Player Discussion: Kent Johnson - Winger or Center?

What is Kent Johnson’s most likely future Blue Jackets role in the next two years?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I hope he truly loves the gym too. Superficially I could be lead to believe that he's gotten stronger in recent months.

The cross training with roller hockey is something I'm a little iffy on. I know all the BC kids do it but it's not the best when you're trying to improve foot speed and edge work on the ice. You need to go past the natural limits of what you can do on wheels.
Apparently KJ and Lindstrom workout together in the off-season.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Kid truly loves the game.
I made this comment last offseason and I followed it up with a concern which I admitted was baseless as far as reported or quoted evidence, just a sense.

It's clear he loves playing the game. I just wonder if he's passionate about winning, about competing, about team success.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I hope he truly loves the gym too. Superficially I could be lead to believe that he's gotten stronger in recent months.

The cross training with roller hockey is something I'm a little iffy on. I know all the BC kids do it but it's not the best when you're trying to improve foot speed and edge work on the ice. You need to go past the natural limits of what you can do on wheels.
It’s nice to see players who love the game, especially after guys like Dubois have been around.

You turned a rare complement into something negative.
I made this comment last offseason and I followed it up with a concern which I admitted was baseless as far as reported or quoted evidence, just a sense.

It's clear he loves playing the game. I just wonder if he's passionate about winning, about competing, about team success.
Hard to refute a baseless claim /s

Here is a quote from Mel Pearson though:
"He’ll be able to [get bigger and stronger to be a C in the NHL] because he’s got the will and the want, and he’s definitely got the smarts to do that. ... They’re getting a really good player who’s gonna do everything he can to become a great player."

Jeff Tambolini TBL Pro Scout:
“He’s never been given the benefit of the doubt, he’s had to earn everything. He’s going to go from never having worn a Canadian jersey to maybe being a top 10 pick.”

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Just messing around, I posted a quote above.
LOL so hard but not impossible? Or maybe that was actually easy!

Anyway I've always liked KJ. Likeable player with a desirable skillset. That said, it is possible to be super jonesed about playing the game but not be driven. For example enjoying just the feel of skating and passing and shooting and making sweet plays just for their own joy while being less concerned about whether you win. Which is not to suggest the player doesn't want to win or is more interested in putting up stats or scoring lacrosse goals or whatever. (Anyone remember the tennis pro Gael Monfils? Damn he was a beauty player.)

I'd say that I'd like to be wrong about KJ but I don't even know that it's a position I hold. It's just related somewhat to the "loves the game" thing, with which I agree. So I posted it.

Last edited:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
LOL so hard but not impossible? Or maybe that was actually easy!

Anyway I've always liked KJ. Likeable player with a desirable skillset. That said, it is possible to be super jonesed about playing the game but not be driven. I'd say that I'd like to be wrong about KJ but I don't even know that it's a position I hold. It's just related somewhat to the "loves the game" thing, with which I agree. So I posted it.
This is a good quote too:
He’s probably one of the most dedicated athletes to his craft that I’ve ever seen,” Tambellini said of Johnson’s game. “He’s a worker. He’s on the ice at all times — when you let him — he just wants to get better. He wants to work on his skating, he wants to work on his puckhandling, he wants to work on his passing. He always believes he can be better and he always believes he can take his game to the next level.“

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This is a good quote too:
He’s probably one of the most dedicated athletes to his craft that I’ve ever seen,” Tambellini said of Johnson’s game. “He’s a worker. He’s on the ice at all times — when you let him — he just wants to get better. He wants to work on his skating, he wants to work on his puckhandling, he wants to work on his passing. He always believes he can be better and he always believes he can take his game to the next level.“
Yeah I added some context to the post you quote here, if you're interested.

"On the ice all the time" is the exact point. I would never doubt that. It probably feels great and gives joy. But is he driven to compete? Again, I'm just asking.. And I realize it's a complicated semantics thing. I should probably just let it go.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Yeah I added some context to the post you quote here, if you're interested.

"On the ice all the time" is the exact point. I would never doubt that. It probably feels great and gives joy. But is he driven to compete? Again, I'm just asking.. And I realize it's a complicated semantics thing. I should probably just let it go.
I think all are old enough to drive :sarcasm:

That is subjective, How do you quantify? How do you know if his drive to compete is any higher than Cole Sillinger’s? Do you value internal drive, as a form of competition? Do you question others? Is Sillinger safe from criticism regarding his drive? If so, why?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think all are old enough to drive :sarcasm:

That is subjective, How do you quantify? How do you know if his drive to compete is any higher than Cole Sillinger’s? Do you value internal drive, as a form of competition? Do you question others? Is Sillinger safe from criticism regarding his drive? If so, why?
Why would anyone be "safe from criticism"? Jokes aside about it being ""what we do here," I just don't get the question.

And of course it's subjective. Some things you just watch and you get impressions and form opinions and share them on message boards where they might be agreed or disagreed with.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Why would anyone be "safe from criticism"? Jokes aside about it being ""what we do here," I just don't get the question.
The people who would be safe are those who “you just watch and you get impressions and form opinions and share them on message boards”

I am more so asking, what other players do you worry about their drive, and who are those young players you don’t worry about? Sillinger is an arbitrary example. I am asking because this is the first player I have seen you state a “concern” about not having the drive to compete.

Maybe if I can understand who you aren’t concerned about vs who you are, I can get a better idea of what impressions/factors you may value.

Ad

Ad

Ad