Value of: Kessel @3.4aav for a Goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Hello trade proposal forum!

Phil Kessel put up 28g per 82gp pace last season on a dog shit Coyotes team with no talent. He’d be a big bargain at 3.4aav.

Arizona is tanking. Kessel would like a trade and it has been reported that he wants to move on, after his BFF Rick Tocchet was shown the door.

The Coyotes are currently trying to figure out which of Carter Hutton, Josef Korenar, and Karel Vejmelka will tend goal for them. Like in the NHL. As NHL goalies. Hahahaha. Hahaha. Haha. Ha. The Coyotes need a goalie.

So who would be willing?

NYR - Georgiev?
DAL - Bishop (+pick) or Khudobin (+pick)?
NSH - Ingram (+pick)?
COL - Johansson (+pick) or Francouz?

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I'd give Johansson + a mid round pick for Kessel (@ 3.4 million) if thats the asking price, he could be a nice piece to bolster the depth for this season

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
How do we fix your cap situation?
It'd have to be Francouz + Helm + a pick for Kessel @ 3.4 because we could fit that

If you were looking only for Johansson I don't see how it could be arranged unless Compher was going back the other way

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
It'd have to be Francouz + Helm + a pick for Kessel @ 3.4 because we could fit that

If you were looking for Johansson I don't see how it could be arranged unless Compher was going back the other way
Kessel (50%) & Korenar for Francouz & JTC (50%) ? Makes the cap pretty even for this year. Makes JTC much more tolerable for next season.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Kessel (50%) & Korenar for Francouz & JTC (50%) ? Makes the cap pretty even for this year. Makes JTC much more tolerable for next season.
I don't mind that deal. Lets fax in the papers.

Granted there are some Avs fans who like JTC more than I do so they might balk since they wouldn't want to retain 1.8 million for 2 years, but I think its a fair offer.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Sharks need a winger with Kane maybe gone, and Kessel would offer good veteran presence; we have an extra starting goalie, too. How about Kessel for Hill (he's good if you haven't seen him)

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I would do Kessel(50%) for Adin Hill. Absolutely. Would give you Korenar back, too. I’d throw in Fischer if you want.
Okay I was kind of memeing, and it wouldn't happen this way. but if Kane doesn't come back I would love to have Kessel, and would probably do it.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You can have our backup goalie (NYR) but we have no room for Kessel.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Johansson + Kaut + Compher for Kessel @ 50% would be a decent deal for both sides IMO.

Could be a decent deal for both sides IMO.

Yotes get a Goalie, a depth forward and a prospect that's just not working out with the Avs depth. Avs get a Top 6 winger to fill the void of Brandon Saad.

Reactions: McJedi

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Ottawa doesnt have a young goalie that matches this type of deal anymore (Stupid Seattle). A smaller deal of Forsberg for a mid round pick could be done. Arizona has 30 million picks so im sure a mid round pick wouldnt hurt them too much and Forsberg would actually give them a goalie that had over a 0.90 sv% last year

That being said Ottawa should be interested in Kessel it will just have to be picks/other position prospects in return. Ottawa doesnt have a goalie prospect to give up that meets the current parameters

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Then go rescue Edmonton from Koskinen or something. I just dont think its a good idea to trade Kessel for something you really dont need
I don’t think you’ve given this enough consideration. There’s a difference between losing 50 games and getting absolutely run over 50 times.

The Coyotes hired a 1st time NHL head coach that needs to establish credibility. The chose him because he’s had an extremely successful track record of developing young talent. They want him to “grow with the team”. They want him around for the long-haul.

Part of their young core (Chychrun, Timmins, Soderstrom, Keller, Hayton, etc) are already on the team. They’ll have the next wave coming right up very, very soon (Guenther, Jenik, Moser, and Kolyachonok as soon as next season).

How long does it take for a first time NHL coach to lose all credibility and to be completely tuned out if his team is completely out of games in the first period consistently and blown out regularly? How long does it take for frustrations to boil over and things to become toxic? That’s the environment for developing young coaches, young players and establishing a culture of a team? Nah man.

They need a decent goalie so they can hang around in games and at least be a hard out. They had the 10th worst record in the league last season BEFORE they traded Kuemper, Hill, Garland, Dvorak, and OEL. They’ll be much worse than 10th worse, even if they trade Kessel for an okay goalie like Georgiev or Francouz, or Khudobin. But they’ll at least be able to compete some of the time. That’s the key.

Reactions: banks

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Johansson + Kaut + Compher for Kessel @ 50% would be a decent deal for both sides IMO.

Yotes get a Goalie, a depth forward and a prospect that's just not working out with the Avs depth. Avs get a Top 6 winger to fill the void of Brandon Saad.
Compher’s salary next season is a huge turn-off. If you retained on him, that would make this work for me.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

That trade makes sense if Arizona are willing to accept. However I'm not sure Kaut and Johansson (who will likely be available on waivers before the season starts) bridges the gap in value between JTC and Kessel, especially considering the $4m difference in real dollars favouring Colorado.

Kessel has a $1m salary this season (signing bonus has already been paid), so Kessel at 50% is $500k in salary whereas JTC is making $4.5m this season. Are Arizona's owners willing to swallow that for Kaut and 2 years of JTC?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Francouz is a non starter. Avs are cup contenders and Kuemper is injury prone, so Francouz will definitely be needed. His value is also not very high after missing a year of hockey.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
That trade makes sense if Arizona are willing to accept. However I'm not sure Kaut and Johansson (who will likely be available on waivers before the season starts) bridges the gap in value between JTC and Kessel, especially considering the $4m difference in real dollars favouring Colorado. Kessel has a $1m salary this season (signing bonus has already been paid), so Kessel at 50% is $500k in salary whereas JTC is making $4.5m this season. Are Arizona's owners willing to swallow that for Kaut and 2 years of JTC?
That’s why I’m thinking retention on JTC and Francouz instead of Johansson. Keeps the cap neutral for COL this season, and take the pain out of eating JTC an extra year for AZ.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Francouz is a non starter. Avs are cup contenders and Kuemper is injury prone, so Francouz will definitely be needed. His value is also not very high after missing a year of hockey.
Makes sense. I just don’t know if Johansson is even an upgrade on Korenar anyway. Add in the JTC thing, and it’s maybe more trouble than it’s worth, afterall.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
JTC isn't a negative value asset and we're not retaining on him to trade him, that defeats the purpose of trading him.

Francouz is a non starter. Kaut is still a solid prospect with decent value, just running into the numbers game situation in Colorado.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
JTC isn't a negative value asset and we're not retaining on him to trade him, that defeats the purpose of trading him.

Francouz is a non starter. Kaut is still a solid prospect with decent value, just running into the numbers game situation in Colorado.
Not in the market for Kaut. In the market for a goalie. I strongly disagree about JTC but that’s not the point of this discussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad