Proposal: Keller to CGY

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Flames biggest problem right now is lack of depth.

Solution: Trade two of our better depth guys AND 2 1st rounders for one guy.

Forget value for a second. How on Earth does thar make sense?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Keller isn't even available. He stepped his game up big time under an actual coach and is wearing an A now. No reason to move him and he doesn't want to leave.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
We still have a major hole at top 6 RW and/or RHS top 9. The only way many Calgary deals make sense is if we do a quantity for quality deal to upgrade an existing player. Crouse makes no sense to me. Why are we targeting another LW when we already have one hell of a LW logjam?

I don't fully understand why Calgary wants Chychrun, but if I'm playing with a concept, a sort of 3 way trade might make sense with Arizona/Calgary/STL.

Arizona IF needing to move Chychrun, would likely do it for futures and a little bit of cap back. Cap back might be important to teams doing the trades.

Blues needing a LD bad to replace JBo as Parayko's partner. They seem to have been sniffing around Chychrun, but I wonder if cost too high and Chychrun's style is unknown to be good chemistry with Parayko? Hanifin is so much like JBo, it's more likely to work at a price the Blues are happier paying?

Flames maybe do not mind upgrading on Hanifin to a legit 1D. He's a solid 2/3. Hanifin constantly has been joked as the second coming of JBo. Chychrun's style might fit Sutter better?

Ari:
In: Futures value of Chychrun + cap to help balance for both teams
Out: Chychrun

Calgary:
In: Chychrun
Out: Hanifin + value difference Hanifin vs Chychrun

STL:
In: Hanifin
Out: Futures value of Hanifin

===========

The original Keller trade doesn't fully make sense. Adding Lucic disincentives the other team and I doubt he even waives. Arizona needs serious incentives to let go of one of their very few players with term. Targeting Keller for RW seems like overkill when he's (by my understanding) a competent top 6C. It would be like misusing Lindholm at RW instead of C all over again type of thing. Flames are better off looking at other options for RW/2C than Keller. Longer term, Flames need to give Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Mangiapane and Kylington big raises, so 2022 cap has to be carefully evaluated as well (2023 Lucic is off the books).

Crouse would be a Lucic replacement. Lucic would play 4th line next season and Crouse on the 3rd

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Why is Calgary involved in this proposal? Cut the middle man and St. Louis acquires their top pair LD.

Because if Flames trade Hanifin, we need a top 4 LD replacement. I don't think we should feel comfortable with: Kylington top pair, Zadorov 2nd pair, valimaki/Mackey third for LD.

I'm also saying Chychrun doesn't make sense unless it's a deal like that.

Crouse would be a Lucic replacement. Lucic would play 4th line next season and Crouse on the 3rd

...?

I thought OP includes lucic in the trade. The high acquisition cost just to toss Crouse on the third line behind Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Mangiapane etc. While still not addressing our gaping hole at RW seems I'll advised, no?

Ledge And Dairy

Because if Flames trade Hanifin, we need a top 4 LD replacement. I don't think we should feel comfortable with: Kylington top pair, Zadorov 2nd pair, valimaki/Mackey third for LD.

I'm also saying Chychrun doesn't make sense unless it's a deal like that.?
Trading Hanifin would be a big mistake.

As for Chychrun, I agree one of the current top 4 LD would have to go out but I think it should be Kylington. I dont see that happening though

Reactions: Figgy44

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
How is that the case? He has a 4.9% shot so far this year but his his underlying numbers have been solid. That's called bad puck luck
The guys numbers are always pretty similar, half his points come in a 20-25 game span. He quite simply isn't consistent enough to be top 6 and too expensive to be a 3C. He's been good enough to pass but not good enough to take you anywhere for a while now and that isn't going to get better as he ages. You said yourself the cap could be used better elsewhere. Did your opinion change in the last couple hours or should we continue to ride it out.

Ledge And Dairy

The guys numbers are always pretty similar, half his points come in a 20-25 game span. He quite simply isn't consistent enough to be top 6 and too expensive to be a 3C. He's been good enough to pass but not good enough to take you anywhere for a while now and that isn't going to get better as he ages. You said yourself the cap could be used better elsewhere. Did your opinion change in the last couple hours or should we continue to ride it out.
I really dont think we are on the same page here, who exactly replaces what he does? Whether Backlund is streaky or not doesn't really matter, his role is a shutdown 3C and for the caliber of 3C he is 5.35M is only a bit on the expensive side. Look at some of the other best 3C's in the league who play very similar roles: J. Staal (as previously mentioned) = 6M, Pageau = 5M, *Danault = 5.5M, Eriksson Ek = 5.25M, Gourde (previous few years) ≈ 5.17M, Coyle (in previous years) = 5.25M, Dvorak = 4.45M, **Carter = 5.27M, W. Karlsson = 5.9M.
* Danault is technically 2C right now but will very likely be moved down to the 3rd line long term as LA's young forwards pass him.
** Carter is currently retained by another team

Backlund sits right around average there, maybe a bit above it. The issue with Calgary this year hasn't been Backlund, it's been Monahan's struggle that has forced Backlund to play a much more demanding role than he should be. Arguing "he's not good enough to take you anywhere" doesn't make a lot of sense considering the last 2 cups were won with a 5.5M 3C.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
there is this idea out there. that players who had good seasons, this or last, will automatically trade for multiple firsts, plus
(like OP of Zary + 1st +)
there is no consistent history in NHL of such prices, and i bet it doesn't happen this season either

(especially for a guy w $7Mx6 Cap Hits pending)

too many posters at HFB expect NBA style trades, big stacks of promising youth/picks for a proven player
those are much rarer in NHL

we'll see if that becomes the NHL way, too, but I doubt it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad