Proposal: [email protected](50%) to SJS or NJD

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Looking at bubble teams trying to make the playoffs that had bad power play results last season. San Jose and New Jersey were among the league’s worst in PP% and in total GF. Kessel can help.

The Devils did add Tatar and Hamilton, so maybe that’s enough? The Sharks might be losing Kane. So maybe that’s extra motivation?

Figured I’d throw this out there as see what people think:

To SJS: Kessel(50%)
To ARI: Brandon Coe

To NJD: Kessel(50%)
To ARI: Nikita Okhotyuk

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Looking at bubble teams trying to make the playoffs that had bad power play results last season. San Jose and New Jersey were among the league’s worst in PP% and in total GF. Kessel can help.

The Devils did add Tatar and Hamilton, so maybe that’s enough? The Sharks might be losing Kane. So maybe that’s extra motivation?

I'd rather keep Coe. We have plenty of young wingers to try in a year we shouldn't expect much in - no reason to worry about adding a little more offense this year.

Reactions: Gecklund

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
What’s the plan up in San Jose? I can’t figure it out. Everyone knows what Arizona is doing. Everyone knows what Tampa is doing. But what are the Sharks doing?

Competing and rebuilding simultaneously, which is confusing and probably suboptimal, but that's the plan.

Reactions: hidek91 and rt

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What’s the plan up in San Jose? I can’t figure it out. Everyone knows what Arizona is doing. Everyone knows what Tampa is doing. But what are the Sharks doing?

As it relates to Kessel, that's going to depend on how the wingers we have do. Right now, Eklund, Balcers, Dahlen, Meier, Barabanov, and Labanc are their wingers in the top three lines. If the Sharks needed to dip into that part of their lineup to get someone like Jack Eichel, I wouldn't mind going out and replacing them with Kessel in another trade but as of now they're going to see what they have.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Well NJ was in on Tarasenko. They could still be looking for a top RW.

And NJ is pretty stacked on LD so parting with Okhotyuk won’t hurt too bad. Just not sure if the one year of Kessel is worth it.

I’d probably do it.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
How about Bowers? Seems like he’s out of runway in COL and just about to bust? Maybe one last shot in AZ will do the trick? He’s got to be better than Travis Boyd at least, right?

I'd be totally fine with that from the perspective that it doesn't seem like Bednar/Sakic will actually give him a shot...Now if only we were actual GMs, haha

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I'd think long and hard about it. Coe has a lot of potential to be a long-term middle-six option here in SJ but Kessel is still an effective top-six forward and would be solid vet depth for cheap.

Might be more of a deadline decision, after we see how the Sharks play through this year. Not sure they're a Kessel away from having a good playoff run.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Without Kane in the room and some actual goaltending going on, they look like a different team. Eklund's exceeded our expectations and we have plenty of other rookies coming in and impressing off the bat. In a terrible division like the Pacific, they might just try to make the playoffs and see what happens. Probably nowhere near a competitor, but things are looking up for the first time in a couple years.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I don’t hate it, but I don’t see where the Devils could put Kessel in a position to thrive. Devils could certainly use a RHS in their forward group, has Kessel been playing RW?

Hischier likely plays matchup minutes so Kessel wouldn’t play with him. With Hughes at evens, that line would be way too soft. Possibly if Mercer pans out, he could play on a third line with Kuokkanen and Mercer to do the dirty work?

If I am Fitzgerald, I may try to throw Johnsson in there rather than retain on the deal if he gets off to a poor start. Okhotiuk would be a fair price to pay, although I would hate to see him go.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I don’t hate it, but I don’t see where the Devils could put Kessel in a position to thrive. Devils could certainly use a RHS in their forward group, has Kessel been playing RW?

Hischier likely plays matchup minutes so Kessel wouldn’t play with him. With Hughes at evens, that line would be way too soft. Possibly if Mercer pans out, he could play on a third line with Kuokkanen and Mercer to do the dirty work?

If I am Fitzgerald, I may try to throw Johnsson in there rather than retain on the deal if he gets off to a poor start. Okhotiuk would be a fair price to pay, although I would hate to see him go.
Kessel plays primarily RW. His 5v5 linemates don’t seem to impact him that much. His best play was with Hagelin and Bonino.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Not giving any value for Kessel sorry. Not sure id even be interested in him
FWIW, SJ did show interest during the draft.

Sabres re-engage interested teams after meeting with Eichel's representatives

“I do think there will be a lot of eyes on Phil Kessel once the season begins. There were some conversations around the draft (the Sharks came up there, too, but that’s not going to happen).”

No context if the “not happening” bit was due to lack of interest after getting Eklund or just the price.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
FWIW, SJ did show interest during the draft.

Sabres re-engage interested teams after meeting with Eichel's representatives

“I do think there will be a lot of eyes on Phil Kessel once the season begins. There were some conversations around the draft (the Sharks came up there, too, but that’s not going to happen).”

No context if the “not happening” bit was due to lack of interest after getting Eklund or just the price.
I do remember that, but I think it makes sense to not have it happen. Hes not the piece that pushes us anywhere better than we are, and would cost assets.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I do remember that, but I think it makes sense to not have it happen. Hes not the piece that pushes us anywhere better than we are, and would cost assets.

The only way I see them going after Kessel in the short term is if they do complete a deal for Eichel and want a replacement to someone like Meier or Labanc being a part of that deal. Otherwise, it would be a deadline or injury-related acquisition. I'd trade Arizona Ben Gaudreau but I wouldn't move Coe for him. It's hard to see Kessel staying in San Jose past the season if acquired.

Reactions: themelkman

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The Oilers want in on this action, what would the ask be? Keep in mind that some cap would have to be going back.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
If we decide we can compete, I'd do it. Coe could carve out a decent career, but Kessel is a legit scorer. At 50%, I really like him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad