Proposal: Keller to CGY

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Have a hard time knowing what Kellers value is but ya I'd do it from Calgary's perspective.

I like Zary but that broken ankle seems to have really hurt him this year.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Nope.

Keller
for
Matthew Tkachuk
1st round pick
Zary

your proposal isn’t good. We don’t want your scraps for our all star.
giphy.gif

First and prospect are on the wrong side of that trade

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Nope.

Keller
for
Matthew Tkachuk
1st round pick
Zary

your proposal isn’t good. We don’t want your scraps for our all star.

The first proposal is bad for Arizona and that's proposal is very bad for Calgary.

Tkachuk > Keller, easily and i'm big fan of Keller, amazing hockey player

Last edited:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Backlund would never waive and should not be moved for a winger. Highly doubt Arizona would do this though
Backlund and his $5.35 million contract aren't helping us win now or in the future. If he can be moved, he should be moved. That being said, we don't need to be acquiring a $7+ million, 50 point player right now either.

IrishFin

Jun 9, 2016
Keller now has 29 points in his last 31 games. He is finally starting to break out now that Tocchet is gone. It would likely cost a lot for the Coyotes to have any incentive to move him. His contract doesn't look as bad as it was looking a year ago.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Keller now has 29 points in his last 31 games. He is finally starting to break out now that Tocchet is gone. It would likely cost a lot for the Coyotes to have any incentive to move him. His contract doesn't look as bad as it was looking a year ago.
I thought any contact over 6 figures, in real dollars, looked bad to the Coyotes, no?

Ledge And Dairy

Backlund and his $5.35 million contract aren't helping us win now or in the future. If he can be moved, he should be moved. That being said, we don't need to be acquiring a $7+ million, 50 point player right now either.
I see the argument for Backlund as something similar to Carolina with Staal. 33 and a 6M cap hit for this year and the next, 11 points. However, he is an effective player for their team as a shutdown center and team leader. Could his cap be used more efficiently? Sure but they are not anchored by his cap by any means and he is helping them succeed.

Reactions: Reinhart

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I see the argument for Backlund as something similar to Carolina with Staal. 33 and a 6M cap hit for this year and the next, 11 points. However, he is an effective player for their team as a shutdown center and team leader. Could his cap be used more efficiently? Sure but they are not anchored by his cap by any means and he is helping them succeed.
It's all relative to what's available and attainable. Obviously the Coyotes would probably not entertain this but holding onto the ghost of Backlund isn't going to make the Flames better either. If he can be unloaded, he should be. Keller is definitely not the piece that the Flames should be targeting though.

Last edited:

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I didn’t think Keller had so much term left. I don’t know if he’d be my target if I was putting a big-game-hunting package together. Would rather add more and get scheifele or barzal or take a gamble on Dach.

A Keller trade to calgary right now would have to include Lucic and Pitlick for sure and then one or both of Monahan or Backlund would have to leave in the summer, unless Gaudreau doesn’t sign in which case I don’t see the point.

Ledge And Dairy

These two aren’t good trading partners unless we’re talking Kessel, Crouse, or Chychrun. Keller isn’t a need for the Flames.
I would take Keller on Calgary in an instant, he is an excellent hockey player. The issue is the cost is way too high, he doesnt fill a positional need (though he can play RW), and acquiring him all but guarantees Gaudreau is gone which is not worth it

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Backlund has been who he always has been. Solid player that bends over backwards in fun, unique ways to somehow not score. He should be a 3C that you can trust against top lines.

Problem is Monahan is taking forever to get back up to speed so backlund is getting put into a position to score which just isn't his strength.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Backlund has been who he always has been. Solid player that bends over backwards in fun, unique ways to somehow not score. He should be a 3C that you can trust against top lines.

Problem is Monahan is taking forever to get back up to speed so backlund is getting put into a position to score which just isn't his strength.
He is producing less than he normally does.
At 5.5M they expect some offense, more than a typical 3rd liner.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
These two aren’t good trading partners unless we’re talking Kessel, Crouse, or Chychrun. Keller isn’t a need for the Flames.

We still have a major hole at top 6 RW and/or RHS top 9. The only way many Calgary deals make sense is if we do a quantity for quality deal to upgrade an existing player. Crouse makes no sense to me. Why are we targeting another LW when we already have one hell of a LW logjam?

I don't fully understand why Calgary wants Chychrun, but if I'm playing with a concept, a sort of 3 way trade might make sense with Arizona/Calgary/STL.

Arizona IF needing to move Chychrun, would likely do it for futures and a little bit of cap back. Cap back might be important to teams doing the trades.

Blues needing a LD bad to replace JBo as Parayko's partner. They seem to have been sniffing around Chychrun, but I wonder if cost too high and Chychrun's style is unknown to be good chemistry with Parayko? Hanifin is so much like JBo, it's more likely to work at a price the Blues are happier paying?

Flames maybe do not mind upgrading on Hanifin to a legit 1D. He's a solid 2/3. Hanifin constantly has been joked as the second coming of JBo. Chychrun's style might fit Sutter better?

Ari:
In: Futures value of Chychrun + cap to help balance for both teams
Out: Chychrun

Calgary:
In: Chychrun
Out: Hanifin + value difference Hanifin vs Chychrun

STL:
In: Hanifin
Out: Futures value of Hanifin

===========

The original Keller trade doesn't fully make sense. Adding Lucic disincentives the other team and I doubt he even waives. Arizona needs serious incentives to let go of one of their very few players with term. Targeting Keller for RW seems like overkill when he's (by my understanding) a competent top 6C. It would be like misusing Lindholm at RW instead of C all over again type of thing. Flames are better off looking at other options for RW/2C than Keller. Longer term, Flames need to give Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Mangiapane and Kylington big raises, so 2022 cap has to be carefully evaluated as well (2023 Lucic is off the books).

Ledge And Dairy

We still have a major hole at top 6 RW and/or RHS top 9. The only way many Calgary deals make sense is if we do a quantity for quality deal to upgrade an existing player. Crouse makes no sense to me. Why are we targeting another LW when we already have one hell of a LW logjam?

I don't fully understand why Calgary wants Chychrun, but if I'm playing with a concept, a sort of 3 way trade might make sense with Arizona/Calgary/STL.

Arizona IF needing to move Chychrun, would likely do it for futures and a little bit of cap back. Cap back might be important to teams doing the trades.

Blues needing a LD bad to replace JBo as Parayko's partner. They seem to have been sniffing around Chychrun, but I wonder if cost too high and Chychrun's style is unknown to be good chemistry with Parayko? Hanifin is so much like JBo, it's more likely to work at a price the Blues are happier paying?

Flames maybe do not mind upgrading on Hanifin to a legit 1D. He's a solid 2/3. Hanifin constantly has been joked as the second coming of JBo. Chychrun's style might fit Sutter better?

Ari:
In: Futures value of Chychrun + cap to help balance for both teams
Out: Chychrun

Calgary:
In: Chychrun
Out: Hanifin + value difference Hanifin vs Chychrun

STL:
In: Hanifin
Out: Futures value of Hanifin

===========

The original Keller trade doesn't fully make sense. Adding Lucic disincentives the other team and I doubt he even waives. Arizona needs serious incentives to let go of one of their very few players with term. Targeting Keller for RW seems like overkill when he's (by my understanding) a competent top 6C. It would be like misusing Lindholm at RW instead of C all over again type of thing. Flames are better off looking at other options for RW/2C than Keller. Longer term, Flames need to give Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Mangiapane and Kylington big raises, so 2022 cap has to be carefully evaluated as well (2023 Lucic is off the books).
Why is Calgary involved in this proposal? Cut the middle man and St. Louis acquires their top pair LD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad