Proposal: Keller Be Killed: CBJ + ARI + OTT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Columbus out: Voracek, Nyquist
Columbus in: Keller, Schmaltz, Stralman

Arizona out: Keller, Schmaltz, Stralman
Arizona in: Nyquist, Murray, T.B.'s 2022 2nd

Ottawa out: Murray, T.B.'s 2022 2nd
Ottawa in: Voracek

Columbus - which has difficulty attracting free-agents and retaining their high-end talent - add a couple of skilled but overpaid players signed to long term contracts who are more in line with the age of their current core. Stralman, who's in the final year of his deal, gives them a veteran RD to add depth to their blueline

Arizona rid themselves of 2 talented but overpaid and under-performing players whose prime years will be wasted while the team rebuilds. They also pick up another 2022 2nd rd pick. The salaries of Murray and Nquist will be needed to reach the cap floor next season, but the trade saves the Coyotes 8 million in real dollars this season minus the salaries of whichever ELC players are used as replacements. It's also worth noting that both Keller and Schmaltz are set to earn more in real dollars than their actual cap hits in the final years of their contracts, making them less desirable to a cash-strapped organization like Arizona who is half a decade away from contention

Ottawa get an expensive veteran winger who can be a leader to their young core of forwards for the next few seasons, while also ridding themselves of one of the worst free-agent signings in recent memory

Not sure what combination they'd go with, but the Blue Jackets' top 9 could look something like:

Keller - Schmaltz - Laine
Domi - Texier - Bjorkstrand
Jenner - Sillinger - Roslovic

If Sillinger struggles and ends up in the AHL, Roslovic can slide to C with Chinakhov moving up

Or maybe Domi gets moved at the deadline and that opens up a spot for Chinakhov

It's not a lineup with any future Hart contenders, but if some of their young players are ready to step up, it's solid group with enough skill to be competitive game in and game out

Last edited:

SNES

Aug 7, 2012
Manotick
ridding themselves of one of the worst free-agent signings in recent memory….

Say what now?

member 334057

That just seems brutal for the Coyotes. Keller is the same age as Chychrun at 23 and Schmaltz is only 25. Those are guys that can be a part of a rebuild and the foundation of their core in a few years with whatever pieces that are added in the next couple of drafts and develop from their current prospect pool.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This is really bad for the Coyotes and not particularly apt for the Sens or Jackets either.

If Coyotes are going to be stuck overpaying players, they might as well be young players that have some chance at improving.

And the Jackets actually want the veteran presence of Voracek and Nyquist. They've got better young talent coming than Schmaltz/Keller and don't want the term on those deals.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I hope those lines aren't in order because if you're making this trade to put Keller and Schmaltz on your top line, your season is already over like ours is.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
That just seems brutal for the Coyotes. Keller is the same age as Chychrun at 23 and Schmaltz is only 25. Those are guys that can be a part of a rebuild and the foundation of their core in a few years with whatever pieces that are added in the next couple of drafts and develop from their current prospect pool.

This is really bad for the Coyotes and not particularly apt for the Sens or Jackets either.

If Coyotes are going to be stuck overpaying players, they might as well be young players that have some chance at improving.

And the Jackets actually want the veteran presence of Voracek and Nyquist. They've got better young talent coming than Schmaltz/Keller and don't want the term on those deals.

Columbus robs everyone.

Did you read the reasoning in the OP?

First off, Keller and Schmaltz are 50 point players at this point... that's not worth holding onto through a lengthy rebuild that could take half a decade or more

Secondly, Schmaltz is set to make 24.45 million in real dollars over the last 3 seasons of his contract... that's no bueno for a cash-strapped team like Arizona

Thirdly, Chychrun only has 4 years left on his deal before he's a UFA, so he should be traded as well. If Arizona was shrewd, they'd wait until next season when they can retain 50% of his salary in order to maximize the return... that salary retention can help them reach the cap floor in the coming years

Given their cap hits and real money owed compared to their production, I think it's an easy call for the Yotes to part ways with Keller and Schmaltz while there still may be teams interested... if they wait another year or two and neither show signs of improvement then Arizona is likely stuck with them for the duration of their contracts, which I'll point out again are set to pay them more than their cap hit during the final seasons

For the reasons I just mentioned, I think it's Columbus who should be weary

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Arizona has seven players under contract next year. Seven. They're not cash or cap strapped by any stretch of the imagination. And you traded two very usable forwards for an overpaid goalie who isn't even a starter and a 2nd round pick.

Wow, what amazing logic.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
If Arizona made trades like this, the Coyotes roster would look like this by the end or the season.
D7DE286C-AA4F-41D2-A8E2-E72D5B5CE0DF.gif

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Hope one of the players coming back is a top 6 playmaker, cause Laine is never going to get back on track if CBJ trade their only 2 away.

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
Seems really bad for ARI

Arizona in: Gustav, Murray, T.B.'s 2022 2nd

Keller is a good player still young Only 23 and Schmaltz is a decent player too. And ARI gets a late 2nd and hopefully Gustav flip later seems very bad value there (Murray is just a mess right now so hes more a cap dumb)

And im not a ARI fan

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
This is not a pun. It's just shoe-horning a name into a phrase with zero contextual relevance. It's nonsense. Ron McLean is in the process of euthanizing himself just so he can roll over in his grave.

Also, the trade proposal is not good.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
This is lousy for Arizona. Sorry, man. The next one will be better. Like the pun. :)

Arizona has seven players under contract next year. Seven. They're not cash or cap strapped by any stretch of the imagination. And you traded two very usable forwards for an overpaid goalie who isn't even a starter and a 2nd round pick.

Wow, what amazing logic.

Seems really bad for ARI

Arizona in: Gustav, Murray, T.B.'s 2022 2nd

Keller is a good player still young Only 23 and Schmaltz is a decent player too. And ARI gets a late 2nd and hopefully Gustav flip later seems very bad value there (Murray is just a mess right now so hes more a cap dumb)

And im not a ARI fan

Keller's contract isn't much worse than Skinner's at this point...

And I've pointed out a couple of times what the back end of Schmaltz's contract looks like

So, if you think those are plus assets worth holding onto while the Yotes hang out at the bottom of the standings for the next half a decade, well, we'll just have to agree to disagree...

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Keller's contract isn't much worse than Skinner's at this point...

And I've pointed out a couple of times what the back end of Schmaltz's contract looks like

So, if you think those are plus assets worth holding onto while the Yotes hang out at the bottom of the standings for the next half a decade, well, we'll just have to agree to disagree...
I’m confident in my opinion, and I believe you’re off the mark in a variety of ways. And it’s just a result of you not really following the Coyotes like I do. So no fault of your own. What’s more, is that makes you a lucky guy. Haha. Because it’s painful to follow the Coyotes as closely as I do. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad