's value. They are underpaid and it is ridiculously underpaid.

Soon we will be hearing "Products of Kessel."

I like to think of it as supplements to Kessel :) It's kinda nice having one of the best lines in the league.

Lupul-kadri appear to be finding their game too. That's also a hell of a good second line when they find their game.

And on top of that, we have Bolland and Clarkson to fill up our 3rd line!

We have some scary depth.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Soon we will be hearing "Products of Kessel."

I like to think of it as supplements to Kessel :) It's kinda nice having one of the best lines in the league.

Lupul-kadri appear to be finding their game too. That's also a hell of a good second line when they find their game.

And on top of that, we have Bolland and Clarkson to fill up our 3rd line!

We have some scary depth.
Bolland is definitely missing. If he returns, I could see the shut down line time to sign offensive as well.

Holland? - Bolland - Clarkson

Bolland will likely continue his 55-ish point pace. I could see Clarkson and Holland's number increasing. We may even see Holland and Lupul swapped to create a dangerous shut down line.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Bolland is definitely missing. If he returns, I could see the shut down line time to sign offensive as well.

Bolland will likely continue his 55-ish point pace. I could see Clarkson and Holland's number increasing. We may even see Holland and Lupul swapped to create a dangerous shut down line.

Bolland 'aint going to continue his 55 point pace. That's totally outside what he's done throughout his entire career. He's a very good 40 point 3rd line centre when healthy, and there should be nothing wrong with that.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Bozak has been playing some really smart hockey lately, great reads all around. Made a hell of a play on Kessels 3rd goal.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Tyler Bozak has likely has changed opinions of those that claimed it was a mistake to resign him as the Leafs top line is very effective with him and not so much without him.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Tyler Bozak has likely has changed opinions of those that claimed it was a mistake to resign him as the Leafs top line is very effective with him and not so much without him.

There is hope for Clarkson after all. Kessel is lethal,JVR is looking like his draft position would have you think he would be and Bozak takes the right ice at the right time for some awesome chemistry.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto

It will most likely be Raymond instead of Holland.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
That pass from JVR to Phil was insane. Nothing but chemistry can take claim for that.

They are going to be an insane force in Sochi. If Bozie was American..... woosh.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That pass from JVR to Phil was insane. Nothing but chemistry can take claim for that.

They are going to be an insane force in Sochi. If Bozie was American..... woosh.

Exactly, chemistry is the word.

But my word is this line plays as a cohesive 3 man unit when they are together rather than 3 skilled talents.

This is what Bozak clearly brings to the line since his return.

Unit > Individuals

Bozak knows exactly where Kessel and JVR are on the ice at all times, Kessel and JVR know where each other are going to be, they all know when and where to go, when to hang back, when to go to the openings, when to anticipate going to the boards. It is apparent when you watch the game winning goal last night, and the cushion goal. It's chemistry, it's playing as a unit as opposed to 3 individuals.

All 3 players play on the same frequency, to see them all on the same wave length is simply a thing of beauty when they are hitting on all cylinders.

Unit will always beat 3 individuals.

#beauty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad